Author Topic: The Perfect Mile  (Read 4088 times)

Feriol

The Perfect Mile
« on: 18:15:48, 26/09/07 »
I'm sure wherever you have walked has been beautiful, but sometime there are particular sections of a walk that stand out, do any spring to mind? (doesn't have to be a mile?)

I ask because recently i went walking around some villages in my area (south leicestershire) i did a total of around 16 miles this particular day. there was a section between Broughton Astley and Frolesworth which was particularly nice, and i remember most from the walk.
sun dogs fire on the horizon
meteor rain stars across the night
this moment may be brief
but it can be so bright
(Rush - Chain Lightning)

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
Re: The Perfect Mile
« Reply #1 on: 18:41:34, 26/09/07 »
Nice thread idea  ;)

Once we picked a drizzly, miserable day to go for a walk.  We hiked about 12 miles from the town of Market Weighton to South Cave, following the Wolds Way.  The mile I'm thinking of, we were descending a hill, soaked to the skin and covered in mud.  We crossed a road and entered a valley on Newbald Wold.  Mist had sunk to the ground, and was clinging to the grass.  We walked through that dale as if we were the only people on Earth, and seldom have I felt such a sense of peace and calm.

Unfortunately I didn't have a camera with me that day, so I can't post a picture, but I don't honestly think I would have been surprised if a dinosaur had come out of the mist ahead of us.

A perfect moment  :)

Snowman

« Reply #2 on: 20:46:56, 27/09/07 »
When I was planning the Cambrian Way,  I couldn't work out why the route went north from Abergavenny to Capel-y-ffin and then south the next day to Crickhowell.  If you know the area you know that Crickhowell is a spit away from Abergavenny, so why does the route go off for about 30 or so miles to arrive somewhere you could have walked in an hour or so by road?

The reason is that it is the most stunning 2 day walk I've ever done in Britain.   It's probably been ruined by YHA's decision to close the Capel-y-ffin hostel (which I complained bitterly about to them), but if you want a couple of wonderful days out, try it.

You don't just get the perfect mile, you get around 30 of them.

S.   

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 11:02:57, 05/10/07 »
My perfect:

The Last One    ;D O0
Are we there yet ?   http://walkingforlife.piczo.com

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 15:39:58, 05/10/07 »
When I fell in a bog up to my waist doing the Yorkshire three peak.  I  was very in em brassed as three girls had to pull me out LOL.   I never forget it when I think back to it, it makes me laugh I mean am only tiny I weigh about six stone 4ft 11inches. and it took three off them to pull me out I nearly lost me boot in that damn bog. 
peace and tranquillity in the countryside. clean your rubbish up after you  respect it.

clean it bin it

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 15:47:06, 05/10/07 »
When I fell in a bog up to my waist doing the Yorkshire three peak.  I  was very in em brassed as three girls had to pull me out LOL.   I never forget it when I think back to it, it makes me laugh I mean am only tiny I weigh about six stone 4ft 11inches. and it took three off them to pull me out I nearly lost me boot in that damn bog. 

Hm, if that's your idea of "the perfect mile", I'm not sure I want to go walking with you  ::)

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 16:05:26, 05/10/07 »
I done better Mr B  I fell in a river and got soaked don't laugh.  Had vertigo on top of Snowdon summit while my partner frozen his ass off (he might need to lend some Vaseline of you) ;) hehe lol.   
peace and tranquillity in the countryside. clean your rubbish up after you  respect it.

clean it bin it

fledgling

« Reply #7 on: 14:45:52, 10/10/07 »
i am finding it hard to pick a perfect mile, each one is perfect to me and no matter how many times you walk the same route you always see something different, time of day, the way the light falls, time of year, bright days, dull days, they are all wonderful and create their own wonderful scenes,  ;) i will attach a picture or two of a recent walk in Llangollen you'll see why i cant choose

fledgling

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 20:12:26, 10/10/07 »
Very nice, pictures, Fledgling.  I like the top one the most, I like the look of the hill with the spirraling path (or is that a road  ???)

Welcome to the boards by the way  ;)

fledgling

« Reply #9 on: 21:26:51, 10/10/07 »
thank you, the picture you like is castle dinas bran, the second picture is ofcourse the famous Llangollen viaduct, the path you see is a rather steep climb up to the old ruins of the castle, but once at the top the views are quite breathtaking, sadly on that day in particular we didnt have any really clear vision and it wasnt worth taking any photos, but then thats my excuse for going back again in fairer weather,

fledgling

darksky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 20:21:30, 11/10/07 »
Does anyone know how long STRIDING EDGE IS?
'''get out there and experience as much as you can its beautiful and have yourself alotta fun doing it'''

Deerplay

« Reply #11 on: 22:43:10, 11/10/07 »
I don't know, probably less than a mile, but you can have a mile that includes Striding Edge and that's a good one. Another good one like that is Sharp Edge on Blencathra and of course Jacks Rake on Pavey Ark. Of course you then get into climbing/mountaineering, so what about the Cosmiques Ridge (Alps) Hornli Ridge up the Matterhorn or even stuff like Grooved Arrete on Tryfan? 
Will this wind be so mighty as to lay low the mountains of the Earth?

darksky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 22:46:52, 11/10/07 »
 O0 cheers.., but i'd love to know how long striding edge is..,i bet its not far off a mile though?
'''get out there and experience as much as you can its beautiful and have yourself alotta fun doing it'''

Deerplay

« Reply #13 on: 23:02:53, 11/10/07 »
Somebody needs to GPS it from start to finish. Or you could do it the old fashioned way with a map and romer, or just string using the scale. If I think on I'll measure it off the map tomorrow and let you know.
Will this wind be so mighty as to lay low the mountains of the Earth?

darksky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 23:22:12, 11/10/07 »
 O0 cheers DEERPLAY..,

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy