Author Topic: Screwfix offer  (Read 1021 times)

zuludog

Screwfix offer
« on: 18:47:13, 28/01/19 »
I'm not a builder, or even a keen DIY-er, but I have bought a few things from Screwfix, the chain of builder's merchants
Like many retailers they ask for, and keep, your contact details; so now & again I get mailings about various offers & promotions. It's not very often, and I can live with it

But every blue moon I get a letter along the lines of 'you haven't bought anything from us for a while, so here's a £10 voucher'. Well there's nothing I really need in the way of tools or bathroom fittings, but...... they sell gas cartridges

They are butane/propane mixture, standard screw thread, and the tall ones intended for blowlamps. This would be tricky with a cartridge top burner but not a problem for me as I use a hose connected stove with a pre-heating tube

So I can get three 175g cartridges for  (3 X 4,49) = 13,47 - 10 = £3-47  It all helps   

They have bigger cartridges but they are longer and a bit cumbersome for camping, though I have used them when I've seen them on offer at discount stores
« Last Edit: 18:55:40, 28/01/19 by zuludog »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Screwfix offer
« Reply #1 on: 22:20:28, 28/01/19 »
I've used propane/butane blowlamp cylinders in the past - but they can burn very hot. I actually managed to melt holes in the brass burner of a small hose connected gas stove - perhaps the propane/butane ratio is different?
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 08:56:58, 29/01/19 »
I've used propane/butane blowlamp cylinders in the past - but they can burn very hot. I actually managed to melt holes in the brass burner of a small hose connected gas stove - perhaps the propane/butane ratio is different?

The ones I have purchased from ToolStation are actually 'Screw-Top' Camping Gaz cartridges

Only £2.98 for the 170g and £4.34 for the 350g cartridge.

https://www.toolstation.com/butane-propane-mix-gas-cartridge/p68050

Orders over £10 are delivered free of charge next day.

The Coleman 220g are typically £3.50 whilst the MSR 113g is around £5.

It pays to shop-around and maybe take a slightly bigger cartridge to save a 'couple of quid'.
« Last Edit: 09:03:55, 29/01/19 by alan de enfield »

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 09:29:03, 29/01/19 »
There appears to have been a shift lately in the sizes of gas cartridges made, with bigger ones becoming more common, while the old 250g one seems to me to be less widely available now. Not only that, but its capacity has shrunk first to 240g and now to 230g.

Having said that, I am happy with the 230. Both the slightly lower price and a fraction less weight appeal to me  :) and as I only boil water twice in the morning, once at lunchtime and once in the evening, for coffee, wash, cup-a-soup and freeze-dried dinner, it is enough for my trips of up to four days.

zuludog

« Reply #4 on: 10:40:13, 29/01/19 »

I haven't noticed that.

A few years ago I bought up the entire stock of Go Gas  butane/propane blowlamp cartridges from my local Focus DIY store when they were closing down, and selling them for £1 each; 17 or 18 cartridges as I remember

I've been using them in my Primus Gravity stove and a Go Outdoors OEX stove, forgotten its name. They both have preheating tubes. I use the cartridge laying on its side or inverted, and had no problems

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy