Author Topic: Beware, Berghaus valueless guarantees!  (Read 4220 times)

DaveG

Beware, Berghaus valueless guarantees!
« on: 18:36:19, 11/10/18 »
If you are thinking of buying Berghaus products please don't be fooled by the guarantee that promises the following:

"We love all Berghaus gear, from when we develop it to when it’s out on the hill. In fact, we love it so much that we guarantee every product for its lifetime. This guarantee is the length of time any piece of kit can reasonably be expected to keep delivering the same great performance as when it was new. If you come across a genuine fault or defect in your product’s lifetime, we’ll repair or replace it for free."

Having purchased a pair of Hillwalker II GTX boots, I was disappointed that one started to leak after only a year of walking at most once a week. This is probably as a consequence of the sole starting to detach from the rest of the boot.. In line with their policy I returned them to Go outdoors who returned them to Berghaus who eventually returned them with a note saying that they would not repair or replace them as the fault was due to wear and tear.

I gather from this that Berghaus consider 1 year as a satisfactory lifespan for their equipment.
Make up your own minds, if you agree with that, then nobody will stop you spending your money on Berghaus equipment.
Happy walking everyone.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Beware, Berghaus valueless guarantees!
« Reply #1 on: 19:00:33, 11/10/18 »
A pity that you have had your boots for more than a year or Go would have been able to help.  Their guarantee policy is:
https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/returns

We are sorry to hear that you have a problem with your purchase. If the product you bought from us has a fault, please bring it back for our staff to have a look at. We will require a proof of purchase.
For items that are faulty within 30 days of purchase we will offer a full refund, repair or exchange.
Within 12 months of purchase, we will either seek to replace the product or repair it free of charge. Please speak to a member of our team and we will come up with a solution that is right for you.
At GO Outdoors we provide our customers with a range of technical products. This is why, in certain circumstances, we may need to send your faulty product for a more detailed inspection. To make it simple, please ensure that the product is dry and free of dirt.

I had boots that had done several hundred miles but proved to be faulty after 11 months.  I took them back and got a new and different pair.
Solvitur Ambulando

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:41:32, 11/10/18 »
Double post.
« Last Edit: 21:24:06, 11/10/18 by NeilC »

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:45:10, 11/10/18 »

I believe that Go are still responsible under law and have no right to pass you onto Berghaus. Guarantees are offered in addition to statutory rights not as a replacement for them

Obviously that takes into account things like wear and tear so if they are all worn down then that might be another story. But if you know you're right the you can take it further.

But how much hassle you're willing to go through is another matter.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 20:58:24, 11/10/18 »
Bit grumpy for an intro post, but a fair shout.  I know a DaveG who walks.  Your not from Cornwall by strange coincidence.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 21:29:52, 11/10/18 »
I believe that Go are still responsible under law and have no right to pass you onto Berghaus. Guarantees are offered in addition to statutory rights not as a replacement for them

Obviously that takes into account things like wear and tear so if they are all worn down then that might be another story. But if you know you're right the you can take it further.

But how much hassle you're willing to go through is another matter.

Go says: "Within 12 months of purchase, we will either seek to replace the product or repair it free of charge". After that they have no responsibility other than good will.  OP does not say if the boots were over 12 months old or not ("around a year")  However, I do agree that the soles should stay on a boot until they wear out which should not happen within a year even with daily use.
In my case the boots had a 5p sized hole in the sole.  Go sent the boots back to the manufacturer (Mammut) who agreed they were faulty - full refund.  Had they not have done that, I would have asked for a repair.
One moral of this tale always keep the receipt!
Solvitur Ambulando

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 23:13:27, 11/10/18 »
I've never had any Berghaus item, including boots, fail prematurely.  If anything their stuff is a pain as it just lasts so I am adverse to replacing it!

The OP doesn't say what sort of walking they do, other than once a week, or the exact length they'd had the boot.  If they really feel it's a manufacturing defect (and if so I reckon Berghaus would have held their hands up) then they could always get them checked by someone else.  Perhaps even post photos here.
Where there's a will ...

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 23:59:03, 11/10/18 »

Go says: "Within 12 months of purchase, we will either seek to replace the product or repair it free of charge". After that they have no responsibility other than good will.  OP does not say if the boots were over 12 months old or not ("around a year")  However, I do agree that the soles should stay on a boot until they wear out which should not happen within a year even with daily use.
In my case the boots had a 5p sized hole in the sole.  Go sent the boots back to the manufacturer (Mammut) who agreed they were faulty - full refund.  Had they not have done that, I would have asked for a repair.
One moral of this tale always keep the receipt!

They have to obey the law which says goods must last a reasonable amount of time and be fit for purpose etc. Their guarantee wording doesn't trump that.

I've been on th other side of it as a retailer and IIRC people can return goods for something like ,6 years! Shops give you the idea their guarantee is the last word but it's not. But after 6 months the onus is on the buyer to demonstrate the goods are unfit or faulty.

Of course the reality is that this is all very well if they just refuse to oblige. Then you may have to go the small claims court. But taking in the relevant law on paper and showing them can work. The new law is the Consumer Rights Act.

But I would guess this case would be a tricky one.

tenmilesplus

« Reply #8 on: 00:36:35, 12/10/18 »
I have had the same issue with a Pair of Mammut Advance GTX, they leaked and stitching failed within the ( Mammut ) 2 year warranty and were repaired but only the stitching, the stitching failed again 10 months later in a different area of the boot, the quality of the repair is very poor. Go still have them, I returned them knowing they were out of warranty because the Mammut website says to return a product even if it out of warranty for them to inspect as part of their development.. I gave them to GO on 4th Sept so No News might mean good news, I'm thinking that if Mammut were not interested they would have returned them with a Thanks but No Thanks note.. ( assuming Mammut actually received them ).. I live in hope and will find out when Go call me because I have chased them twice but they don't respond...
Gone for a walk, back in a bit..

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 18:07:00, 12/10/18 »
I've never tried to take Berghaus boots back, I've never had a problem within the first year, only after the first year, but I have taken Solomon and Keene boots back. No trouble at all, instant replacements.

Rather be walking

““The hardest part was coming to terms with the constant dispiriting discovery that there is always more hill.”
― Bill Bryson, A Walk in the Woods

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy