Author Topic: Forum login not secure  (Read 4359 times)

RogerA

Re: Forum login not secure
« Reply #15 on: 16:01:55, 16/07/18 »
use a different password for every site / forum / system you use, then if 'they' find your password to the walking forum they can post as you on the walking forum but not gain access to e.g. your bank account / email account that they might do if youy used the same password for all

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 16:07:33, 16/07/18 »
And if you want to avoid the insecure warning use a different browser, oops no!  You get a warning in Safari as well. And Edge.

« Last Edit: 16:10:38, 16/07/18 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 16:09:27, 16/07/18 »
Sorry, not exactly sure what you are writing about? If I guessing right, I think the easy answer is to use Last Pass (or a similar password manager), each site I use has its own unique randomly generated passwords. Last Pass is also useful because it has its own app and all information is passed back and forth between PC and phone without cost and fuss. If you use Dashlane they will charge you a yearly fee for this service.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 16:34:31, 16/07/18 »
Sorry, not exactly sure what you are writing about? If I guessing right, I think the easy answer is to use Last Pass (or a similar password manager), each site I use has its own unique randomly generated passwords. Last Pass is also useful because it has its own app and all information is passed back and forth between PC and phone without cost and fuss. If you use Dashlane they will charge you a yearly fee for this service.
  The point is that the internet is moving to an encrypted environment and I suspect in time it will become the standard for public sites. Any information passed to an http site is insecure, this includes not only passwords but also any personal information, plus the domain used, the user's location, operating system etc. These may not matter so much on this site but they do on others.  As a result, there is pressure to tighten up on security industry-wide to the point where only secure sites will be supported.  Think of it as future proofing.
Solvitur Ambulando

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 22:49:00, 16/07/18 »
Delighted that this site uses older protocols.  It is one of few that still work on my win98 OS.  With explorer 6. O0  .Nothing posted on here that I would ever worry about.  If it were a site where money changed hands, then that would be different.  For those I have different passwords for each.and the joy of Android ;)  .

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 23:30:57, 16/07/18 »
Delighted that this site uses older protocols.  It is one of few that still work on my win98 OS.  With explorer 6. O0  .Nothing posted on here that I would ever worry about.  If it were a site where money changed hands, then that would be different.  For those I have different passwords for each.and the joy of Android ;)  .

Hopefully, Win98 and Explorer 6 are so obsolete that there is little to be gained by targeting them - fingers crossed for you.  ;)

https://gizmodo.com/186412/microsoft-ends-support-of-windows-98-today

However, this argument has no bearing on the point I was making about the possibility of http being phased out

Solvitur Ambulando

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 09:59:22, 17/07/18 »
Sorry Ninethace but I am a bit of a thicko when it comes to internet issues. Are you saying that something like Last Pass is a useful tool or is it just as bad as everything else?

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 11:53:26, 17/07/18 »
Sorry Ninethace but I am a bit of a thicko when it comes to internet issues. Are you saying that something like Last Pass is a useful tool or is it just as bad as everything else?
Password managers have nothing to do with this issue GW.  If a site is insecure, your data can be lifted irrespective of how it is entered.
Personally I use 1Password and Kaspersky Password Manager to manage my passwords.
Solvitur Ambulando

RogerA

« Reply #23 on: 11:59:29, 17/07/18 »
I think gunw uses a 3rd party system to generate different passwords for each system he uses - while this can be a good approach - every forum / site has a different password so compromise of one does not compromise others there is a flaw.

If the password management system is compromised then all your passwords to everything (including security questions? and email accounts used to verify identity and reset / comfirm new passwords) would then be potentially in someone elses hands.

I dont know how good such systems / sites are nor how secure, I've never used them - I'd hope more secure than most forums. I guess it comes down to how much do you trust your password management site. I have no view one way or the other.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy