Author Topic: Pennine Way by day walks...  (Read 2953 times)

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
Pennine Way by day walks...
« on: 16:51:12, 16/10/18 »
Hello everyone.

Due to medical issues I cannot normally walk distances of over 12 miles in a day, (8 to 10 currently) normally takes a few days to recover. Also cannot wear/carry a rucksack, again due to medical issues.

I've been walking the Pennine Way in this way for a couple of years, good weather walker! have chatted to a lot of lovely folk from all over the world.

So far have walked, in various ways, from Hawes to Dufton and from Garrigill to Bellingham ... cannot see how to do Cross Fell, but thought by building up strength, one day maybe.

I'm expecting to continue northwards and see this is going to be challenging!

The route after Byrness ....

using online maps there appear to be various tracks or minor roads I can access by car, park up and go walking. Problem is without actually seeing them I am unsure if they are accessible to the public and are suitable for a car.

Has anyone any experience, information or assistance?

I can give details of what I've worked out if useful.

Any help will be greatly appeciated.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: Pennine Way by day walks...
« Reply #1 on: 20:29:10, 16/10/18 »
There are numerous routes after Byrness used by some b&b's to drop off/pick up guests so some are definitely accessible by car.  You should be able to look at them in street view through Google earth or Google maps.

Problem is most if not all still leave you with an uphill walk to actually get to the Pennine Way, but good luck in your endeavours.
Where there's a will ...

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 23:17:48, 16/10/18 »
Anyones experience of these being feasible or unlikely?

Byrness to Chew Green - 10 miles return approx.

Chew Green to Lamb Hill - 10 miles return approx.

Carlcroft to Lamb Hill via Mozie Law, Black Braes to Carlcroft - 10 miles return approx.

Heatherhope to Kings Seat - 10 miles return approx.

Blackseat Hill to Kings Seat - 12 miles return approx.

Blackseat Hill to Auchopecairn - 10 miles return approx.

Cocklaw Foot to Auchopecairn - 7 miles return approx.

Cocklaw Foot to Black Hag - 10 miles return approx.

Kirk Yetholm to Black Hag  - 8.5 miles return approx.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 08:25:26, 17/10/18 »
I really admire your wish to crack the Pennine Way this way and you will certainly find this section very challenging.  Doing this area as you need to though you will find you're expending a lot of energy and time climbing up onto/descending from the main ridge line.  You say you can't carry a rucksack, but if you could persuade someone to do it with you doing the lot in one go over 3 days, and using the two huts that are there at about the 9 and 18 mile point from Byrness to 'overnight' would be a good option, or Forest View at Byrness does packages that include dropping you off/picking up from Cocklawfoot farm. Having said that individual comments are below.

Byrness to Chew Green.  Steep climb at the start to get you up onto the top at Byrness Hill, but a good track up to the parking spot at Chew Green.  Unless you're particulary keen to walk every part of that route it may be better to park at Chew Green, and walk to Byrness Hill, returning from there so missing the steep climb?

Chew Green to Lamb Hill - 10 miles return approx.  As above, easy to park at Chew Green

Carlcroft to Lamb Hill via Mozie Law, Black Braes to Carlcroft.  Again, easy to park along that road, though you may be better using the parking area at Blindburn.  Be aware though that much of the area around there is part of the Otterburn training area, so may be closed at certain times.  The firing schedule is available here https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/otterburn-firing-times.

After that I'd use Cocklawfoot as your parking area, from there you'll face a climb onto the ridge but could head right to Mozie Law or left to Auchope Cairn.

To tackle the part from Auchope Cairn you could either park in KY or further along the road towards Burnhead, both would allow you to take either the lower or higher route.

Others may have better ideas  O0
Where there's a will ...

andybr

« Reply #4 on: 09:20:15, 17/10/18 »
There is a book called "Circular walks along the pennine Way" by Kevin Donkin which contains 50 routes which cover the whole of the walk as circular day walks. It still seems to be available and might be helpful.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 09:25:26, 17/10/18 »
Hadn't come across that before. Not expensive either for a used copy so worth the punt perhaps https://www.amazon.co.uk/Circular-Pennine-Frances-Lincoln-Walkers/dp/0711226652
Where there's a will ...

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 09:41:24, 17/10/18 »
I'm afraid cannot undertake overnight stops, the information provided is really helpful, thank you.

Unfortunately noticed these daily circular walks often exceed my distance, that's why I'm attempting to explore my own routes.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 10:11:09, 17/10/18 »
Dodgy, I have done most, but not all, of the PW from below Horton up to Garrigill as a series of circular day walks.  I have dropped the tracks of these walks on to gpsies.com and haroldstreet.org.uk.  You are welcome to look to see if there is anything there that will help.  Look under the user name ninthace.  You do not need a log in on either site to explore them.  I didn't get much further north though - too far for a day trip.
Solvitur Ambulando

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 20:48:33, 17/10/18 »
Ninthace, Thanks for those links; if I've followed them correctly it shows a lot of walks - congratulations!

Once again if I've followed correctly I see some walks in the Weardale area, I thoroughly enjoyed doing the Weardale Way seeing wonderful sights and meeting lovely friendly people, if at times struggling to follow route, but that is part of the fun for me! Recommended.

Fairly new to walking in the hills and log all my routes on mapometer, wasn't actually aware of these sites.

Thanks again - maybe we should swap houses for a while!!!

forest view

« Reply #9 on: 10:07:28, 31/10/18 »
Hi I am sorry that I was unable to help this guy although I did try, just for the sake of accuracy I pick up and drop off on the South side of the ridge about 1.6 miles off trail not at Cocklawfoot. Joyce
www.forestviewbyrness.co.uk 
# 1 place to stay in Byrness (Tripadvisor)

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 10:56:45, 31/10/18 »
Ah thanks Joyce, my apologies, thought it was at Cocklawfoot.  Is it by Uswayford Farm?
« Last Edit: 10:59:48, 31/10/18 by sussamb »
Where there's a will ...

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 19:40:50, 19/07/19 »
Hi I am sorry that I was unable to help this guy although I did try, just for the sake of accuracy I pick up and drop off on the South side of the ridge about 1.6 miles off trail not at Cocklawfoot. Joyce

Hi I've mainly been doing South Tyne Way this year, have only been on Pennine Way a few times and have nearly reached Byrness. Have met loads of people receiving your assistance.

Can I drive and park at Cocklawfoot? If so what is the best way to get there, by car?

Thanks

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy