Author Topic: The Long Mynd  (Read 3350 times)

adalard

• Veteran Member
The Long Mynd
« on: 10:12:41, 31/10/17 »
Morning everyone.  :)

This is a new one for me - posting in the "Rest of England" section. We went to Shropshire a couple of weeks back and stayed overnight in the area. We did three walks in total in the Shropshire Hills which was completely new walking territory for me and I thought it was wonderful. I've already plotted several other walks around there and can't wait to go back.

In the meantime, I've got round to writing up the first walk we did, which was up onto the Long Mynd via Carding Mill Valley and back down through Ashes Hollow. A few pics from the blog below:

Image may contain: sky, plant, mountain, tree, grass, cloud, outdoor and nature
Side view as we walked up the Carding Mill Valley.

Image may contain: mountain, sky, plant, tree, outdoor, nature and water
View from the top of Light Spout waterfall.

Image may contain: horse, grass, sky, outdoor and nature
It was a nice surprise coming across these semi-wild Welsh pit ponies.

Image may contain: food

Image may contain: mountain, sky, plant, grass, tree, outdoor and nature
On our way down Ashes Hollow.

Image may contain: sky, tree, plant, mountain, outdoor, nature and water
Quinny Brook in Ashes Hollow.

As always, more photos and the full trip report can be found at the blog here:

http://www.occasionallylost.com/2017/10/shropshire-hills-long-mynd.html

Cheers.  :)

pleb

• Veteran Member
Re: The Long Mynd
« Reply #1 on: 10:21:39, 31/10/17 »
*Sighs pathetically................*
Somewhere I would love to visit!
Good shots  O0
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 11:04:29, 31/10/17 »
Looks like a lovely place adalard  O0
I don't like the look of your  lunch though in your fourth pic  ;D
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 11:27:44, 31/10/17 »
Very nice photos. I last walked in the Long Mynd area in the 60s when I was a student. I was on a 2 week Tavistock Insitute Residential Groupwork course and just needed to get away on the one day off we were allowed. At the time the intensity of it was doing my head ion! All I remember that day was it was very sunny and that some sheep were downright brazen! As I sat and ate a sandwich one of them snatched it from my hand and ran off!

My other memory was when one of the USA ladies on the course got into a real panic when she heard over the radio that the Three Mile Island Nuclear facility had 'crashed' in some way. Her dad worked there and it took three days before she found out that he was safe.

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 11:48:14, 31/10/17 »
Great Photos, welcome to Shropshire, I pretty sure I know were you took that photo of the fungi, near the top of Ashes hollow batch at the base of a Rowan tree growing close to the stream. I think it is a boletus, if I remember right.
My walks on the Mynd have taught me to use the batches to walk into the hill and the spurs they form as the way off the hill, this way you are walking into the view, and you are saving batches for another walk. One of the advances of using Open Access rather than following footpaths.

If you can sync. the times of your walks to the Shrewsbury - Ludlow bus timetable, you can get some interesting linear routes. Same for the other side with the Ragleth and Caradoc. Usually best to hop on the bus close to where you start, do a few stops then walk into your chosen route.

BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 13:29:52, 31/10/17 »
Lovely photos, don't know the area at all.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 15:10:22, 31/10/17 »
What a lovely place, great pics and write up on your blog  O0 We do have fab countryside in this country don't we?

I went on a canal holiday as a teenager in Shropshire but I can't remember the scenery that much except a viaduct that crossed the border into Wales. Shropshire and The Long Mynd is added to the list of places I would like to walk, thanks Adalard  O0
Hate will never win

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 18:53:59, 31/10/17 »
Great photos and TR adalard    :)    It looks a wonderful area for walking, with the lovely scenery of hills enfolding the valleys.  I've never been to Shropshire but I find its geology very interesting.

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 19:45:18, 31/10/17 »
Somewhere I would love to visit!
Good shots  O0

Cheers, Pleb - it's well worth going. Beautiful place & tons of walking routes!  :)

Looks like a lovely place adalard  O0
I don't like the look of your  lunch though in your fourth pic  ;D

Thanks, Beefy. Shame you didn't like my food - I thought it was Masterchef-worthy serving it on a tree trunk like that...  ;D

Very nice photos. All I remember that day was it was very sunny and that some sheep were downright brazen! As I sat and ate a sandwich one of them snatched it from my hand and ran off!

Thanks, Gunwharfman.  O0  We have a few sheep like that here in the Peak District too...

Great Photos, welcome to Shropshire, I pretty sure I know were you took that photo of the fungi, near the top of Ashes hollow batch at the base of a Rowan tree growing close to the stream. I think it is a boletus, if I remember right.

Cheers, BWW.   :)

Yes, you're exactly right about the location of the fungus - I'm not well up enough on the subject to identify them myself though, so I'll go with your identification.

Thanks for the tips about walking around there, very handy as we'll be returning regularly I think. We did see a few people walking above us on the spurs. We did Caer Caradoc after this walk and then next day we walked the Stiperstones ridge. Ragleth and Hope Bowdler Hill are both on our to-do list for when we return.

Interesting - "batches", is that a local name for what we call "cloughs" further north?

Lovely photos, don't know the area at all.

Cheers, Ridge.  O0

What a lovely place, great pics and write up on your blog  O0 We do have fab countryside in this country don't we?

I went on a canal holiday as a teenager in Shropshire but I can't remember the scenery that much except a viaduct that crossed the border into Wales. Shropshire and The Long Mynd is added to the list of places I would like to walk, thanks Adalard  O0

Thanks, April.  :)   We sure do - we were blown away by the scenery.

I'm sure you guys would enjoy it around there.  :)

Great photos and TR adalard    :)    It looks a wonderful area for walking, with the lovely scenery of hills enfolding the valleys.  I've never been to Shropshire but I find its geology very interesting.

Thanks, Dovegirl.  :)  Yes, I was reading up on the geology - fascinating that the Long Mynd was a sea bed and that Caer Caradoc was formed from volcanoes on the coastline. Brilliant stuff! I'm writing up the Caer Caradoc walk next.

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 16:16:37, 02/11/17 »
Late to the party, but really enjoyed this on your blog Adalard.

lostme1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 20:31:32, 02/11/17 »
Great TR and lovely photos. A few years ago I thought about walking there but for various reasons it never happened so with your TR I was able to do a virtual walk. Thank you.
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

John Walker

« Reply #11 on: 22:04:26, 02/11/17 »
Hi Adalard,
Thank you, such a good TR, lovely photos.  I did a very similar walk (in reverse) back in 2014 (http://www.greenlives.org.uk/LDwalks2.html ) but didn't take any pictures so it is great to be reminded of the scenery.

Interesting - "batches", is that a local name for what we call "cloughs" further north?

The word 'batch' seems to mean a smallish hill in N.Somerset (where I grew up).  Interesting to know what it refers to in Shropshire?

Cheers
JW
http://www.greenlives.org.uk/walk.html
National Trails completed: SWCP, Thames, SDW and NDW

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 17:45:56, 03/11/17 »

Late to the party, but really enjoyed this on your blog Adalard.

Cheers, Penygadair.  :)

Great TR and lovely photos. A few years ago I thought about walking there but for various reasons it never happened so with your TR I was able to do a virtual walk. Thank you.

Thanks, Lostme1 - I'm glad you enjoyed it.  :)

Thank you, such a good TR, lovely photos.  I did a very similar walk (in reverse) back in 2014 (http://www.greenlives.org.uk/LDwalks2.html ) but didn't take any pictures so it is great to be reminded of the scenery.

The word 'batch' seems to mean a smallish hill in N.Somerset (where I grew up).  Interesting to know what it refers to in Shropshire?

Thanks, John. The route you took up was one I considered myself - there seem to a lot of choices for getting on and off the plateau, as BWW said. Nice to know there are plenty of options for future walks. I think it'd be a great spot for walking when there's a dusting of snow around, so fingers crossed...  O0

I wish there was a dictionary of all our "local" dialect terms for landscape features. We might be only a small group of islands but I think the amount of regional variation in even just the English language is incredibly rich and diverse - and then you can add Welsh and Gaelic to that as well.

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 08:47:37, 04/11/17 »
Lovely photos O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy