Author Topic: Which walk would you want to do all over again?  (Read 4820 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
I know that lots of hikers have walked the same route more than once but is there one or two hikes in particular that really stands out for you?

In my case its the Pennine Way, for the physical and mental demands it made on me and the one I did earlier this year from Keswick to Edinburgh, that one was really special and for me the most unusual. I had good sunny weather for two weeks, no rain and hardly any condensation on or in my tent on any day.

My hiking year didn't really go to plan this year and I'm thinking that next year I might try to walk from Edinburgh, following the Scottish National Trail route to Kirk Yetholme and then on the Pennine Way to Edale. Or possibly just walk to Keld and then turn west into the Lakes, or go east to the end of the Coast to Coast route? Food for thought!

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
Re: Which walk would you want to do all over again?
« Reply #1 on: 18:59:35, 04/10/19 »
A walk I've done only once but would love to do again is the South West Coast Path between Porthcurno and St Ives.  I loved the fabulous views, the wild rugged cliffs, the beautiful bays and the industrial archeology of the old mines.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:06:35, 04/10/19 »
Another vote for the PW.  I did it first in 2012, and decided to do it every 5 years. In 2017 I did it S-N again but in 2022 I'm going to start in KY  O0
Where there's a will ...

One F

« Reply #3 on: 19:52:36, 04/10/19 »
A walk I've done only once but would love to do again is the South West Coast Path between Porthcurno and St Ives.  I loved the fabulous views, the wild rugged cliffs, the beautiful bays and the industrial archeology of the old mines.

I walked it t'other way setting off from Zennor and ending up at Kennack Sands -  echo your comments, it was wonderful walking and the weather was perfect.  Would certainly enjoy another stroll that way. Close run thing though, as the Pennine Way was a memorable walk and one I could fancy again.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 19:57:43, 04/10/19 »
There's a couple of climbs I'd love to do again, the Diamond couloir on Mount Kenya now sadly no more and the Arete De Peuteray integral. I doubt I'd be fit enough for the latter now.

Maybe going back to South America and walking more instead of going for the peaks all the time would be fun.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 20:28:47, 04/10/19 »
This one.  https://randopyrenees.blogspot.com/2017/07/pic-de-sauvegarde-2738m-en-boucle.html
One of the few walks I have done more than once and would happily do again.  IMHO a classic.
Solvitur Ambulando

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 21:06:58, 04/10/19 »
Another vote for the Pennine Way, a walk that I wanted to do from my days in the scouts but it took until my retirement to suggest that I disappear for a couple of weeks (and I have already walked it again).  The South West Coast Path is another that was truly magic, reliving my childhood days of ice cream and sandcastles, I think that at age 72 it may take me a bit longer now!  If I can be allowed to add a third and one that was totally different from any other LDPs that I have walked is the one this year - the Camino Frances, not a difficult walk but for both enjoyment and the comradeship of all the different nationalities that I met along "The way".

Zizag

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 21:38:30, 04/10/19 »
The Anglesey Coastal path is my favourite .
Beautiful Magical Mysterious Isle .

I did It a as a Charity walk .
And
It was a privilege and an Adventure of a Lifetime
Will go back and walk It clockwise next time.

The Sandstone Trail In Cheshire is an other favourite underrated but so much variety to see.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 23:22:14, 04/10/19 »
That's an excellent question, but I was stuck for ideas at first. I couldn't think of anything better than repeating some hill/mountain walks that promised amazing views, but all we actually saw were clouds and rain and the ground beneath our feet.

Then I remembered our almost successful walk to the centre of Rarotonga ten years ago. That's something I'd love to try again, but probably won't get the chance.

My wife and I had no idea what we were going to do that day. We wandered inland for about a quarter of a mile and came across this sign...

...and we said: "Let's go to the top of the island!". We were completely unprepared, wearing sandals and carrying just one bottle of water. It was incredibly hot and humid, and my wife wasn't feeling well either. And, being unbelievably stupid, we didn't tell anyone where we were going (and of course we didn't have mobile phones).  :-[

The path was fairly easy to follow but tree roots made the going quite tough at times. We filled our bottle from the many streams we passed. We were almost at the top when my wife said she couldn't go any further. I carried on a bit further hoping to get above the trees, but turned back before we lost contact with each other and headed back the way we came.

The walk took nearly five hours and we didn't see anyone else all day. We were elated by what we'd done, but disappointed we hadn't succeeded. So that walk is definitely one we'd love to do again - but we'd be properly prepared next time and get to the top!
« Last Edit: 23:28:19, 04/10/19 by WhitstableDave »
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

Steveandsam

« Reply #9 on: 09:16:06, 05/10/19 »
Gunwharfman, is the details of Keswick to Edinburgh on board anywhere, can't seem to see it. Thx

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 09:31:19, 05/10/19 »
If it's walks that you want to do again because they didn't work out right the first time then mine would be the Tongariro Alpine Crossing in NZ.  Flew all the way across the world just to walk and climb in horizontal driving drizzle and didn't see much of the volcano at all, just smelt it.
Solvitur Ambulando

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 10:19:50, 05/10/19 »
The details of my walk to Edinburgh -

I actually started this hike at Keswick and followed the Cumbria Way to Carlisle, then hiked east along Hadrians Wall to where the Pennine Way crosses over (just before Housesteads) and then hiked north to Kirk Yetholm. Once there I followed the Scottish National Trail (St Cuthberts Way forms part of the route) to Melrose, onto Peebles, onto West Dean and then down into Edinburgh. The Scottish National Trail web page has very clear OS maps, descriptions, and mileage about the trail route in Scotland.

Or of course, the other option would be to start in Edinburgh and walk south. At the time my son lived in Edinburgh (he has now moved South) so it made sense for me to walk to him and then catch the train home to Portsmouth. I could have flown to Southampton but I couldn't get a reasonable cost fare.

If I was to hike the route again I would start in Edinburgh and walk south, for me it would be like walking towards home. Hopefully, then I might get a cheapish flight up and would try to finish at the southern end of the Cumbria Way. I must admit I really liked the walk, each named hike section had its own charm, demand, and interest. The only boring bit is that section from Carlisle to Dalston but its soon over with. With me, as always, the most physically demanding bit, especially in bad weather, is from Kirk Yetholm to Byrness.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 12:34:06, 05/10/19 »
Either the Cwm Caseg route to the summit of Carnedd llewelyn, or the traverse of Bera Bach and Yr Aryg, leading to Llewelyn or Foel Grach.
I will never tire of either of these routes, but any route in the Northern Carneddau is heavenly walking country.

Unlike Snowdon and the Glyders, the Northern Carneddau are always quiet, litter free, and the perfect area to thank the Lord for our continued good health, to be able to traverse such stunning countryside.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 15:57:49, 05/10/19 »
Much to my regret, I've never been to North Wales to hike. It's easier for me to drive or train it to The Lakes. The nearest for me was Offas Dyke and later one trip to Abergavenny.

rambling minster

« Reply #14 on: 16:20:47, 05/10/19 »
Probably the SW Coast Path between St Ives to Coverack or the Pembrokeshire Coast Path. Both absolutely magical

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy