Author Topic: TR: A lunchtime adventure!  (Read 2509 times)

Mel

• Veteran Member
TR: A lunchtime adventure!
« on: 23:34:09, 22/12/16 »
(Written somewhat tongue-in-cheek but I'm sure we all do walks like this and simply don't bother to "admit" to them).

I finally managed to get out for a walk in some daylight today.  The forecast was good and I had time in the bank at work so I took an extended lunch for a walk in the cold and blustery sunshine.  My destination?  The dizzy heights of Hessle Foreshore (where!?)  Just a couple of miles down the road from where I work… and I drove there  :-X  

I got parked up near sign for the start of the Yorkshire Wolds Way.  Changed into my …. trainers.  Packed my cigs and phone into my … jacket pocket … and off I set.  What? I hear you cry.  No rucksack? No food or drink? No waterproofs or emergency shelter?   

Nope.  Not even a map.  

I headed off into the unknown listening to the, ahem, peace and tranquillity of the traffic roaring over the Humber Bridge a short hop, skip and a squelch away, but enjoyed feeling the biting cold wind whipping my neatly organised hair out of it’s clip and lashing my cheeks.  I enjoyed having to squint into the low, bright sunlight rather than having to squint because I really should wear my glasses for reading.  I enjoyed inhaling cold, crisp air into my lungs which made me cough… which made my eyes stream and my nose run.  This walking malarkey is good for you… honestly  :D  

I reached my halfway point, the slipway for the Humber Lifeboat … an un-steep, stone and concrete descent down onto the shingle and relished in the satisfying crunch of pebbles beneath my feet and the schloppp of the waves as they gave the shore a damned good thrashing.  

As I approached the Humber Bridge I was saddened to see the number of bunches of flowers and wreaths fastened to various railings and benches.  Unfortunately, this bridge is popular for committing suicide from  :(  

It was just after high tide by the looks of things and I hoped I’d be able to remain on the “beach” for the remainder of my walk.   

My luck was in as I rounded the “leg” of the Humber Bridge and saw a strip of slimey (or should that be shiney) white pebbles.  This meant I could take my best pic of the day… a view of almost the full length of the bridge from the underneath :  

No automatic alt text available.  

I’ve been itching to get a pic from this viewpoint for a while and I’m really pleased I finally managed to  O0  

As I reached the concrete shore defences I sat and had a “summit cig”, which, after spending 5 minutes trying to light the blasted thing, the wind smoked most of it.  

A little further along I spent far too long musing and pondering on how a 15ft piece of driftwood managed to get trapped in the railings and spent even longer wondering if I could drag it back to my car… and then… would it FIT in my car  ;D  

No automatic alt text available.  

The wind at my back and the sun to my side, I enjoyed the views towards my home some 10 miles away and also the views across the river of the south bank.  

Almost too soon, I was back at my car, where I tucked into a cheese and sandwich spread sarnie (and almost my fingers as they were numb with cold (nope, I didn’t take gloves either  ::)  ) and a cup of coffee and checked out my walk “stats”…..  

…… are you ready?.....  

Total mileage = 0.8 miles
Max height = 4ft
Min height = -2ft (yes that’s minus 2ft)  

I got back to work exhausted and ready for a sit down after my mega-adventure on the shores of the Humber Estuary

Thanks for reading  :)  

Jac

• Veteran Member
Re: TR: A lunchtime adventure!
« Reply #1 on: 09:56:12, 23/12/16 »
Proof that the best things can come in small packages. Mountains and many miles are not essential to a good walk.
Great TR beautifully written and love the pic of the bridge.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 10:49:29, 23/12/16 »
Sounds lovely, it's just great to get away and be outside for a bit.

I don't think that the drift wood would fit in the Melmobile even if you could have dragged it back there.

If this the return of your walking mojo?

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 11:40:14, 23/12/16 »
Crikey, it's years since I walked the Humber bridge! O0
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 12:31:19, 23/12/16 »
Really enjoyed the TR, Mel - and that picture of the bridge is a cracking shot!  O0

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 13:38:34, 23/12/16 »
Enjoyed that Mel. Like Pleb it's been "many years"  ::)  since I walked over the bridge. A business meeting in Hull wrapped up earlier than anticipated so I had lunch in the old ferry boat at Hessle and then walked the bridge in suit collar and tie.

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 14:00:11, 23/12/16 »
Great shot of the bridge Mel    :)   
Enjoyed the TR, and to my mind a short walk you enjoy is better than a long one that turns into a trudge   O0

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 19:26:55, 23/12/16 »
Nice TR but I think too much scrambling for me  O0
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

PeakRambler

« Reply #8 on: 10:30:28, 24/12/16 »
Nice photos and TR.

Sometimes a short walk can be more rewarding than a full walk.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 14:04:22, 24/12/16 »
Thanks everyone for the comments  :)   I think it was the weather that "made" the walk for me... doubt I'd have enjoyed it as much (at all, or even done it) if the weather was raining and kak.

As an aside, I was out first thing this morning (still in getting up for work mode  ;D  ) and managed a ever so slightly longer 3 mile walk which got me away from traffic and even had about 30ft of ascent  :o

... oh, and no, the driftwood didn't make it to my car  ;D

uncled8249

« Reply #10 on: 21:53:17, 17/01/17 »
Wow, loved this story,  many years ago before I was into walking I was up there from Norfolk on just a day trip hadn`t got a clue where I was going.  Parked at the bridge and got the bike out and rode over to Hull and back, didn`t know anything about Hull so didn`t stay long lol.  Great day and got pix of the bridge of course.  Love your pics from your short adventure too.  Ed
I'm Norfolk 'n good!    OTBC
more pics at www.flickr.com/uncled8249/albums

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 22:02:17, 18/01/17 »
Cheers uncled  :)   Hull has that effect on lots of people!  It's a fair ole trek across the bridge but some nice walking at either end.

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 18:45:16, 19/01/17 »
2 powerful images...........what more from a good stretch of the legs. ;)
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy