Author Topic: What kind of videos would you watch?  (Read 980 times)

dank86

What kind of videos would you watch?
« on: 01:35:11, 26/06/18 »
Hey everyone hope we are all good?

I've decided I want to start making YouTube videos in my spare time and also as motivation to get out and about doing new routes.

What I would like to know is what sort of videos would you be interested in?
Gear reviews, day routes, overnight style videos?

I've done a couple as it as and still getting the grips with editing and talking to camera, currently using my phone for it all as well.

I'd be greatly to here what you think 🙂

https://youtu.be/N_3k3ILhWkg

adalard

• Veteran Member
Re: What kind of videos would you watch?
« Reply #1 on: 08:41:15, 26/06/18 »
Morning.

Personally I watch walking related videos for two main reasons - to get an idea about somewhere I'm planning to walk (e.g. steepness, technical difficulty etc.) or just to enjoy the scenery, whether it's somewhere familiar or not.

I have good quality boots and backpack but most of my other gear is mid-range to cheap and I'm not what you'd call a gear-fiend so those sort of technical reviews would be of limited interest to me. But of course a lot of people are the complete opposite so I'm sure there's room for both types of video.

I think I saw your video on Facebook in one of the walking groups I'm in and for what it's worth I'd rather see more of the landscape you walked through - but then, I guess the walk didn't really pan out in the end so maybe it would have been different if things hadn't gone wrong. As for speaking to camera, I think you came across quite naturally and not as someone new to it.  O0

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 09:08:46, 26/06/18 »
I make videos for myself, and share them on here because people like them and find them useful, especially if they want to see a route they are planning to do,
I dont make videos to please other people, i just enjoy film making and looking back on my trips re living them so to speak,
Good luck with it and just do what you enjoy and it will reflect in your videos
ATB  8)
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

dank86

« Reply #3 on: 10:15:08, 26/06/18 »
Thanks adalard yea that was a bit of a pain but the good news is I've got a new back pack and some time off soon so I'm hoping to be able to try again 🙂

Thanks Beefy hadn't thought of it that way 🙂

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 16:17:06, 26/06/18 »
I really enjoy watching history videos, especially those with the likes of Michael Wood, Dan Snow, Neil Oliver.
The early 1970s Micheal wood series, "In search of the Dark Ages" was eventually released onto DVd some years ago, after nearly thirty years, and even today it makes remarkable watching.
Dan Snow & Neil Oliver really rock my boat, and i can watch their historical programmes until the cows come home.

Hazy81

« Reply #5 on: 15:37:47, 27/06/18 »
I'm new to this forum, and although I've walked for years with my dogs and camped two or three times a year on proper campsites, I haven't had to plan for a wild camp and so had no idea of what gear to take, so for me videos of essential gear and what to pack have been great to watch.

After these and when I go out more "hiking / camping" rather than family camping, then videos of routes and walks would be my next go to vid's

dank86

« Reply #6 on: 15:48:35, 27/06/18 »
Thanks Hazy81 :) I am planning on doing some wild camp videos soon, I may do one where I go through to process of where I work out roughly where i'll pitch, what I take and take the camera along as well. I will be doing a simpler what I take video too. At the moment though im waiting to send my camera/phone off to be fixed as it decided to die on me yesterday when I was transferring footage to the laptop  :'(  But all ideas for me to keep in mind :)

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 23:35:29, 27/06/18 »
Firstly I always appreciate the reviews people shoot testing out new kit.  Secondly, if I am heading somewhere new that involves scrambling, then I will search for a video that shows the route across any obstacles.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy