Author Topic: Charge to walk up Snowdon & possibly other mountains a step closer  (Read 2082 times)

BrionyB

I do wonder where it will end. Funnily enough I was looking at the line of people on Striding Edge the other day, thinking it looked like the queue for a theme park ride and wondering how long before it becomes a ticketed tourist attraction, with safety ropes and compulsory helmets, and opening and closing times. And maybe a zip wire to come back down...  ::)

I wonder also whether introducing a charge will counterintuitively increase rather than decrease the number of visitors; I seem to remember there's a phenomenon where putting a price on something (or increasing the price) can increase the demand by making it seem more prestigious and desirable.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
It is strange that on my last visits to the summits of Snowdon and Hellvellyn I saw nobody outside the small group I was walking with. The time of day / week and weather conditions make a big difference to how many people are around..

Booga

I wonder what percentage of visitors to Snowdon are already paying to park somewhere before their walk?
I doubt an extra £2 on the price of their day is going to put many people off considering the amount many will have paid in fuel, food, parking etc.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
It's not the £2 that makes me incensed about this proposal, it is the principle. How dare they suggest charging people to gain access, via a public right of way over CROW land, to go to the top of an iconic mountain?

If approved, this would set a very disturbing precedent, which I have no doubt that grasping unscrupulous landowners would be only too happy to follow.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
Sounds like a simple case of a tax on climbing the mountain. That I have to disagree with in principal, regardless of the price of admission or the circumstances. It could be the start of a slippery slope, in the UK. There is a railway up it that carries 75000+ people up each year too.  Alas Snowdon is a victim of it's own raw beauty and the success of those happy to exploit it. 

MkPotato

• Veteran Member
Perhaps it might be better to charge American dentists and other rich right-wing gun enthusiasts say £10,000 the right to track and shoot a walker on the massif? This would reduce the number of visitors significantly (one way or the other). Any Instagram pictures would be required to pay a royalty to councillors whiskey and cigar fund.

Parking would then be free.

It would certainly pique the interest of those no longer thrilled by Crib Goch.

Radical problems require radical solutions in the post-Brexit world. Job done.
« Last Edit: 19:42:39, 04/10/20 by MkPotato »

Toxicbunny

It will be hard to make some people pay. The national trust own land and they charge for carparks. I have no issue but many an idiot will park on the roadside and block the traffic rather than pay. There's a carpark up north always has issues with this. 

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy