Author Topic: Steepest Mile?  (Read 2208 times)

Little Foot

Re: Steepest Mile?
« Reply #15 on: 15:06:08, 24/07/20 »
*Creates list titled 'Hills To Avoid'*

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 17:44:12, 24/07/20 »
*Creates list titled 'Hills To Avoid'*

;D Creates list called, hills I should have climbed when I was younger.  O0

MkPotato

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 18:04:28, 24/07/20 »
I think there’s something slightly masochistic about hill-walking. I find myself drawn to doing that route up Kirk Fell!

It’s a shame Wasdale is a bit of a pain to get to. (Or maybe it’s for the best).

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 14:23:38, 25/07/20 »
The route onto Great Gable from the junction with Moses Trod via Gavel Neese is an ascent of 2367 feet (720 metres) in a mile. I did it once and it felt as if my toes were touching my shins.
It's all uphill from here.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 19:50:37, 25/07/20 »
The route onto Great Gable from the junction with Moses Trod via Gavel Neese is an ascent of 2367 feet (720 metres) in a mile. I did it once and it felt as if my toes were touching my shins.

There are a few over 600.  From the fork on Lingmell Gill, up to Symonds Knott on Sca Fell is 630m in 1 mile via the Lords Rake Spur.  I have only come down that way though.   :)

Longest continuous steep accent in UK has to be the car park at the head of Glen Nevis and take the path up the edge of the waterslide into Coire Eoghain and then up to the summit of Ben Nevis. 3838 ft (1170m) in 1.5 miles.  I think it's off abroad to beat that one.  ;)
« Last Edit: 16:39:09, 26/07/20 by BuzyG »

MkPotato

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 08:14:16, 26/07/20 »

There are a few over 600.  From the fork on Lingmell Gill, up to Symonds Knott on Sca Fell is 630m in 1 mile via the Lords Rake Spur.  I have only come down that way though.   :)

The paths up Scafell Pike from the Eskdale/Great Moss look pretty steep as well.

I think the combination of the route up Devil’s Kitchen and the scree slope up Glyder Fawr is quite a climb in a short distance. The mid section is a bit of a respite, but the rest is hard work.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 10:00:36, 02/08/20 »
The path up Ben More from Glen Dochart rises 2530' in a mile after leaving the Land Rover track. Looks brutal.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

harry_keogh

« Reply #22 on: 11:21:00, 11/08/20 »
Pen y Ole Wen is steep... but I find the ascent quite varied and interesting so don't really notice it as much. It's one of my favourite walks.
Elidir Fawr on the other hand is just a relentless slog!

I imagine Kirk Fell would be worse but I haven't done that one yet.... it's on my list to do soon as part of the horseshoe.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 20:30:06, 20/08/20 »
The path up Ben More from Glen Dochart rises 2530' in a mile after leaving the Land Rover track. Looks brutal.

I must be a masochist as we had a family outing up Ben More on Monday - the 1000m climb up from Glen Dochart seems to go on forever, and dwarfs the likes of Kirk Fell and Pen yo Ole Wen.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 13:20:04, 21/08/20 »
Pen Yr Ole Wens southern flanks, are the steepest continual climb in the whole of Snowdonia, probably Wales as well.
A very steep gradient, for over 2000ft, there's no let up, and its very easy to get yourself into trouble, by venturing onto challenging ground, where scrambling becomes an all out rock climb.

I found this out, many years ago, where i ventured off the poorly defined scree path, and foolishly started to clamber up a steep bit of rock face, which looked easy from below, but became serious half way up.
How i got back down, i still do not know, but i am not ashamed to say i was in tears due to the perilous situation i put myself in.

MkPotato

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 20:30:38, 21/08/20 »
Pen Yr Ole Wens southern flanks, are the steepest continual climb in the whole of Snowdonia, probably Wales as well.
A very steep gradient, for over 2000ft, there's no let up, and its very easy to get yourself into trouble, by venturing onto challenging ground, where scrambling becomes an all out rock climb.

I found this out, many years ago, where i ventured off the poorly defined scree path, and foolishly started to clamber up a steep bit of rock face, which looked easy from below, but became serious half way up.
How i got back down, i still do not know, but i am not ashamed to say i was in tears due to the perilous situation i put myself in.

I’ve only done this path twice.

The first time, I expected the worst, and although it was a very steep pull, I got up, out of breath, but with a tremendous sense of achievement. I then went on and enjoyed what is a beautiful ridge walk in perfect conditions.

The second time, I made the mistake of confusing a clear but windy (50mph) day as being another cake-walk.

The first third was difficult, but once I got to the scree section and above, it was really unpleasant. Not only was there dust being thrown in my face, I also got slightly lost in the scrambly section above the scree. There’s a lot of crumbly, loose rock there. Very difficult terrain. It wouldn’t surprise me if I made a similar mistake. I was not happy.

To make matters worse, once I got past that and it levelled off towards the top, the wind howled at gale force for the next hour or so of walking. Such a beautiful spot, but very wild.

Looking at my map tracks, it’s difficult to tell, but I think it’s better to stay on the east side of the direct line, whilst avoiding the most direct route. I’m not sure I could remember the way, as there’s not really a path after the scree section.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 20:44:30, 21/08/20 »
Climbed Pen yr Ole Wen several times from Ogwen Cottage, but wised up to the fact that the eastern ridge above Ffynnon Lloer is a much more reasonable route.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 20:47:44, 21/08/20 »
I found it was quite easy to get onto steep stuff. I might have been on a similar area to that described by DA when two RAF jets screamed along below me. I nearly jumped off the rock face.

Sarah Pitht

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 15:45:40, 22/08/20 »
Kirk Fell - yes it's a pull up the nose. We walked it in the afternoon having tackled Yewbarrow directly from Overbeck in the morning. The next day Ling Fell up the steep slope (rather then from round the back via Hollowstones) and then onto the Col and Scafell Pike. I had quite enough steep ascents that weekend!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy