Author Topic: Bivvy bag recommendations  (Read 1185 times)

Ward87

Bivvy bag recommendations
« on: 14:49:40, 07/03/20 »
Looking at a light weight camping set up for a night or two in the hills.
I have my eye on a few  options and I'm interested in hearing if anyone has any experience of using them?
-Alpkits Hunka and Hunka xl
-Snugpak Bivvy and SF bivvy
These options are within my price range of about £40 to £80 and are reflectively lightweight.

Any reviews people have or alternatives they can also recommend would be very much appreciated 😊

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Bivvy bag recommendations
« Reply #1 on: 17:00:06, 07/03/20 »
I've heard good things said about the Hunka, but have no experience of them myself. I'm sure others will be along who have.

PS  -welcome to the forum  :)
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 18:25:09, 07/03/20 »
Have a Hunka XL. Wanted something cheap and cheerful for rain protection when tarp camping as well as snow hole use and alpine bivvying. To be fair it's been good at that and I won't mind when I break it as it isn't that spendy.

It's quite grim when used by itself in UK conditions though.  The head does cinch to reduce the space open to the air but you'll need to lean on one side to avoid getting damp. For UK conditions I'd always bring a tarp unless I really want to lay and watch the stars on a clear night. 

Would suggest DD Tarps.

RMR

« Reply #3 on: 06:43:04, 09/03/20 »
I also use the Hunka XL Bivi with a DD Hammocks Tarp 3x3. The tarp provides lots of room for one person and comes with a video showing configurations. I set mine so that I can use a fold up stool inside when cooking in the entrance. Now too old to be crawling in & out of a one person tent.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 08:00:34, 09/03/20 »
I also use the Hunka XL Bivi with a DD Hammocks Tarp 3x3. The tarp provides lots of room for one person and comes with a video showing configurations. I set mine so that I can use a fold up stool inside when cooking in the entrance. Now too old to be crawling in & out of a one person tent.

Welcome to the forum, RMR.

Patrick1

« Reply #5 on: 11:37:29, 09/03/20 »

It's quite grim when used by itself in UK conditions though.  The head does cinch to reduce the space open to the air but you'll need to lean on one side to avoid getting damp. For UK conditions I'd always bring a tarp unless I really want to lay and watch the stars on a clear night. 

I've a bivvy bag bought about 20 years ago that is side entry, with the upper fabric extending over the entrance, effectively like a very small tarp. The entrance itself has a mesh screen, so you're protected both from rain and midges. See the picture below.

Its served me well on a number of occasions. The only downside is it weighs about a kilo, and these days I can sleep in a fullsize tent for that weight, so it gets little use. I don't know if any modern manufacturer makes something similar with lighter fabric? I think its a good design, and avoids the need for a supplementary tarp, which I'd have thought was more or less essential with the "sleeping-bag cover" designs unless there's no chance of rain at all - in which case you didn't really need the bivvy bag in the first place!

lightweightmick

« Reply #6 on: 00:00:02, 10/03/20 »

Any reviews people have or alternatives they can also recommend would be very much appreciated 😊
I've used the Hunka - good 'entry level' bag - it'll do the job.

I started with just a RAB sleeping bag cover and got a Hunka as replacement when I realised the sealing tape on the RAB had come away and I got wet feet with a down bag - not best combination...

If you're not used to bivvying you might want to read Ronald Turnbull's 'Book of the Bivvy' before venturing out...
Use a smiley ...you know it makes sense

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 07:34:25, 10/03/20 »
Hmm - down and water not a good combination, as I found out to my cost on my first ever camping trip.

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 09:08:42, 10/03/20 »
Hmm - down and water not a good combination, as I found out to my cost on my first ever camping trip.
Down makes me wheeze.  Best avoided at all costs.

I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 19:36:47, 06/04/20 »
I use a bivvy when I have to but my tent packs smaller than my bivvy!
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 20:47:45, 06/04/20 »
I use an Alpkit Hunka, normal size, I keep wondering if I would do better with the larger size but haven't decided yet?

I had my Hunka modified, just couldn't get on with it as it was, I'm no good at wriggling in and out, so a friend of my wife fitted a 4' waterproof zip along one side, now its transformed, so much easier to get in and out of and so much more usable. I tried putting my Thermarest Prolight mattress inside the Hunka but not very satisfactory, so now have it under me, much better.

I also carry an Alpkit 3.5 tarp with me, plus a 6' x 4' groundsheet as well.  I used to erect the Tarp as an open pyramid, but recently I haven't bothered. I've now had two nights where I've just put my rucksack down lengthwise on its back, tucked one end of the Tarp under it (the furthest away point from my head) and kept it rolled up and ready should the weather deteriorate. I haven't had to use it yet but my plan is to grab at it behind my head and roll it over the top of me. I'll then just use two pegs to pin it close to me, I only need it to cover my head and torso. I haven't perfected the idea yet but if it works fine I may stick with it, but if not I'll just go back to erecting a pyramid tarp again.

I want to try this out because for me the Hunka is great for stealth camping, very good when I leave a pub at night and don't want to walk very far in order to sleep.

I also own a Snugpack Stratosphere, which I've only used three times, It's OK and it's well made and it has a raised area for my head but I also took the Tarp with me each time as well. When I weigh the Stratosphere, the Tarp, and the groundsheet together its just as heavy as my tent. If I get the chance this year I'll try to sell it.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy