Author Topic: Where are you good people walking DURING the week?  (Read 276543 times)

strawy

Re: Where are you good people walking DURING the week?
« Reply #975 on: 22:41:16, 21/01/20 »
When thinking about it,there are quite a lot of them about,maybe we shudnt try the locks,but we do not damage,they are in the middle of nowhere after all(CCTV is present)apparently,yeh,i for 1 appreciate these "shelters".

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #976 on: 23:08:52, 21/01/20 »
If nothing else, they are a make a decent lee in an otherwise very open landscape.  I do not know which estate owns the Deepdale area but when I have walked through there while they were shooting they were very friendly and well managed.  There is another good hut near Great Rundale Tarn, never tried the door there though.
Solvitur Ambulando

strawy

« Reply #977 on: 01:20:28, 22/01/20 »
If nothing else, they are a make a decent lee in an otherwise very open landscape.  I do not know which estate owns the Deepdale area but when I have walked through there while they were shooting they were very friendly and well managed.  There is another good hut near Great Rundale Tarn, never tried the door there though.
Yes,nice people in Deepdale/Bowes area,best "hut" ive ventured into is near Lofthouse(Nidderdale)what a view,would like to get into the "posh" bit,but i aint ever gonna abuse the hospitality provided  :)

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #978 on: 23:43:44, 28/01/20 »
A nice smattering of snow on the Dartmoor web cam this morning.  So I took the afternoon off and headed up Great Links, from the Dartmoor Inn (the Okehampton range was off limits)

Enjoyed the walk up, with a stiff breeze on my back.  Just s I reached the shelter of the summit rocks a blizzard rolled in.  I took a quick video, which finished off my phone battery and the OS App GPS refused to work after I reset and hooked up my battery pack.  Thinking about it later I was hunkered down under a granite wall 15m+ high.  Any way with just a 50k paper map and compass and visibility at naff all, I decided to simply head straight back down again, rather than continue on to Green Tor.

A little moor added to the knowledge bank. O0

pasbury

« Reply #979 on: 13:31:48, 29/01/20 »
As part of our winter campaign to walk the Welsh Coast path as far a Cardiff from Chepstow, we walked the stretch from Portskewett to Rogiet last friday.
It could be described as an anti-scenic walk :)  but also maybe a civil engineers walk as it passes the Severn Tunnel pumping station at Sudbrook, the site of the old pier for the ferry, the ruins of a chapel, most of which is now in the sea and then is dominated by the Prince of Wales Bridge!
Interesting perspectives on the bridge (the path goes under it) but not a walk for lovers of silence.
I found it really interesting.

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #980 on: 19:23:14, 29/01/20 »
I don't like to broadcast where I am going to be walking, so this is about where I walked last week. I booked two nights at the premier Inn near junction 36 of the M1. Arrived at midday on Wednesday and went off for a walk. Out of the Industrial Estate, and picked up the trans Pennine Trail to Wortley. Did a circular route, through Howbrook, and Westwood Country Park back to the hotel, 8 miles.
Day 2. Out of the Industrial Estate by a different route, to Pilley, Birdwell, Worsborough, pick up the Trail again to Silkstone, then back past Wentworth. 14 miles.
Day 3. I checked out of the hotel and drove to Elsecar. Had a look round the Heritage Centre, walked past the reservoir, to Wentworth, and a circular route back to the car. 6 Miles.
The weather was glorious, I was lucky. Some nice views, but I was shocked at how much fly tipping I saw. I photographed it and have sent in reports to Barnsley Council, and Rotherham Council.

I've posted on my blog with photo's if anyone is interested. 
ilona

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #981 on: 14:21:13, 30/01/20 »
I don't like to broadcast where I am going to be walking, so this is about where I walked last week. I booked two nights at the premier Inn near junction 36 of the M1. Arrived at midday on Wednesday and went off for a walk. Out of the Industrial Estate, and picked up the trans Pennine Trail to Wortley. Did a circular route, through Howbrook, and Westwood Country Park back to the hotel, 8 miles.
Day 2. Out of the Industrial Estate by a different route, to Pilley, Birdwell, Worsborough, pick up the Trail again to Silkstone, then back past Wentworth. 14 miles.
Day 3. I checked out of the hotel and drove to Elsecar. Had a look round the Heritage Centre, walked past the reservoir, to Wentworth, and a circular route back to the car. 6 Miles.
The weather was glorious, I was lucky. Some nice views, but I was shocked at how much fly tipping I saw. I photographed it and have sent in reports to Barnsley Council, and Rotherham Council.

I've posted on my blog with photo's if anyone is interested. 
ilona

Some nice walks around that area Ilona.  I lived in Barnsley for a while and spent many a happy hour up at Worsbrough Reservoir taking in the solitude and peacefulness, likewise many a happy tramp around Wentworth Woodhouse, Canon Hall Park/Cawthorne Country Park , Bretton Lakes etc
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #982 on: 20:30:26, 02/02/20 »
Since my 9.5 months a year job became permanent employment I can now wangle the odd day off during the week so I have a 20 mile walk planned for Tuesday.
I am supposed to be waking the Pennine Way in the summer and suddenly realised how many years it was since I last walked 20 miles in a day and so, while Welyn Garden City to Barnet is not exactly the same as Middleton to Dufton, I thought I should try it to see if it is still possible.

Little Foot

« Reply #983 on: 10:47:41, 03/02/20 »
I'm heading to Leeds with the dog to do the Meanwood Valley trail on Friday. Hoping to do about 14 miles, which will give me chance to see how the dog copes.

Yorkshiremarv

« Reply #984 on: 11:08:27, 03/02/20 »
Whilst currently unemployed i walk around the field paths and riverbanks where i live(the very flat part of east yorkshire). Does get tedious and boring at times but its a good chance to get the miles into my legs/feet for maybe an ultra later this year. I keep my eyes and ears alert for any wildlife thats about and let my brain wander off into dreamland. Ive now got a 15mile circuit that takes about 5hrs, i always try to keep to 3mph and im ashamed to say if its looking like i average less then i get a shuffle on to make up the distance! :D .

"if in doubt, flat out"

strawy

« Reply #985 on: 04:11:58, 05/02/20 »
Having been frustratingly laid up for a fortnight,did a local Teesdale Way walk,Barnard Castle to Cotherstone circular,both sides of the Tees,bit slippy/muddy in places(wasnt bothered in the slightest)very enjoyable,i felt so much better  O0
Its such a good feeling to be able to get out & about,took my time & spoke to the sheep along the way  :-[
Stay Safe Everyone.

GordonHorwich

« Reply #986 on: 12:50:10, 05/02/20 »
Anglezarke Amble on Saturday. Anyone else on the forum doing it? It will be my first time ..... as a walk (previously run it)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #987 on: 21:49:29, 07/02/20 »
Scout Scar early afternoon, beautiful views from the limestone edge - Coniston Old Man, Scafell Pike, Langdale Pikes, Helvellyn/Red Screes, High Street, Howgills … beautiful.

Hampsfell in the dark this evening - quite an experience!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Little Foot

« Reply #988 on: 09:00:11, 08/02/20 »
Didn't do Meanwood Valley, as figured that'd be nice to walk with my son. I ended up taking a train to Ilkley and walked the Dales Way up to Bolton Abbey. I got as far as the tea room, which is a mile before the actual abbey. I walked back to Addingham then got the bus to Ilkley. I was worried I'd miss my Ilkley train which would make me late for my Leeds train, but in hindsight I could have walked. Was a lovely area and will definitely return!

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #989 on: 14:08:19, 12/02/20 »
We took advantage of today's window in the weather to go roamin' by the Lowman wae Mrs N as the lassie by my side.  The roads were still very wet with streams flowing across them or down them.  Lots of snowdrops, daffodils and catkins in evidence as well as storm debris.  Followed the walk with a very acceptable pub lunch in Uplowman village.
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy