Author Topic: suggestions please for boots with non slippery soles!  (Read 5000 times)

whitehorse

For years I have had boots with Vibram soles, and for years I have been thinking there has been something wrong with the way I walk as I used to slip so much on the road and on rocky paths. This summer has been a bit of a revelation- my usual boots got too stiff and uncomfortable to wear after a soaking (think they are past re proofing) and so needing some other boots in a hurry I got some cheap ones off the market. No more slipping!

The problem is, they don't fit very well. Can anyone please recommend some walking boots with soles that grip on rock/tarmac better than the Vibram soles?

Ronin83

Re: suggestions please for boots with non slippery soles!
« Reply #1 on: 15:51:06, 07/09/18 »
Salamons contragrip soles are supposed to be more grippy than vibram. Also the continental runner used on some of adidas' outdoor range.
The problem is that with 'tacky grippiness' come softer rubber which wears out quicker, but that's the price u pay.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:06:25, 07/09/18 »
All my cheapo boots have been very grippy - the best being some £25 Gelert boots from SportsDirect.  They (my feet) took some breaking in but once that was sorted out, they were comfy, grippy and waterproof once I got past that.  I think I needed a larger size and replaced the insole with something a little more cushioned.... but I do that with all my walking shoes anyway.

But yes, like Ronin83 says, the trade off is they don't last as long.

.... on the other hand, 3 pairs of cheapo grippy boots probably costs the same as one pair of more expensive not so grippy boots...  :-\

whitehorse

« Reply #3 on: 21:00:29, 07/09/18 »

thanks for the replies :-)

that's interesting that its cheaper boots in general that grip better!

I'd definitely rather buy cheaper boots, even if it costs more in the long run replacing them more frequently, if it means I have better grip. I've lost quite a lot of confidence on rocky steep paths with slipping boots (and looking like a wally inching down steep tarmac roads) and if it means I can avoid an injury that's worth a lot!

I do quite a bit of walking in the dales and the limestone rock seems lethal in vibrams when wet!

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 00:04:41, 08/09/18 »
Wet limestone is lethal stuff - other less lethal wet rocks are available. My current boots (Tetheras) are virtually racing slicks in terms of tread but still provide grip on most rocks, less so on mud/grass combined with a gradient now that they are worn.  For what it’s worth, a set of trekking poles adroitly used can compensate for a lack of grip in the boot department though.
Solvitur Ambulando

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 08:26:49, 08/09/18 »
I've never found a pair of non slippy boots! I bought Brasher, Salomon, Keene and Berghaus, all more or less the same, OK when dry, potentially dangerous when damp or wet. The biggest danger as I've experienced it is when rocks are damp or wet (and also move underfoot) and I also do not put my feet on rock moss. Obviously other things are problems, mud, crumbly earth, grass, plants, rotting vegetation for example. On my recent hike I slipped and fell on my back three times, always on damp days and each time because of a rock and my momentary lack of concentration. Luckily my rucksac cushioned the fall each time, if not I would have been in real trouble. I too rely on my hiking sticks to help me stay upright, saved me from serious problems many times.

whitehorse

« Reply #6 on: 23:30:40, 08/09/18 »

They do still slip sometimes, but this summer it has been interesting to see the difference walking in the cheap boots. Even the limestone rock seems better in them- it's still not great but there's definitely been less acrobatics and more controlled slipping!

Ronin83

« Reply #7 on: 01:22:05, 09/09/18 »
I have to say I've stood on very steep rock with the Adidas continental soles and they were like bloody glue. Amazing.
Having said that I haven't found vibram soles very slippy when worn in as long as you tread carefully, I think theres a skill to that.
If you do suffer from slipping, maybe a thinner sole, keeping you closer to the ground and with more sensory feedback would help.

jontea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 09:01:46, 09/09/18 »
I haven’t experienced a problem with Vibram soles in particular. I guess any boot will slip under certain conditions.
But where you place your feet is a big part of it as well.

Cheaper boots in general tend to have a more softer flexible sole with less tread and support than the stiffer alternatives,
and as you’ll know, designed for low level walking rather than mountains.

Mountain boots have stiffer soles and a deeper tread for supporting your feet on steep rock edges, but they aren’t great on trails and roads and have less of a sense of feel.

Perhaps as the softer sole has more contact with the surface of say a smooth rock or road, it feels it has more grip?

Maybe the Vibram soles you’ve had in the past were too stiff for the type of walking you do? Perhaps it’s just a softer more flexible sole you need for the type of walking you do?  :)

Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

Ronin83

« Reply #9 on: 09:59:25, 09/09/18 »
Ah yeh...
If u do want some good strong leather boots then check out haix. They use Davos soles on their army boots. You can get some barely used grade 1 off ebay. Might be worth a try. There are 3 British army types...
High liability desert boots
High liability leather gtx boots
ECW/cold wet weather boots(leather, gtx and insulated)

whitehorse

« Reply #10 on: 23:31:57, 15/09/18 »

I've ordered a pair of adidas walking boots, fingers crossed they'll have the right soles (and fit) as I didn't have the time or patience to do the long drive to the big shops!

Sounds like most things there are horses for courses and I just haven't thought about it enough before. I don't do any mountain walking so no need for boots to negotiate scree etc so hopefully these ones will be the happy medium.

thanks for all your help  :)

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 11:25:43, 16/09/18 »
The rubber used by Salomon is pretty good on most surfaces, even wet grass and rock.
Their rubber out sole, is more flexible than most, and is quite long lasting as well.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 12:23:29, 16/09/18 »
The rubber used by Salomon is pretty good on most surfaces, even wet grass and rock.
Their rubber out sole, is more flexible than most, and is quite long lasting as well.
Tis a pity they are so narrow and that the soles part company with the upper.Luckily mine didn't last long enough to work out how to replace the laces.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy