Author Topic: Senior wannabe trekker from California seeks advice  (Read 2829 times)

walkerfromCA

Re: Senior wannabe trekker from California seeks advice
« Reply #15 on: 19:25:26, 31/07/18 »

I think that you are overcomplicating things, and a journal is a must! To be honest; just get out there and walk, and increase distances as you feel fitter; taking a break when you feel stiff.

It would be a good idea to keep a journal; a record of how many miles you are doing and how you are feeling - and where you are walking.

Yes, of course, its over complicating. I guess I  just wanted to see how long it would take to increase walking from zero to 4 miles 5x weekly, and I'm looking at probably a while. Next thing is to make a habit of putting on my walking shoes after breakfast.
I'm sorry if I seem so unsure of myself, just that I guess I have been having a hard time of it in recent years.
I appreciate everybody's advice so very much.

walkerfromCA

« Reply #16 on: 19:32:02, 31/07/18 »
What ever you are comfortable with.
I'd suggest you carry a pack with a bit of weight in it - you need to 'get a sweat-on' and burn some calories (if you don't burn more than you eat you don't lose weight), If you are not sweating you need to work harder / walk faster.

Well yes, I need to push for a sweat, and where I live on a mtn ridge there's a bit of climbing involved -- about 600 ft elevation gain in approx 1.5 miles up to the peak = 3mi walk,
or if I go down a ways, than up the second peak is about 4 miles out and back = a guestimate of 750 ft elevation gain. Sweating is presumed. :)

But there I go, bragging again, when in fact, I'm a lump of lard, not hardly walking -- I have a lot of fitness to recover and weight to lose!!!
« Last Edit: 19:35:06, 31/07/18 by walkerfromCA »

walkerfromCA

« Reply #17 on: 19:37:25, 31/07/18 »
I just wanted to say, that regardless of my past fitness, I've never ever commited to a 5x weekly regimen, ever. EVER.

So just concentrating on walking monday thru friday, rain or shine , whether 1 mile or 5, I think I can relax on all other fronts for a time. Just my worrying not to load up too much expectation, because I'm not 30 anymore.

And another reason I chose UK walker forum, you all take walking very seriously, which I very much want to rub off on me. :)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 21:54:14, 31/07/18 »
Everyone is different, as you can tell from reading everyones comments. I can only speak for myself, but I think its also knowing a bit about oneself as well. I'm 73 and I believe in the principle that the effort needs to be made! Like others hear I make SURE that I get out the house everyday, rain or shine as someone already wrote. If I start to falter my wife has instructions to kick me out of the door!

However, I don't tend to have this problem because I like to think I have one advantage, I like getting up early and look forward to each day. I also believe that on balance I'm lucky to have an optimistic personality (like my Mum, not like my Dad) and I don't suffer from mood swings and I don't indulge in negative introspection too much. I can of course and have done so, but I still know that even now I can enjoy certain life perks! Although I've had 7 hernia ops (cured for good now) and had my Prostate removed because of cancer I am, in 2018 still basically a healthy old bloke and I still make the effort, but more importantly its because I WANT to make the effort!

I walk every day, I have a number of routes and I rotate and use them all year round. I also like to run off road which when I'm home I prefer to walking, but I had an injury earlier in the year that lasted for ages which stopped my running dead! I'm now back to normal and plan to start running again in September, but after I finish my August hikes.

I do however dread what I will be like in my mind when I can't do any of this, but that's for another day.

All I can suggest is for you to fight what your mind is telling you, get out there, make the effort and I'm sure you will be the better person for it. It may take time, so give it time. Do not expect instant success, give yourself a time limit, for example 6 months. Do your stuff, get to that date and then compare and contrast as to how you felt at the beginning and how you feel 6 months later. I bet you will then feel positive about what you have actually achieved!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy