Author Topic: Upgrading summer wild camping insulation for autumn  (Read 2254 times)

Pitboot

Re: Upgrading summer wild camping insulation for autumn
« Reply #15 on: 04:27:06, 23/09/19 »
I would imagine that a four season synthetic sleeping bag will not be very compact or light, unless I'm totally clueless.

zuludog

« Reply #16 on: 07:46:21, 23/09/19 »
I would imagine that a four season synthetic sleeping bag will not be very compact or light, unless I'm totally clueless.

So would I, but if you want lots of insulation in damp conditions you haven't got much choice

The alternative would be to get a top class down filled sub - zero sleeping bag, but that would still be susceptible to damp, and very expensive

Search YouTube for 'Buffalo Sleeping Bag' and 'Buffalo Clothing', there are a few reviews & videos
Buffalo are very robust and moisture resistant. The downside is that they are a bit heavy, bulky, and expensive
« Last Edit: 12:20:01, 23/09/19 by zuludog »

Patrick1

« Reply #17 on: 11:07:18, 23/09/19 »

The cheapest way to increase your warmth at night would be to add some lightweight foil insulation under your sleeping mat. I use a sheet of radiator insulation from B&Q - this is the one I use and is polystyrene backed, you can get bubble wrap backed versions which are a bit warmer but bulkier. It makes a substantial difference to heat loss to the ground, especially noticeable when I've deflated my neoair a little for increased comfort. Folded up it slips down the back of my pack and doubles as a nice warm sit-mat too.

Using the same principle on top of me, I bought a lightweight reflective blanket at the beginning of this year - this one here, specifically. This is not such a cheap option but I think it does make a significant difference to warmth at night. Certainly if, wearing only light clothing, I wrap it around me I feel a substantial gain in heat very rapidly. Over a sleeping bag the effect is noticeable less immediately, but is also significant. Its a fairly light way (200g) to take the rating of your sleeping bag down a good few degrees, in my opinion, and it comes with me whenever I think there's a chance of the temperature dropping a bit more overnight than I'd hoped.
« Last Edit: 11:57:52, 23/09/19 by Patrick1 »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 20:25:33, 23/09/19 »
Search YouTube for 'Buffalo Sleeping Bag' and 'Buffalo Clothing', there are a few reviews & videos
Buffalo are very robust and moisture resistant. The downside is that they are a bit heavy, bulky, and expensive

I'm sleeping out in my Buffalo bag tonight - purchased in the mid 1980's and still going strong!

..and I've used it just below the snowline in the Alps.
« Last Edit: 20:39:18, 23/09/19 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Chump

« Reply #19 on: 21:07:54, 23/09/19 »
Again, more useful suggestions to look into, do a bit of research on and think about  :) .

Regarding my clothing getting damp on my recent trip, it was due to a combination of factors. It rained almost constantly for five of the six days, so rain found its way up my trouser legs from damp grass, mud bogs etc and multiple stream crossings (including two up to my thighs in Glen Nevis), up my sleeves due to water running downhill toward my elbow while using trekking poles, being absorbed into my sleeves while putting on and taking off wet gloves, down my neck when it was too hot to wear a hood, and being pushed through the fabric of my jacket at the waist and shoulders while wearing a rucksack. It was a case of delaying the water ingress for a long as possible each day and aiming for warm and damp rather than cold and wet.

Admittedly my jacket is getting on a bit - I have patched it at the shoulder with Tenacious Tape where it developed a couple of holes while practising ice axe arrest.

I have a full length self inflatable Multimat and a CCF, so I will try them together, or perhaps the CCF and and Prolite, to see if it makes a difference.

I will also look into everyone else's suggestions - it's always good to learn from more experienced folk.

I actually hate 'gear' when it comes to outdoor stuff. I just want stuff that lets me get out and about. The trouble is that as my ambitions have increased, my gear needs to become a bit more 'advanced' to match. Not new and shiny, but able to keep me comfortable under more varied conditions. In this case that means suitable for higher elevations (i.e. better quality but also light weight enough to haul up our relatively modest mountains rather than descending to the valleys every night) and also throughout a longer season. This means I'm now sucked into a world of thinking about gear way more than I ever want to. Infuriating!  >:(

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 08:29:46, 24/09/19 »
If any part of me does get cold, it is likely to be my feet. I'm thinking of making up a half length sleeping bag out of some fibre pile that I have, just to cover my legs.

Man wae a dug

« Reply #21 on: 08:43:48, 24/09/19 »
Have you tried Heat Holders socks?  I used to get cold feet in winter and never had a problem with it since I started wearing these. I reckon they would work as sleeping socks, it’s what I’m going to do anyway.
Be ye man or bairn or wumman
Be ye gaun or be ye comin
For Scotlands pride no Scotlands shame
Gether yer litter and tak it hame!

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 09:35:08, 24/09/19 »
I'll look out for them - although I do sometimes wear a extra thick pair of thermal socks.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 09:46:55, 24/09/19 »
How odd human beings are, I can get cold around my torso, sometimes my legs will be cold but my feet, very rarely. I can't remember the last time I wore socks at night?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy