Author Topic: Julia Bradbury's Wainwright walks  (Read 9863 times)

genji

• Account Closed
Re: Julia Bradbury's Wainwright walks
« Reply #15 on: 18:19:23, 16/07/09 »
Fred thingy from the weather map did some. We watched a couple on some satellite channel once. Eagle Crag was one of them. They weren't utterly atrocious but they illustrated the point of the TV Licence Fee.
"pain is your bodies way of telling you that it is hurting"

Muz

« Reply #16 on: 18:25:23, 16/07/09 »
Muriel Gray's munro show was actually quite a good programme - and she went up some challenging hills and was clearly bricking herself at some points - and in poor weather too - and even Skye in winter as I recall (although she obviously had a guide with her). Not sure if you got it down there on English BBC1 though. But it was a proper mountain walking programme.
Love many, trust few, and always paddle your own canoe

genji

• Account Closed
« Reply #17 on: 18:30:09, 16/07/09 »
Muriel Gray's munro show was actually quite a good programme - and she went up some challenging hills and was clearly bricking herself at some points - and in poor weather too - and even Skye in winter as I recall (although she obviously had a guide with her). Not sure if you got it down there on English BBC1 though. But it was a proper mountain walking programme.
I'm trying to think who Muriel Gray is... was she that slip of a slip on The Tube?

Muz

« Reply #18 on: 18:34:56, 16/07/09 »
That's her - sort of punky at the time. Dyed blonde hair and a weegie accent.

genji

• Account Closed
« Reply #19 on: 18:39:07, 16/07/09 »
How depressing. She's about the size of my thumbnail and she can walk Scottish mountains? I walked around Jura about twenty years ago. My legs still hurt.

Addacomb

• Account Closed
« Reply #20 on: 18:42:30, 16/07/09 »
Never in a month of Sundays! We miss a fair few programmes on the outdoors that only get shown up North and in Scotland.

That Fred Talbot one was a case in point. I'd never heard of it until seeing the DVD for sale. I actually quite liked it! His enthusiasm also seemed genuine, if a little exagerated.

Muz

vertigo girl

« Reply #22 on: 19:03:24, 16/07/09 »

Yes I remember this programme. There was a book published - Munro Bagging Without a Beard.

Addacomb

• Account Closed
« Reply #23 on: 19:08:42, 16/07/09 »
Yes I remember this programme. There was a book published - Munro Bagging Without a Beard.
There's a VHS called "The Munro Show! - so I suppose there's a chance it'll be on DVD at some point.

Fran

« Reply #24 on: 19:14:37, 16/07/09 »
i didnt realise so many people felt so strongly about julia bradbury, and in a bad way!

im sure ive offended many fellow walkers before, such as wearing innapropriate walking gear etc on the fells, but as long as im doing no harm and enjoying myself i see no problem. Shes said some silly and patronising things yes, but no-body is perfect and she was only attempting to encourage more people to walk and admire AW. It isnt intentional, and apart from those 2 slip ups (shouting at sprinkling tarn and adding to the cairn) i think shes done a fairly good job, considering she was new to the world of walking.

Little Miss Hillbilly

Fran

« Reply #25 on: 19:16:30, 16/07/09 »
and in the 2nd series of AW's walks, she doesnt add to any cairns, so she must have learnt her lesson
Little Miss Hillbilly

genji

• Account Closed
« Reply #26 on: 19:29:38, 16/07/09 »
She's great. I love her.

Fran

« Reply #27 on: 19:35:37, 16/07/09 »
thats strange, i thought you found her irritating earlier?
Little Miss Hillbilly

genji

• Account Closed
« Reply #28 on: 20:13:28, 16/07/09 »
Oh, yeah. I didn't want thread to go off-topic.

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 20:41:08, 16/07/09 »
JB has a few irritating aspects sure. These were more prominent in the Railway walks series, which I didn't watch after a while as it got a bit too much. She didn't do the full coast to coast for the C2C series either, cheeky girl  ;).

Best aspects - some excellent photography, generally sensibly done and didn't skip on the this is actually quite hard aspects. Generally a good advert for walking.

Worst aspects - Apart from whats been said before. The slightly cod interviews which seemed to get worse over all the series. AW series 2 was a bit "hey look at me" as well which grated at times.

Odd apsects - The bloke they got to read the extracts from the books sounded like a real pervert.

Overall I liked the Wainright walks series, hated the railway but forgave her again with the Coast 2 Coast series (despite not walking it all). We could have worse adverts for walking thats for sure.

Oh and peak bagger if you like Julia you'll have loved her website about a year ago - JB in a lime green bikini no less on the front page!
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy