Author Topic: One Single Day Walk. Which would you choose?  (Read 4463 times)

windyrigg

• Veteran Member
Re: One Single Day Walk. Which would you choose?
« Reply #30 on: 16:26:51, 03/12/20 »
Great walk One F! I agree there isn't enough underground hill walking  ;)
I had digs in Clapham for work over a number of years, the walk over to Austwick was a favourite.

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 16:41:40, 03/12/20 »

I almost choose that one myself.  I am thinking of doing it again at the weekend, but perhaps I should leave it as a happy memory, as the last time I walked it was in Perfect winter conditions.

Thats a cracker...like a moonscape.
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 08:20:03, 11/12/20 »
Some great walks here - particularly like Ridge's High Stile/Buttermere route and around Brotherswater, but I am struggling to pick one of my own - so many options.
For me, a stand out walk should have a lot of variety packed in, say a rising traverse through woodland, before breaking out into a high valley, up on to the tops via a ridge for a good high level promenade, then a descent down a lonely valley and finish along the shores of a lake, preferably to a pub!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 08:38:38, 11/12/20 »
...For me, a stand out walk should have a lot of variety packed in, say a rising traverse through woodland, before breaking out into a high valley, up on to the tops via a ridge for a good high level promenade, then a descent down a lonely valley and finish along the shores of a lake...

As I read your description, a walk we did last year immediately came to mind: the Brecon Beacons Horseshoe from Cwm Gwdi to the north (although I don't recall a lake).

Having said that, as excellent a walk as it was, I wouldn't choose to do it again, simply because I think the first time is usually by far the best and there are so many other walks still to do.  :)
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

Squacco

« Reply #34 on: 20:34:38, 29/03/21 »
This walk is mentioned in a well known walking magazine as one of the top ten bucket list walks in the UK. It may be very busy being very near Sheffield but has a railway station handy for the start of the walk which you can make as long as 15 to 20 miles  or as little as  9 or 10 miles ..Starting from Edale in Derbyshire follow the Pennine Way to Jacobs Ladder across beautiful scenery and green meadows , then up the stairway of Jacobs ladder  onto the large Kinder Scout plateau where the mostly paved paths lead through the magnificent lost world unique scenery of the rock formations on the central area of the plateau . You could then compass read your way to Kinder Downfall then follow the plateau perimeter coming down somewhere such as  Ringing Roger back to Edale village .Great walk, good weather preferred with no mist .Good walk for beginners where the route down via Grindslow Knoll is the easiest way back down to the village

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 22:03:58, 29/03/21 »
If I had an unlimited choice of the walks I had done, it would not be a UK walk.  Probably one from the Pyrenees or Austria.  If it was confined to the UK, I have had most fun in the North Pennines or the area of the Dales north of Swaldale.
Solvitur Ambulando

vizzavona

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 09:05:29, 30/03/21 »
So many very fine day walks all over the British Isles.
In Scotland the traverse of the Two Buachaille Etives, Mor and Beag are a very fine day out via the scramble up Curved Ridge onto Stob Dearg and out to Stob na Broige. After descending into the Lairig Gartain to reach Stob Dubh and Stob Coire Raineach.
In Europe probably the island of Corsica where walking and camping come together for a fine holiday.
Can't quite forget the days spent in Corsica on the GR20.  The stage between Manganu and Petra Piana that takes a grand wander over the high terrain with three small lochans below. Not the most technical part of the entire traverse but perhaps the most memorable so much so that I had to return to walk the route in the reverse direction.

Eyelet

« Reply #37 on: 18:23:28, 30/03/21 »
If we are going to include scrambling routes, then my choice has to be the East-West traverse of Suilven in the NW Highlands, starting from the SE end of Cam Loch and taking the nose of Meall Meadhonach direct then down to the bealach, up to the summit Caisteal Liath and back, then the long walk out to the Lochinver passing Suilag bothy. I have done it a few times now (always in May) and it is an incomparable day to add to your tick list. If you aren't a scrambler, just go up and down via the path to the bealach. That area of Sutherland is just magic and has drawn me back time after time.

vizzavona

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 09:34:23, 31/03/21 »
Hello....Well that is a very fair day out in the hills and afterwards a walk down to Lochinver. Maybe you had a connection with some sort of transport to finish off the day?  ;)  Have not been into Suilven from the A835 road in fact just a visit with my family to reach Suilven and Canisp via the Bothy at Suileag.
So many good days out in hills to be had on these islands that fall into perhaps several categories. I guess that it depends on the day and who your companions are and where the options can be matched to the wellbeing of who you are out with.
I realise that much of the Cuillin days out and probably the very fine day out between Belig and Bla Bheinn are outside of what was intended by the author of this Topic. :)      

Eyelet

« Reply #39 on: 17:30:32, 31/03/21 »
Yes we did have a car waiting for us in Lochinver each time! It is a very fine approach as your objective is drawing you towards it all the time. It looks impregnable, but once you get your hands on the rock, it is much easier than it looks. You are right about the many great days to be had in the Cuillin, Bla Bheinn - Clach Glas traverse, Pinnacle Ridge on Sgurr nan Gillean, the Cioch, then all of the great days out in Torridon such An Teallach, Liathach,  Beinn Eighe etc etc. Many of these deserve to be saved for good weather, rather than having a day in the clag just to tick them off. The Corbetts and other hills in that corner of Scotland are also well worth doing as I am sure you will agree.

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 20:51:48, 31/03/21 »
My favourite day walk in the Lake District was a circular from Great Langdale to Scafell Pike.  Only done it the once.

The route is ODG Hotel, Mickleden, Rossett Pass, Angle Tarn, Esk Hause, Sprinkling Tarn, Sty Head, Corridor Route, Piers Gill, Lingmell Col, Scafell Pike, Broad Crag, Great End, Esk Hause, then either retrace one's steps down to Mickleden or extend the day by returning over Esk Pike and Bowfell, to Three Tarns and The Band.
Route is  13.5 miles,  5,282 feet of ascent, took us about 8 hours.

-Dave-'sTrip Report is here:

https://allthegearbutnoidea.blogspot.com/2019/07/scafell-pike-from-great-langdale.html
« Last Edit: 09:37:20, 01/04/21 by Skip »
Skip

Eyelet

« Reply #41 on: 22:50:23, 31/03/21 »
One of my favourite Lakes walks is the ascent of Scafell Pike and Scafell via the length of Eskdale which I have done four times over recent years. It is much quieter than routes from Borrowdale or Wasdale to the Scafells with very diverse scenery and both scrambling or walking options. Plenty of wild camping around the Great Moss area too.

The route is Whahouse Bridge, then follow the W bank of the Esk past Cam Spout Crag, then the long scramble up Ill Crags (or take the path up to Esk Hause), Broad Crag, Scafell Pike, Mickledore, then either the Broad Stand scramble (or the Lord's Rake path) to Scafell, then return via Slight Side - about 24km, 1500m ascent and 8 hrs ... followed by a refreshing pint in the Woolpack Inn down the road.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 12:26:56, 01/04/21 »
Carnedd Llewelyn from Gerlan, everytime.
Following the ridge past Drosgl, Bera Bach and Yr Aryg, never fails to impress, and when you turn right onwards, towards Foel Grach.

This has to be my favorite walk, that's easily achievable in a day.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 12:43:31, 01/04/21 »
One of my favourite Lakes walks is the ascent of Scafell Pike and Scafell via the length of Eskdale which I have done four times over recent years. It is much quieter than routes from Borrowdale or Wasdale to the Scafells with very diverse scenery and both scrambling or walking options. Plenty of wild camping around the Great Moss area too.

The route is Whahouse Bridge, then follow the W bank of the Esk past Cam Spout Crag, then the long scramble up Ill Crags (or take the path up to Esk Hause), Broad Crag, Scafell Pike, Mickledore, then either the Broad Stand scramble (or the Lord's Rake path) to Scafell, then return via Slight Side - about 24km, 1500m ascent and 8 hrs ... followed by a refreshing pint in the Woolpack Inn down the road.

Nice - something similar is on my 'to do' list - but I'm not sure that Broad Stand should be described as a scramble - I'll certainly be avoiding it.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Eyelet

« Reply #44 on: 12:56:57, 01/04/21 »

Nice - something similar is on my 'to do' list - but I'm not sure that Broad Stand should be described as a scramble - I'll certainly be avoiding it.

It is worth going through the "Fat Mans Agony" up to the foot of the pitch - it is often rigged with a temporary handline by parties supporting the Bob Graham Round which makes it much easier. Also plenty of people rope up on it (I have too) and are happy to provide a top rope for additional parties.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy