Author Topic: Boots that don't grip when the surface is wet!  (Read 4333 times)

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
Re: Boots that don't grip when the surface is wet!
« Reply #15 on: 19:49:46, 06/04/20 »
I agree that foot placement including position, angle and pressure are important, as is body angle. I have successfully climbed steep verglas in boots (no crampons) and ice axe, but this took extreme care to keep my boots flat and my weight over my boots. When I got to the top I relaxed and leant forward, causing my heels to lift slightly off the ice. I then descended rather quickly, eventually under control of my ice axe. When it is wet or slippery, progress needs to be more deliberate, ensuring secure footing in preference to speed.

vizzavona

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 08:07:53, 07/04/20 »
Hello... Maybe a better description of the surface... Re previous post...would be Neve rather than verglas?
I had always considered the use of verglas to describe what happens when water freezes over a rock surface.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 13:39:21, 07/04/20 »
Hello... Maybe a better description of the surface... Re previous post...would be Neve rather than verglas?
I had always considered the use of verglas to describe what happens when water freezes over a rock surface.
I don’t think it was Neve, as I understand that this is compacted snow. This was definitely clear greenish ice over rock, but several inches thick, which might not fit with the verglas definition. Perhaps it was just glacial ice? This was part of a glacier (Glacier du Clot des Cavales) at 3,000+ metres approaching Col du Clot des Cavales in the Dauphine region of the French Alps. The ice was very hard and it was difficult to chip handholds - a bit like striking iron. I have just looked at this on Google Earth and was a bit shocked that it showed just rock, when there was a lot of snow and ice when I was there in the height of summer.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 14:37:18, 07/04/20 »
I have had a similar experience of a very heavy glaze of ice on snow, sufficient to be load bearing and hard to even scratch.  I do not know what that is called, but I do know if your skis lose their grip and you fall over, the crevasse at the bottom comes up awful quick.
Solvitur Ambulando

Pitboot

« Reply #19 on: 14:52:33, 07/04/20 »
It's bloody cold down there too.

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 17:18:23, 07/04/20 »
I have had a similar experience of a very heavy glaze of ice on snow, sufficient to be load bearing and hard to even scratch.  I do not know what that is called, but I do know if your skis lose their grip and you fall over, the crevasse at the bottom comes up awful quick.
Sounds like a bearing crust, possibly glitter.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy