Author Topic: Where are you good people walking DURING the week?  (Read 276134 times)

Mel

• Veteran Member
Re: Where are you good people walking DURING the week?
« Reply #615 on: 22:20:22, 11/09/18 »
I did a nice but short circuit from Elloughton this afternoon.  Lovely and leafy and a nice bit of ascent/descent to remind my legs that hills do exist.

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #616 on: 16:39:28, 13/09/18 »
Re-did an 8.5 miler in Upper Nidderdale North Yorkshire yesterday, took some pics but cannot get em onto flickr easily now. Think will just repost my link from last time!
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #617 on: 19:32:53, 13/09/18 »
Nice walk around Kelsey Gardens/Lakes this afty.  I even went to explore a track that veers off the "normal" route to see what was what.  And now I know!  But I can't tell you or else I'll have to kill you  ;)

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #618 on: 20:35:59, 13/09/18 »
I'm off to Eyemouth in the morning for a few days, exploring up and down the coast around St Abbs etc. Will probs visit Berwick upon Tweed if the weather's a bit rubbish on one of the days, but I'm hoping it wont be too bad!

See ya Wednesday! :D
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #619 on: 20:54:07, 13/09/18 »
I walked in the area around Burwash today, a beautiful walk in the glorious lush rolling countryside of the Sussex High Weald.  Warm and sunny   :)

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #620 on: 20:32:15, 17/09/18 »
I walked from Bishopstone, which is on the coast near Seaford, to Lewes via Glynde today.  A linear walk, taking in a stretch of the South Downs Way, but for much of the time on less-frequented downland paths.  Warm and sunny, with wonderful views, and plenty of peace and quiet and solitude.  Lovely    :)

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #621 on: 22:11:39, 18/09/18 »
I walked three quarters of a mile backwards and forwards on a bowling green this evening. This challenging walk took me 2 hours  :D

... then I ate cake  :)

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #622 on: 15:54:16, 19/09/18 »
I'm off to Eyemouth in the morning for a few days, exploring up and down the coast around St Abbs etc. Will probs visit Berwick upon Tweed if the weather's a bit rubbish on one of the days, but I'm hoping it wont be too bad!

Well, the weather was much much better than I expected! Very little rain, at least during the day(s).
We actually stayed in a B&B in Coldingham, which is a small village to the North West of Eyemouth.

Friday (arrival day) afternoon; Just had a mooch around the village to get our bearings and visit the remains of Coldingham Priory. Not much to see there, so had a walk down to the local beach at Coldingham Bay.  What a lovely unspoilt beach!  Really liked it there and spent some time exploring and sea glass collecting.

Saturday; Walked from Coldingham Bay on the coast path to St Abb's Head and then back again. The harbour in St Abb's village is said to be one of the most photographed in Scotland and I could see why. Well worth a wander around there if you're up that way. Watched a local fisherman unloading his catch of crab and lobster, although it did make me wonder about the amount of marine life fisherman take from the sea on a daily basis, and how sustainable it really is :-\
There's a fab little cafe near the harbour, where I indulged in a hot choc and a home made fruit scone with jam & cream :P
Great views of dolphins from St Abb's head and a few seals around too.

Sunday; Had a couple of shorter walks, the first being from Coldingham Bay to Eyemouth during the morning. Not that impressed with Eyemouth itself, although the chippy (Mackays) did fab fish & chips.
After lunch, we drove up to a little place called Cove and walked down to the harbour. An unusual place to say the least but quite cute and quirky too. The path to the beach goes through a little tunnel through the cliff face.
Walked from Cove along the coast path to Pease Bay, which would have been lovely had it not been for the huge caravan park that sat right at the back of the beach. ::)  Hence we didn't bother dropping down onto the sands.

Monday; Drove down to Burnmouth (South of Eyemouth) but there was very little to get excited about there. Walked for about 10 minutes on a pebbly beach in an area called Cowdrait and had a very short wander around the harbour, before giving up and leaving!  Parked at the top of the hill instead and then walked along the coast path to the edge of Eyemouth.
After lunch, we went back to Coldingham Bay and walked into St Abb's, then did some more sea glass collecting on the beach.  Sat for a while watching a young seal trying to haul itself onto the rocks.

Tuesday; Drove into Berwick upon Tweed and walked the city walls, which I found really interesting. Had a wander alongside of the River Tweed to the remains of the castle.  There's really not much left of it at all!
Mooched around the town a bit, exploring and looking at all the old buildings etc.
Had some lunch and then left for home around 2pm.
We quite liked it in Berwick and will definitely return for another visit.  In fact, we were really impressed with the whole area! O0

***Happiness is only a smile away***

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #623 on: 09:45:03, 21/09/18 »
Sounds like a lovely trip, Sunnydale.  O0  I've never been to that area but everything I've seen and read about it tells me I'm missing out.

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #624 on: 10:15:05, 21/09/18 »
My cousin and his wife have just been for hols there, perhaps you saw them?
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #625 on: 12:10:19, 21/09/18 »
Most of us living on the western side of the Uk, have probably postponed all planned walks for this week.
Its either been storm force winds, or such heavy rain, that going out in it, would be a bit pointless.
Usually September is a nice month, plenty of days for country walks, but its been one of the most unsettled Septembers i can remember for many years.

Ive had one decent day out this month, a long trip, where i circumnavigated the entire outline of Wales.

Starting in Conwy, i drove down the A470 to Cardiff, then headed west towards Swansea, Tenby, Pembroke, St Davids, up towards Fishguard via Haverfordwest, Cardigan, Aberystwyth, Machynlleth, and home to Dyffryn.

A journey of 463miles in one day, which in hindsight was a bit too much, taking over nine hours, but its a trip ive always wanted to undertake, and realistically can only be attempted out of the holiday season due to less traffic.

That was Thursday of last week, and ever since the weather has been downhill ever since, but no doubt i bet they have been going up Snowdon, even in this very unsettled weather.
« Last Edit: 12:14:26, 21/09/18 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #626 on: 12:38:09, 21/09/18 »
Do you ever find yourself find yourselves in a truly beautiful place. Last Tuesday we found ourselves drinking our coffee on a bridge over the Shropshire Union canal on the Staffs/Shropshire border, if you have clicked on the link you will see the bridge shown as a pronounced diagonal to the canal. The construction fascinated us because all the sandstone masonry was cut to this angle, but that was not the beauty. It is quite a high bridge, and gives a breathtaking view either along the canal, slanting sunlight penetrating the lengthy tree canopy playing on the water and cutting.

Sometimes being in a special place at captured moment makes the craft of walking so worthwhile. I was not following a guide book route, just searching maps grew my curiosity to this area. If you have clicked the link to Streetmap and gone one bar up on the zoom, notice the Beer Mug, this was where we parked, walking through the door was a time warp back to the sixties, a proper country boozer, just without the overhanging fug of ciggy smoke. After a coffee, £1 each, to which I added a voluntary parking donation and was still well below Costa Coffee, we set of in the direction of Knighton Wood. I had not loaded the route into a GPS and as the farming practices are rather contrary to the access network, setting the map was quite important. With some variation to the righteous way we chose our own convenience in crossing the terrain, quite prepared to defend ourselves from any objecting wurzles.

The wood was a delight, followed by open fields, then one of those anomalies of out rights of way system, that plays at odds with the indifference this forum seems to hold sussamb's post. There we go, then onto 2 miles of towpath and some interesting chats with passing canal folk. Passing my aforementioned bridge and stop we came off the towpath, where another pub is marked, sadly now a private des res, and walked north along a road a bit too busy for comfort.

At Offley Road Farm we turned west, terrain was interesting and picturesque, but soon ran into 25 acres of potatoes the ridges undisturbed by any sign that the RoW crossed the field.  We followed the spoor of 'one man and his dog', who seemed to know and walked the entire south perimeter of the field set in by the headland ridges of the potatoes. However I lost his track at the field boundary, this combined with some seriously scruffy estate management made finding a partially collapsed bridge, not marked by OS, difficult to find. Don't think I would have liked to have led a group of ramblers over it but Mrs BWW was over it in short order.
 Exited the other side of the wood boundary to a lovely lakeside meadow and a short length over road back to the Haberdasher's Arms, where the locals told us we had just walked into the last real pub in the whole UK if not the world.
A thoroughly enjoyable day and about 6 miles walking.

BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #627 on: 12:42:03, 21/09/18 »
The secret of walking in this weather DA is like that of good comedy.......................................................................timing.

We managed to slip in a couple of local trips this week between the weather, either circular from the house or catching the bus down the road a ways and then working a route back through the back lanes.
I've got everything battened down outside and fingers crossed.  Should be over by Monday.

PS - not sure road trips count for this thread  :)
Solvitur Ambulando

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #628 on: 12:50:12, 21/09/18 »
I did manage a three mile trek around Tenby, so i did complete a walk, but parking of any kind there, is a total nightmare.
Weather on Wednesday in Dyffryn, 60+mph winds, Thursday, horizontal rain, lasting over seven continuous hours, today, yet more very high winds, with opening my front door-  difficult to say the least !!

There's no secret in walking in this kind of weather, if you do not have to venture out in such weather, wait until the weather improves.

The only negative issues in living in the Western half of the British isles, is the inevitable autumn and winter storms.

This week its been very unseasonably tough, and i cannot imagine what it would be like on the main Rhinog summits.

If i find it difficult to open my front door, accessing the mountains would be interesting to say the least.

Somehow, i do not even think i could safely reach any of the peaks, such is the strength of the wind here on the west coast.
« Last Edit: 12:56:14, 21/09/18 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

gary m

• Veteran Member
« Reply #629 on: 17:12:56, 21/09/18 »
Sunday and monday up the arans in the rain
you have 1 life live it

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy