Author Topic: How do you combat boredom?  (Read 8527 times)

Doddy

Re: How do you combat boredom?
« Reply #15 on: 10:48:31, 07/10/18 »

Don't listen to the Inner Chimp. Focus on the things around you, wildlife, plants, hills. Works for skiing as well so you don`t focus on the technical aspects of turns, body position, etc. In the words of the Sponsor; Just do It.

dav

« Reply #16 on: 11:19:52, 07/10/18 »
Just as an aside to this. I can never understand walkers who wear ear pieces listening to whatever. Surely that distracts from the walk and surroundings etc. I get the impression that they will remember whatever they are listening to but not where they have been.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 11:45:59, 07/10/18 »
Just as an aside to this. I can never understand walkers who wear ear pieces listening to whatever. Surely that distracts from the walk and surroundings etc. I get the impression that they will remember whatever they are listening to but not where they have been.
When I walk solo I often listen to Radio 4 through earpieces. Exercise for mind and body. I have no trouble at all remembering where I have been or what I have seen.  On the other hand, I have noticed that groups of walkers are so intent on conversation and letting one person lead that I suspect they may not know where they have been.
Solvitur Ambulando

Magic girl

« Reply #18 on: 16:55:47, 07/10/18 »
I'm glad its not just me who chats to sheep,cows and other animals i come across 😂😂i never get bored while walking as there is always something to see.I also run and never understand people wearing headphones i think it's dangerous for a start as there are no footpaths where we are and people drive down the country lanes like lunatics.I love the changes in seasons and like to see what birds are about and often see deer,rabbits,hares and other animals and if i happen upon a nice view i like to just stop take a deep breath and just feel happy to be alive x

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 17:22:29, 07/10/18 »
After reading through all the previous replies, am I alone in having interesting conversations with an invisible friend in my head?

(Confessing this to the wife, she says a conversation with a sheep would be more interesting.....)

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 23:27:05, 07/10/18 »
A friend who's training for the London Marathon asked this question of me. We've all been there, on a long tarmac section, on a Forestry Commission track with no views, where you're just plodding along to eat up the miles. How do you occupy your mind?
Hitting the wall in the marathon or having nasty blisters on a long walk will soon make you realise its not so bad being bored and pain free. ;)

AFANASIEW

« Reply #21 on: 09:13:57, 08/10/18 »
Dav, music can enhance the experience and make the occasion much more memorable. Stand-out moments for me on the Pennine Way were hearing, on random shuffle, Pearl Jam's 'Black' as I ascended Black Hill and 'playing' my walking stick as air guitar to Led Zep's 'Hots on for Nowhere' on the climb up to Standedge in the sunshine. Having said that, I only plug in occasionally - two days out of 18 on my recent trek from Land's End to Lyme Regis, for example. Yes you do sacrifice the full immersion in the natural world, but don't you find, occasionally, that you can have more than a sufficiency of the wind whistling in your ears?
It's simple - one foot in front of the other.

37 427

« Reply #22 on: 11:30:55, 08/10/18 »
Take up Birdwatching record what you see and put the data into birdtrack on the B. T. O website, or even an interest in the trees and plants, for me personally listening to music whilst out in the countryside is unnatural to me. Surely nature provides the acoustics one needs.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 15:09:09, 08/10/18 »
In the course of a days walk, if I listen to my radio or mp3 records, it might be for a maximum hour, or a bit more? If I listen, I have to admit my preference is R4, music does little for me these days.

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 15:17:28, 08/10/18 »
It’s impossible for me to get bored, try walking with a young border collie, it’s all entertainment. But even before we had the dog I have never been bored walking, too much to see and hear in the surroundings, for me listening to music or the radio is for when I’m chilling out at home, each to their own but why anyone would want to do it while walking is beyond me I’m afraid  :-\
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

RogerA

« Reply #25 on: 15:55:07, 08/10/18 »
I dont use music or podcasts - that to me would seem against the spirit of the walk - personal point of view not suggesting anyone else should agree.
I havent ever found myself getting bored, but its a great question, I dont get bored because I enjoy what I'm doing is probably my best answer. I do spend a lot of time thinking about other things that are going on in my life, a lot of time enjoying the scenary or looking for photo opportunities. I also (@gunw) have been known to talk to sheep.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 16:01:03, 08/10/18 »
But even before we had the dog I have never been bored walking ...

Ah but you have SWMBO, jelly is never boring ...  ;D
Where there's a will ...

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 16:16:10, 08/10/18 »
Ah but you have SWMBO, jelly is never boring ...  ;D
Ha ha ain’t that the truth Jon  ;D
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

Davidedgarjones

« Reply #28 on: 10:03:19, 09/10/18 »
If you have a map with you, treat it as navigation training, matching the map to the various landscape features that you encounter so that you always know where you are - often quite difficult  - at least for me.
Dave

dank86

« Reply #29 on: 21:11:21, 15/10/18 »
Im another singer lol there's normally a song floating round my head anyway lol

If it's a day hike I don't mind popping the headphones in, on multiday hikes I won't listen to as much if any music etc

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy