Author Topic: Highland vegan walkers  (Read 3007 times)

harleymarshall8

Highland vegan walkers
« on: 15:20:20, 13/02/18 »

I am looking for people to answer a couple of questions about access to vegan foods in the Scottish Highlands.
I am doing a study into how many people would be interested in a vegan restaurant in the Scottish highlands.  Would be really grateful if you could answer a couple of questions please. I am not trying to sell anything or promote any business, website, Facebook page or blog.  Thank you very much.
1 - Are you a vegan or interested in vegan food?
2 - Do you feel vegans are adequately provided for in the highlands?
3 - Would you entertain eating in a vegan restaurant or cafe based in one of the popular highland destinations?

jimbob

• Veteran Member
Re: Highland vegan walkers
« Reply #1 on: 15:31:56, 13/02/18 »
1a No
1b It is food after all.I am interested in food

2 Veganism is a personal lifestyle choice therefore those who adopt such lifestyles know the drawbacks.  Most reasonable cafes and restaurants cater for vegans, even if a wee bit  of explanation is required. The more  people who explain rather than complain would lead to more choice bring available.

3 As long as they serve palatable food when I need it at a price I can afford then yes.

Have you noticed how many vegan walkers use leather boots and merino base layers, very few fashion vegans understand their fashion fad.
Too little, too late, too bad......

harleymarshall8

« Reply #2 on: 15:36:01, 13/02/18 »
Thanks Jimbo much appreciated feedback. Kind regards lee

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 15:52:47, 13/02/18 »
I'm not a vegan and, though I may well choose a vegetarian meal, if I am going to eat out I probably want meat options. So;

1 No
2 I don't know as I have no idea how many vegans go to the Highlands but they are less than 1% of the UK population and I imagine most menus have a higher vegan meal percentage than that.
3 Not if there was a comparable non-vegan one.

daisy+dogs

« Reply #4 on: 16:08:04, 13/02/18 »
1. I am not a vegan but I am a vegetarian who limits my dairy intake.
2. I have never been to the highlands, but certainly plan on going one day.
3. I would choose a vegetarian/vegan restaraunt/cafe over anything else, provided that it is reasonably priced, as these often have more options for me and I can feel safe eating there with the knowledge that no meat is served on the premises. Before I plan a trip, I normally look at options available in the area for eating and a vegan restaraunt/cafe may draw me to a place.

harleymarshall8

« Reply #5 on: 16:09:58, 13/02/18 »
Thanks very much ridge and daisy+dogs much appreciated lee

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 16:21:32, 13/02/18 »
1 - No, Yes. I'm a veggie but have no plans to take it further.

2 - No idea, although I remember on the West Highland Way a couple of years back a hotel served vegan food.

3 - Yes

Also for those who walk from Scotland to England. A pub in Alston serves vegan food, can't remember the name but on the main road just before cars turn right uphill.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 17:00:25, 13/02/18 »
1. Not vegan but like veg.
2. Don't know if vegans are adequately catered for in the Highlands. It's a big area so though I have family there - one of whom is veggie  - can't speak for the whole of the highlands.
3. Certainly would eat in a vegan cafe.restaurant anywhere

In fact

Please open one in EXETER. I have vegan friends here and I haven't been able to locate one in Devon even!
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 17:12:49, 13/02/18 »
1) Neither vegan nor vegetarian - I eat fish/seafood but don't eat meat generally as I've simply never enjoyed it, so I do eat a lot of vegetarian food. I would happily choose a vegan dish from a menu or cook one at home if it appealed to me.

2) Never hiked in Scotland unfortunately so I can't answer that, sorry.

3) I'd happily go to a vegan restaurant and have done, because I know (as someone who doesn't like meat) that I'd have a lot of choice.

Good luck with your research.  O0

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 17:22:14, 13/02/18 »

Please open one in EXETER. I have vegan friends here and I haven't been able to locate one in Devon even!
There are a few in Devon

http://www.puritypetalcafe.co.uk/

http://www.samphirebrasserie.com/

These people don't look like they have a website but are in Exeter
http://www.veganfoodandliving.com/vegan-cafe-opens-exeter-city-centre/

vizzavona

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 17:55:11, 13/02/18 »
I live in the Scottish Highlands. Our folks are mainly vegetarian by choice and do know of several places in the highlands where very good vegetarian food can be had. Can't think of any vegan places to eat but then we don't eat out very often.
The areas for walking folks are many throughout the Highlands but I would say that, from what I have seen and been made aware of, the food sold in mainly of standard food that you will find in most of the Island.
To eat in the many of the Restaurants with very good food requires a well filled wallet.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 18:04:19, 13/02/18 »
1. No
2. Don't know
3. Definitely not.

I am a proxy-vegeterian.
Solvitur Ambulando

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 18:16:30, 13/02/18 »

1. No, but have vegetarian family members and am not very carnivorous.
2. The Highlands are improving for veggies, but suspect there isn't much for vegans.  In the Islands veggie options are pretty much macaroni cheese, and something else if you are lucky, though again, it's better than it was 5 years ago.  I think a lot of places would look a bit blank if you asked about vegan food.
3. I have eaten in vegan restaurants in Glasgow and in England.  I think a restaurant might struggle in the highlands if it was purely vegan, though I would certainly try it.  But in 5 years time, who knows?

vizzavona

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 18:34:17, 13/02/18 »
For the person making the inquiry.
Maybe if you put your question to the Walkhighlands Forum I think that they have in excess of 100 K. members who are into walking.  I sure that many of them will have more knowledge of Vegan places to eat.

sparnel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 18:42:23, 13/02/18 »
There is  a vegan restaurant in Fort William, The Wild Cat cafe, opened about a month ago. No meat products sold there.
Wife & daughter love it! Haven't been in myself yet.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy