Author Topic: OS Maps online / mobile advice  (Read 4628 times)

RubberSoul

OS Maps online / mobile advice
« on: 20:41:35, 06/02/18 »
Hi folks, just looking for some advice. As a back up to paper maps, I'm looking to use an electronic format. OS maps have a mobile subscription  for £24.99). The descriptions of what is included are frustratingly vague. ' Discover the UK...' 'Plot your own routes' 'Subscribe to unlock the beauty of our...blah blah paper maps'

The questions I have are
-How much are the maps to download once subscribed? Or are they free to download?
-Can you download as many as you like?
-What scales are available to download?

Has anyone had experience using from this subscription?

Mel

• Veteran Member
Re: OS Maps online / mobile advice
« Reply #1 on: 21:16:58, 06/02/18 »

-How much are the maps to download once subscribed? Or are they free to download?  They are free but you can't "download" them as such, only "cache" or print them for offline use.  The maps disappear once your subscription stops.
-Can you download as many as you like?  Apparently, yes, within reason.  Not download, cache or print for offline use.
-What scales are available to download?  The important ones.. 1:25K, 1:50K

Has anyone had experience using from this subscription?  Yes.  I prefer Viewranger now.

To reiterate, you can't "download" the maps but, for the duration of your subscription, you will have access to the whole of the UK(?) to view, cache for offline use and print off for "free" so to speak.  Once your subscription ends, access to these maps disappears, along with access to all the routes you've saved.  Obviously your printed maps are there forever but... well, yeah, good luck with trying to print the whole of the UK onto A4 sheets of paper without massacring a small rainforest   ;D   (  :-[  )

One thing I'm unsure of though, if you buy a paper map that has the little scratch off thingy to download the digital version, you still have these to use via the OS Maps app once your subscription has finished.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 21:34:38, 06/02/18 »
If you buy the paper maps, with the scratch code, the down load is for life, supposedly.   :)   I certainly have maps, bought 3 years ago, that I have access to, using this system and I love it. 

I'll be interested to see what happens when the maps I have are updated.  ie If the digital down load is updated or if OS provide an archived map.  The latter seems impracticable over time to me, as some one who develops databases for a living, so I'm hopeful it could be the former.  Time will tell.  O0

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:53:29, 06/02/18 »
That's useful to know about the scratch n sniff download code maps BuzyG.

A point to note though, OS update their maps ALL the time and I would be very surprised if the digital download is also updated without incurring some sort of extra cost.  The reason I say this is, at work, we have OS mapping and it is updated every couple of months to reflect new housing estates, new roads and demolished areas (amongst a whole bunch of other stuff).  Naturally, as a business, we pay premium business prices for this and, if we stopped, we'd be left with the last version we had paid for.

If you think about it, OS would soon go out of business if everyone bought their maps, got the digital download and then didn't need to pay another penny for new maps because the digital maps auto-updated.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 11:23:20, 07/02/18 »
I use the app 'Backcountry' on Android to view OS maps, there's a free version and a one off paid version.

RubberSoul

« Reply #5 on: 13:21:18, 08/02/18 »
Thanks all! Really useful replies. I'll look into the backcountry app. Mel - Pros and cons of viewranger please. BuzG - Cheers. Indeed I read about that code. Really useful.

I didn't intend to print hard copies for trips out but more as a back up on the screen on my phone, which will always be with me. Cache or screen shots of the routes I'll be going on will be fine.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 17:38:00, 08/02/18 »
That's useful to know about the scratch n sniff download code maps BuzyG.

A point to note though, OS update their maps ALL the time and I would be very surprised if the digital download is also updated without incurring some sort of extra cost.  The reason I say this is, at work, we have OS mapping and it is updated every couple of months to reflect new housing estates, new roads and demolished areas (amongst a whole bunch of other stuff).  Naturally, as a business, we pay premium business prices for this and, if we stopped, we'd be left with the last version we had paid for.

If you think about it, OS would soon go out of business if everyone bought their maps, got the digital download and then didn't need to pay another penny for new maps because the digital maps auto-updated.

Your probably right on that Mel.  The beauty of walking on the SW moors is, they don't change much any way.  I still carry a paper map with me I used for Ten Tors back in 1981.  Thought I have two newer versions. Those have covers on them, so are a pain to use.
« Last Edit: 17:41:29, 08/02/18 by BuzyG »

RubberSoul

« Reply #7 on: 21:48:17, 24/02/18 »
Hi, me again!  
I have another question. The subscription...if I subscribe on the laptop, will I be able to use that same subscription on my phone too? I am guessing so but can't find anything on the OS website that states subscription covers both phone and laptop/desktop.

I'm just wary of subscribing via my laptop just in case it doesn't work on my phone, or vice verca.

If anyone can confirm I'd be very grateful

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 22:07:52, 24/02/18 »
Yes, you can/it does.  You have to download the OS maps app onto your phone and it will sync with your computer.

https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/shop/os-maps-subscription-12-months.html

5th paragraph taken from ^^^ that link:

"Use your subscription with the OS Maps app to download any section of map to your iOS (Apple) or Android device for use outdoors, even without a data connection. View your location and planned route or record your travels with the built-in GPS functions."

RubberSoul

« Reply #9 on: 22:14:13, 24/02/18 »
That is awesome thanks Mel. I didn't see that page (and I scrolled through lots of pages on their site!)

Plus I found that there is a £19.99 subscription on desktop, saving a fiver. Not much but every little helps.

Now I know it will cover both platforms, I'll get on it. Cheers again.

tom83

« Reply #10 on: 22:29:54, 24/02/18 »
I have the subscription to OS maps, and I find it very useful. Basically I plan and plot my walks on my laptop, and save them. Then on my mobile, cache the map areas, and then open my planned route and follow it. It is really easy to use, and even if you don't plot a route, you can still follow yourself on the map using the GPS.

geordie33

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 08:27:31, 25/02/18 »
I use this and find it particularly useful for field edges etc.You can use on 5 devices per sub.I have the android app and also use it on windows 10.

MichaelUK

« Reply #12 on: 16:51:32, 25/02/18 »
I have both a subscription, through Viewranger, and my paper map downloads through the OS maps. The subcribed maps are more up to date compared to the paper bought map digital version. Maybe a reason not to buy paper maps, although I still enjoy spreading the paper map out and deciding where to walk today and planing my route.

Dan1902

« Reply #13 on: 17:13:25, 25/02/18 »
What about Bing Maps and the free OS map option?
Not bad for printing out and taking with you.

RubberSoul

« Reply #14 on: 19:28:11, 01/03/18 »
I didn't know about Bing/OS option, cheers Dan, I'll take a look.
In the meantime, does anyone who has registered with OS know if it possible to print onto A4 the same number (or roughly) grid squares that are on a standard OS map? I can't see an option to change the printing settings.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy