Author Topic: Tent  (Read 5815 times)

Pitboot

Re: Tent
« Reply #15 on: 20:24:47, 15/04/19 »
Thanks for all of the replies, sorry I'm a bit late to respond, blame my weekend night shifts! I'll give those suggestions some consideration.

Pitboot

« Reply #16 on: 20:27:47, 15/04/19 »
richardh1905, ideally all in one, that's what I've got with the Laser. Having said that there will be two of us and I'm sure I can train the boss up to speed up the process if it's raining, but she won't need much motivation.

Butchersboy

« Reply #17 on: 18:46:17, 16/04/19 »
Wild country helm 2 owner here, ticks all the boxes

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 21:36:08, 16/04/19 »
Wild country helm 2 owner here, ticks all the boxes

I'm interested - What is it like in strong winds?
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 14:21:11, 17/04/19 »

I'm interested - What is it like in strong winds?
Heres the helm 1 richard O0

https://youtu.be/B6H-vLPvidk
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 15:37:11, 17/04/19 »
Impressive, Beefy. Almost as windy as Orkney!

Pitboot

« Reply #21 on: 15:59:15, 20/04/19 »
After consideration I've ordered a Helm 2 and footprint. Thanks for the input lads.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 16:09:42, 20/04/19 »
Let us know how you get on with it, pitboot, I for one am most interested.

dank86

« Reply #23 on: 21:11:53, 09/05/19 »
alpkit jaran 3 should do you

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 11:48:57, 10/05/19 »
Have you looked at Naturehike tents?

Pitboot

« Reply #25 on: 11:56:40, 10/05/19 »
No, see above. I've got a Helm 2 now. Wanted to get a tent from a nominally British or European brand even though I know they are made elsewhere, at least Wild Country have some sort of back up over here.
Also the Helm only cost me £160.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 15:26:50, 10/05/19 »
Have you used your Helm properly yet, I've looked at the Helm 1 for ages but as yet cannot find a proper Review on it.

Pitboot

« Reply #27 on: 16:58:47, 10/05/19 »
Next week if the gods be kind. I've seen some Helm reviews and it seems ok. We don't camp in extreme conditions, yet, and will have to accept any weather that arrives when we start our wild camping. Will report once we've had some use of the tent.

https://youtu.be/_lMQZ4vNHfQ

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 17:37:33, 10/05/19 »
Having watched your YouTube video of the Helm tent I can see one potential problem for you, which broke one segment of my pole. The solution is very easy.

My Zephyros One tent also requires a long pole to be pushed through a nylon sleeve. One end goes in an eyelet then the pole is held at the other end and then pushed into another eyelet which creates a curve along its whole length. In the YouTube video, the weather is dry so the blue pole slides easily in the nylon sleeve, the curve is created and then the other end is secured to the second eyelet.

My mistake was to try to erect my tent in exactly the same way when it was wet! I pushed the pole through the nylon sleeve and secured it to the first eyelet. I then attempted to put the other end in the second eyelet and didn't think about the curve at all, I just assumed it would slide easily like always. I then heard a CLICK and one section of the pole just snapped!

The snap occurred because I didn't realise at the time, that when wet the pole does not slide easily through the nylon tube! In damp or wet conditions the metal pole and the nylon sleeve can make each other stick together like glue which can stop the pole sliding through as it is supposed to. I've repaired my pole now and if its damp, wet or even dry I always ease the pole with my fingers fully into its curve BEFORE I fit it into the second eyelet.

Now that I know what happens I can now easily ensure that the pole does not snap again.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 22:15:46, 10/05/19 »
Always worth taking your time and being careful when inserting the poles into the sleeve.

I damaged the sleeve netting on my now sold Coleman Phad 3 tent as I was heavy handed whilst trying to pitch it in a hurry before the Loch Lomond midges ate me alive.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy