Author Topic: Warm lightweight overjacket/layer  (Read 1761 times)

lostme1

• Veteran Member
Warm lightweight overjacket/layer
« on: 11:48:06, 16/10/20 »
 These days my walking is limited and I need to rest more even on my short walks in my local area. It has been OK in the summer as I could sit outside and pre covid in winter I have made use of tearooms etc to get a mid walk 45 minute break as somewhere warm to sit and rest. These facilities may not be open as covid progresses and I am looking for options so I can still get out of the house and walk.

I am seeking a warm, lightweight, packable jacket to wear over everthing else so I can have a rest with my flask of hot drink whilst sitting outside. I have plently of layers (base layers/fleeces etc) I can wear underneath but I don't want to take anything off to put more layers on as I would lose heat. Waterproof is not essential but if it could go over a damp waterproof jacket that would be a bonus.

I don't think there is anything that would keep me warm for my usual long break in a tearoom so I will try two shorter breaks but still need to stay warm. Any suggestions please. I have done a forum search but I can't find anything as probably all you fit walkers have no need for a warm over layer for lots of rest stops. Thanks

These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

Apache

• Account Closed
Re: Warm lightweight overjacket/layer
« Reply #1 on: 12:40:11, 16/10/20 »
I have the earlier version of the Craghoppers Compresslite highly recommended.

https://www.craghoppers.com/compresslite-iv-jacket-black/

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 12:48:17, 16/10/20 »
The Paramo Torres range of gilets and jackets whilst not cheap will meet your needs and are specifically designed for the scenario you describe.

There's usually a few floating around on eBay at reduces prices.

lostme1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 14:04:44, 16/10/20 »
I have a paramo cascade jacket which is what I want to over layer. I was hoping for something warmer and lighter.

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 14:15:43, 16/10/20 »
The Paramo Torres Jackets are designed to overlay all Paramo waterproof jackets including the Paramo Cascada.

Some reduced price offerings available towards the bottom of this link but it's always worth checking out what's available on eBay.

https://www.paramo-clothing.com/en-gb/explore-range/?attributes=31C426F1-7012-4B94-B547-8823F7866FE8,3C55CF81-7257-419A-B9DA-000032E7923D

I would suggest a visit to your local outlet with stock to try them on over your Cascada.

Davidedgarjones

« Reply #5 on: 19:25:23, 16/10/20 »
Another vote for the Paramo gilet; wore mine just for lunch stop today; easy to put on and off; will still work if it rains. Mine weighs just 360 gms including its stuff sac
Dave

emdaw

« Reply #6 on: 21:28:48, 16/10/20 »
Rohan do some good lightweight items and they currently have a autumn sale. Might be worth a try  O0

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 21:58:28, 16/10/20 »
I use the paramo gilet for just that purpose. It's light, warm, works when wet and just goes over your jacket really quickly and easily and packs up small. I get Reynauds, and find I get chilled very easily on rest stops, and the gilet makes all the difference.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 09:54:05, 17/10/20 »
My warm lightweight overjacket is a 'cheap' Alpkit synthetic one. It is also very good as an underjacket as well and when I wear my very lightweight wind jacket on top its warmth value is even better.

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 16:39:55, 19/10/20 »
I also have a Paramo gilet which seems OK - very unflattering fit mind, so I'm banned from wearing it other than hillwalking.

TBH I'm not 100% convinced it really has any unique technology in it. I also have a budget Decathlon synthetic jacket which I washed in Nikwax TX Wash-in and that appears to perform as well as the Paramo but cost more like 15 quid a few years back. It's resistant to light rain and wicks water away etc. The paramo does pack smaller though.

shortwalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 17:08:12, 19/10/20 »
I have just got one of these from Aldi.  https://www.aldi.co.uk/men%27s-green-reversible-jacket/p/801536414040501

Haven't been out in the rain in it as yet, but it was comfortable and warm when I went out in it this afternoon.
Let your soul and spirit fly Into the mystic.

Van Morrison

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 12:54:48, 20/10/20 »
I use one of these.

https://www.fruugo.co.uk/crosshatch-menus-gilet-bodywarmer-sleeveless-jacket-quilted-detachable-hood-zip-pockets/p-24611058-53371333?language=en&ac=croud&gclid=CjwKCAjwlbr8BRA0EiwAnt4MTgY47N522Y6JskeROPy9SYoG6jEkB9CKwOiaRNaJDU1nq2BmffxcyhoCBHMQAvD_BwE

It's been all the way to the highest point of North Island NZ.

I carry it in my sack climbing and walking then put it on at stops, works really well for me.

shortwalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 19:26:34, 26/10/20 »
I have just got one of these from Aldi.  https://www.aldi.co.uk/men%27s-green-reversible-jacket/p/801536414040501

Haven't been out in the rain in it as yet, but it was comfortable and warm when I went out in it this afternoon.

Well I have been out in the wind and rain today and the jacket held up well.
Let your soul and spirit fly Into the mystic.

Van Morrison

lostme1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 21:05:00, 26/10/20 »
A question for users of the paramo gilet, do you use it over a paramo jacket or a gortex jacket?

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 07:14:19, 27/10/20 »
I usually use it over a Paramo jacket, but have also worn it over a light gortex one on unexpectedly cold summer days. It is also handy to put over a fleece in the evening. On a really bad day I have worn it in the house to put off turning the central heating on!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy