Author Topic: Down Filled Socks?  (Read 929 times)

zuludog

Down Filled Socks?
« on: 23:10:44, 10/02/19 »
I'm thinking of getting some insulated socks or booties to wear mainly in my sleeping bag and tent, but perhaps also for padding around a bothy or hostel
Down seems to be the most common but I'd also consider good quality synthetic like Primaloft as that would be more resistant to moisture

Any comments or recommendations please?

taxino8

Re: Down Filled Socks?
« Reply #1 on: 06:47:42, 11/02/19 »

I got some of these for Xmas but have only worn them in the house at the moment so can’t really comment except to say they are warm.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NORTH-FACE-Thermoball-Traction-Shadow/dp/B01N7JWGLU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1549867553&sr=8-2&keywords=north+face+slippers

zuludog

« Reply #2 on: 13:10:05, 11/02/19 »
Well, I've been Surfing t'Net and I've bought something already

Most of these sort of things are fairly substantial hut slippers or mules, or very expensive top class makes for serious mountaineering
I wanted something softer and lighter that I could carry when I'm backpacking, and more reasonably priced if possible
I would wear them mostly for lazing around in a backpacking tent or as bedsocks inside my sleeping bag, and only occasionally outside

I found Nordisk Mos Down Shoes. I don't think they're the best, being, I think, sewn through, but they should be good enough for what I want. They weigh about 180g.
It looks like they're being discontinued, and are being sold off by various suppliers for about £20
I take size 11/46, and those are almost completely sold out, but I found a pair at www.absolute-snow.co.uk ; green only. So I bought them while they are still available
But there is a better choice in the smaller sizes from several suppliers; just Search Google

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 14:03:10, 11/02/19 »
My suggestion for anyone else interested, as the OP has bought something already, is to look at 'thermal socks' on Amazon or eBay.
I was given a pair for Xmas a few years ago, which are synthetic material knitted outsides and the insides like thick, very soft polar fleece. I only wear them two or three times a year at home on extremely cold days.
They do keep your feet lovely and warm, so they would be ideal for what the OP had in mind. My only criticism (apart from the cheapskate only giving me one pair, when I now see they're available in packs of four) is that they're a wee bit on the short side, they could do with being a couple of inches longer.

zuludog

« Reply #4 on: 14:58:24, 11/02/19 »
Thanks Fernman, I didn't think of Searching for 'thermal socks', but I've just done that and there is quite a selection

As I mentioned, I bought the Nordisk down shoes as my size was selling out rapidly, but I could still get some thermal socks as well

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy