Author Topic: (Trip Report) Along the Manifold Way - mud, mud and more mud!  (Read 4259 times)

gotmeheadshaved

• Veteran Member
Decided to do a walk Sunday 1st Nov. Forecast wasn’t great but I had my new North Face Resolve Parka to try out so that gave me some incentive. I chose to do a walk through a part of the Manifold Valley I’d not done before.

I started from Wetton Mill and during my drive there I should have spotted the warning signs as a lot of the roads and lanes were flooded! Anyway, the river near the car park was almost overflowing. The walk itself took me from Wetton Mill along Hoo Brook and to Butterton. The path, well if you could call it that, was atrocious, mud, mud and more mud. Finally reached Butterton and found that the road was flooded. Luckily though there’s a footbridge so I was able to avoid it. The day was dark and dismal and nobody was around. I passed the Black Horse pub at the top of the hill and even that looked empty. Then at the top by the church I took a wrong footpath and ended up having to double-back on myself and when I did find the track the second stile the book told me about suddenly became invisible and I ended up having to find my own way through the fields. The weather just got worse and walking conditions were muddy, boggy and marshy everywhere. Darkness fell quite quickly and when I entered the woods to make my way down to the Manifold Way it was almost dark and I’d forgotten my torch. Then I tried to get something out of one of the pockets of my new rucksack and the zip broke! When I entered the tunnel leading back to Wetton it was really dark and all I could see was the full moon and all I could hear was the raging river on my left. It was quite spooky and to say I was relieved when I got back to the car would be an understatement, but at least the new Jacket proved its mettle! It kept me warm and dry and I was very impressed.

Anyway, here are a few pics

The river by the car park and café. A raging torrent!

Hoo Brook. More like Hoo River!

The flooded road at Butterton

The church at Butterton

A creepy looking tree!

Steve (gotmeheadshaved)

'Brothers, what we do in life, echoes in eternity'

joester

• Veteran Member
It sounds like one of those days, Steve! - I see what you meant now!

Let me tell you - that tunnel is damned spooky in the dead of a winter's night, with all those floodlights and alcoves (especially after a significant amount of scrumpy cider)!
solvitur ambulando

Granty

• Veteran Member
That tree looks well good!
Check out SLP Photography Derbyshire Wedding Photographer

TheGUYuk

• Veteran Member
Hi Steve how was pof meet?

Seems like you had interesting times mate.

I keep thinking we should organise a night meet with walk ( head torches etc ) Doubt there is the interest though ???     Except for Buxton pub inspection.

gotmeheadshaved

• Veteran Member
Hi Steve how was pof meet?

Seems like you had interesting times mate.

I keep thinking we should organise a night meet with walk ( head torches etc ) Doubt there is the interest though ???     Except for Buxton pub inspection.

Hi Jim mate. POF meet was good. Walked around Fernilee res and Erwood Hall ruins. Over 40 people turned up. They've asked me to organise the next one! Wondering if I should take them on my Manifold Way walk! lol  ;D

Steve
Steve (gotmeheadshaved)

radder

• Veteran Member
Are we going to get back in one piece Steve on the Roaches walk, A little worried now after reading that   ;) ;D

BTW great write up  O0

Granty

• Veteran Member
I'm up for a night walk!

TheGUYuk

• Veteran Member
Hi Jim mate. POF meet was good. Walked around Fernilee res and Erwood Hall ruins. Over 40 people turned up. They've asked me to organise the next one! Wondering if I should take them on my Manifold Way walk! lol  ;D

Steve

No take them up Win hill or Jacobs ladder   :D ;D

You need something easy acccess, mostly flat and pretty     abit like a Taiwanese bride O0

TheGUYuk

• Veteran Member

Steve

Do a write up of it Steve O0

TheGUYuk

• Veteran Member
I'm up for a night walk!

Well that is two of us Granty

Now a late night walk or a walk ending at sunrise

gotmeheadshaved

• Veteran Member
No take them up Win hill or Jacobs ladder   :D ;D

You need something easy acccess, mostly flat and pretty     abit like a Taiwanese bride O0

Erm...is that The Taiwanese Dales Walk then Jim? What area does that cover...oh on second thoughts DON'T ANSWER THAT! lol  ;D :D ;)

Steve
Steve (gotmeheadshaved)

gotmeheadshaved

• Veteran Member
Well that is two of us Granty

Now a late night walk or a walk ending at sunrise

Make that 3 of us for the night walk! Is the aim of the walk to find the nearest pub with a headtorch?  ;D

Steve
Steve (gotmeheadshaved)

Granty

• Veteran Member
I think Kinder would be good as its a familiar area, just to be at the top at sunset on a nice day would be amazing!

TheGUYuk

• Veteran Member
Greenfield res to pots and pans that would make them sweat.

TheGUYuk

• Veteran Member
I think Kinder would be good as its a familiar area, just to be at the top at sunset on a nice day would be amazing!

Night walk, wild camp or Edale camp  ( but it is winter and freezing! although I have seen people camping in January in Edale ) and get up for Sunrise, knowing my look it would be clouded over! ::)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy