Author Topic: [TR] - Beddgelert: Afon Glaslyn and Cwn Bychan Circuit  (Read 4152 times)

joester

• Veteran Member
Clan Joester had a very pleasant Sunday in the sunshine going around one my favorite Snowdonian lower-level walks.

The walk begins and ends in Beddgelert, you head out of town in a north-easterly direction up the valley by the side of the Afon Glaslyn (go past the craft shops and over the iron footbridge).
A very well-laid Rhododendron-lined path leads you towards the Sygun Copper Mine, we went at the pace of little Bea, which is decidedly leisurely:

After going through the grounds of Sygun and finding the riverside again, it isn't long before you round a corner to pop-out at the shores of the beautiful Llyn Dinas:

A steep path takes you south away from the lake, and views open up as you climb up to Bwlch y Sygyn:

In fact, the path was far too steep for one member of the clan (or so she claimed), she threw herself to the ground in an ineffectual fit of pique (you see, they're sometimes not such impressive walkers when there's no-one else around!):

We had a spot of lunch amongst the purple heather at Bwlch Y Sygyn, enjoying fanastic views of Cnict, Y Lliwedd and also of the shapely spike of Moel Siabod in this shot:

A small amount of extra climbing, and we crested into Cwm Bychan, in the Cwm the main point-of-interest is the remains of a cable-way once used to move mined copper ore down the hill:

At the foot of Cwm Bychan we met the Afon Glaslyn again (it arcs right around by Beddgelert).
An ingeniously-laid path takes you up next to the torrent.  It was now a decidedly hot afternoon, there was even three young ladies in bikinis swimming in the rapids (you might even have said 'frolicking').
I nearly fell off the path.

Anyway, I put my eyes back in and we headed on up the river on the various walkways:

It was glorious, Wales at its best in the summer sun:

In fact, Abs felt the need to cool off herself ! :

We plodded back into Beddgelert, which was now absolutely swarming with folk.  I don't like crowds, so we didn't linger, but what a great family day on the hill.   Thanks for looking.

solvitur ambulando

mad max

• Veteran Member
Re: [TR] - Beddgelert: Afon Glaslyn and Cwn Bychan Circuit
« Reply #1 on: 13:50:59, 23/08/10 »

In fact, the path was far too steep for one member of the clan (or so she claimed), she threw herself to the ground in an ineffectual fit of pique

Your not talking about Abs are you Joe.

Great photos of a great walk and ace weather.Bit disappointed there are no photos of the bikini clad girls frolicking.
Freeman of Tryfan.
Welsh Nuttalls completer.
I am a troll,beware.

joester

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 13:54:12, 23/08/10 »
Bit disappointed there are no photos of the bikini clad girls frolicking.

Abs had my camera, probably a good job.
solvitur ambulando

Exit5man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 15:58:08, 23/08/10 »

Abs had my camera, probably a good job.

Last time i walked that path the Afon Glaslyn had my camera.Try telling the kids it's not cool jumping from stone to stone with a camera in your pocket .Splash in it goes .Totally canned ( except for the SD card ).
Lovely photo's Joe of a great route .
Abs your very brave jumping in that .It must have been freezing in there .
Everyday when i wake up i thank the Lord im Welsh .

Never walk under a black cat :-)

Tryfan75

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 19:25:41, 23/08/10 »
Very very nice Joe.  Great family walk.

Thanks for sharing.

Matt O0

Glyders

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 19:43:50, 23/08/10 »
That looks a wonderful walk O0

I'd love to know the route, it'd be a great one for my lot to do.

The pic with Abs and the girls amongst the heather is lovely too O0

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:48:17, 23/08/10 »
The pic with Abs and the girls amongst the heather is lovely too O0

Yes, I thought so too!  Yet another special moment captured, there to look back on in years to come. :)

***Happiness is only a smile away***

joester

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 20:00:52, 23/08/10 »
Thanks to both of you.

I'd love to know the route, it'd be a great one for my lot to do.

It's easy to find your way around this one, and I've tried to write the report in such a way as to make it easy for people to follow the route.
If you get your Snowdonia map out, you should find it easy to figure out the route as you read through it.

solvitur ambulando

Glyders

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 21:48:31, 23/08/10 »
Thanks to both of you.

It's easy to find your way around this one, and I've tried to write the report in such a way as to make it easy for people to follow the route.
If you get your Snowdonia map out, you should find it easy to figure out the route as you read through it.

Thanks Joe, I'll have a look on "Where's the Path".  My map got ruined at the last Snowdonia meet - think I need to get myself a new waterproof one for there :-\

angry climber

• Account Closed
« Reply #9 on: 23:57:44, 23/08/10 »
As always Joe I really enjoyed that  O0
Never judge someone by the opinion of others find out for yourself.

garyr

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 10:15:24, 24/08/10 »
Great photo's and report Joester ... thats one of our favourite walk, we often stay in a cottage in Nantmor village, which is a couple of hundred yards from the walk, we usually do your route in reverse though!
Gary

joester

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 10:57:00, 24/08/10 »
Thanks guys.

Thanks Joe, I'll have a look on "Where's the Path".  My map got ruined at the last Snowdonia meet - think I need to get myself a new waterproof one for there :-\

Yes, I had to buy an Explorer 'Active' map for Snowdonia (the waterproof one) because of the weather there!

As Peakbagger has pointed out, if you register with walkhighlands.co.uk you can use their mapping/routeplanning facility (similar to 'Where's the Path') and zoom in to 1:25,000 scale (it isn't limited to Scotland, just scroll down the map) - this is much better for seeing the detail of where paths go than the 1:50,000 that Where's the Path and BikeHike are limited to.
solvitur ambulando

Willowisp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 10:58:03, 24/08/10 »
Wandered along the that very raging torrent myself a few weeks back and as fantastic as it was i saw no bikinis at all, although the metal Gelert in the ruined hut gave me a bit of a fright when i saw him peeking round the wall.

Lovely report though mate
Willowisp - Beasty known for leading folks astray
Aka
Dan from Surrey don't you know. what what...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46705169@N06/

joester

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 11:12:28, 24/08/10 »
I didn't see a metal Gelert, is it in the hut near the railway bridge at the edge of the meadow?
I saw an 'interpretive board' in there but we didn't go in.

Middle daughter would have liked to have seen a metal Gelert, she was quite taken with the story.  She wanted me to buy her a small figurine of an Wolfhound that they had for sale in the tacky shop (I didn't, I don't 'do' gift shops, I'll leave that to her grandad this week).
solvitur ambulando

Glyders

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 11:33:38, 24/08/10 »
Thanks guys.

Yes, I had to buy an Explorer 'Active' map for Snowdonia (the waterproof one) because of the weather there!

As Peakbagger has pointed out, if you register with walkhighlands.co.uk you can use their mapping/routeplanning facility (similar to 'Where's the Path') and zoom in to 1:25,000 scale (it isn't limited to Scotland, just scroll down the map) - this is much better for seeing the detail of where paths go than the 1:50,000 that Where's the Path and BikeHike are limited to.

Thanks Joe, I'll have a look O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy