Author Topic: Yorkshire Three Peaks Challenge Route  (Read 8014 times)

High Way Chris

Yorkshire Three Peaks Challenge Route
« on: 18:05:24, 09/01/18 »
Is anyone is planning to walk the Yorkshire 3 Peaks Challenge Route between now and Easter?
We are trialling a new route guide and looking for walkers to test the map. If you would like a free copy please email me your name and address. There's limited numbers so 1st come 1st served.
My contact details are on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/SkywarePress/ [nofollow]

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
Re: Yorkshire Three Peaks Challenge Route
« Reply #1 on: 22:08:44, 10/01/18 »

Hi Chris,
I'm going to do it in June, but I don't need the route map as I've done it many times before. If you like though I feel I'm familiar enough with the route to provide you some critique and comment if that's what you're after...

I don't do Facebook so I won't be visiting your page. 8)

High Way Chris

« Reply #2 on: 08:15:23, 14/01/18 »
Thank you Hillhiker1. The map is in the post.

Peter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 09:29:28, 15/01/18 »
Interesting.
I live in the area and know every bit of the route. Always surprises me how many I meet walking this that don't actually have a clue.
I get asked for directions all the time. "Is it much further?" Usually asked on the Whernside ascent.
I tend to look at their kit (or  lack of) and genuinely worry.

Good luck with your endeavors  :)

Just occurred to me you need to get these into the cafe at Horton. I'm not sure what competition you might have. But that is the first part they struggle with. Which way to go in Horton?
Peter
sometimes I fall off the learning curve....
Join: Yorkshire Dales Walking Buddies
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1783012625307

High Way Chris

« Reply #4 on: 14:35:19, 16/01/18 »
Thanks Peter. The idea came about because of the increasing number of call outs CRO were getting from ill prepared 3 peakers.

MichaelUK

« Reply #5 on: 20:08:42, 03/04/18 »
Im planing to do it May 5th, as part of my 60th birthday celebrations; 2nd. Have never done it before, and will be on my own, map and compass in hand! I have read several guides. Wouldnt mind looking at your guide.

Deerplay

« Reply #6 on: 23:58:04, 03/04/18 »
I have been asked whether I want to do it in June with others. I don't know yet whether I will. I have done three peaks before. Didn't think you needed a guide if you know how to read a map. However for those who can't or, won't it should help. I don't do facebook so can't comment on there or anything.
Will this wind be so mighty as to lay low the mountains of the Earth?

Lakeland Lorry

« Reply #7 on: 08:22:45, 04/04/18 »
Is anyone is planning to walk the Yorkshire 3 Peaks Challenge Route between now and Easter?
We are trialling a new route guide and looking for walkers to test the map. If you would like a free copy please email me your name and address. There's limited numbers so 1st come 1st served.
My contact details are on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/SkywarePress/

Although I've no plans to do the Yorkshire 3 Peaks again, I am hoping to do the Lady Anne's Way sometime this summer.  Until I checked out your Facebook page, I wasn't aware that you'd published a guide to the route.   I've got Sheila Gordon's 2003 edition of the route, but your guide looks much better.   I'll definitely be getting a copy of it.

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 08:51:57, 04/04/18 »
6 of us are doing the walk at the emd of the month.3 have done it before and 3 are newbies to it.

Have sent p.m.
« Last Edit: 09:01:36, 04/04/18 by Slowcoach »
It's all uphill from here.

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 10:01:56, 04/04/18 »
To be honest, if anyone is doing the Y3P walk any weekend after Easter, there really is no need for a guide as you just follow the train of fellow walkers as there's usually some charity event on  O0
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Peter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 12:05:24, 04/04/18 »

Although I've no plans to do the Yorkshire 3 Peaks again, I am hoping to do the Lady Anne's Way sometime this summer.  Until I checked out your Facebook page, I wasn't aware that you'd published a guide to the route.   I've got Sheila Gordon's 2003 edition of the route, but your guide looks much better.   I'll definitely be getting a copy of it.

Just noticed your reply. The official route was changed since 2003. They were growing tired of losing people in the bogs. It now goes over Whitber and is well made.

Peter
sometimes I fall off the learning curve....
Join: Yorkshire Dales Walking Buddies
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1783012625307

Lakeland Lorry

« Reply #11 on: 13:10:40, 04/04/18 »
@Peter

Sorry Peter, I may have confused things.   I was talking about the Lady's Anne's Way book that Sheila Gordon produced in 2003, and not the Y3P route.

High Way Chris

« Reply #12 on: 13:14:25, 04/04/18 »
Thanks for the help everyone. If anyone still wants a map just send your address as a personal message. You wouldn't think walkers would get lost would you - with the crowds and the paved sections and the fingerposts - but they do. Cave Rescue who do most of the rescues in the Three Peaks area have far too many call outs from ill prepared 3 peakers who don't have a map(or a clue!) The idea behind this is it's a light, cheap map for people who don't think they need one!

High Way Chris

« Reply #13 on: 13:18:20, 04/04/18 »
Hi Peter
Hope you enjoy Lady Anne's Way. It was waymarked recently - minimal signage in line with the Yorkshire Dales policy and you'll still need a route guide, but nice to see it recognised after all these years.

MichaelUK

« Reply #14 on: 21:26:24, 04/04/18 »
im a belt and braces man! Ill be taking a map and compass and viewranger on my phone, with a large capacity battery pack. Its a shame they have omitted the peat bogs! I get a perverse pleasure in them; I enjoy the challenge!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy