Author Topic: Brecons weekender suggestions?  (Read 4066 times)

phil1960

• Veteran Member
Re: Brecons weekender suggestions?
« Reply #15 on: 06:18:07, 23/01/18 »
Not having ventured in the Beacons for some considerable time, roughly twelve years, i was wondering how busy the Carmarthen Vans have become.
When i lived in Cardiff, and used to drive on the Craig Y Nos A4067 to Llandovery road, which was about twice a month,  i rarely saw any walkers in this area of the National Park.

With news that the main Beacons have become very busy, far busier than twenty or so years ago, is it the same for the rest of the National Park,  or can one still find solitude if one tries.
You can still find it yes, by going off path a little. The fans are nowhere near as busy as the central Beacons, but the main footpaths, especially those doing the circuit around Fan Foel and Picws Du do see regular footfall.
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 09:57:22, 23/01/18 »
Not having ventured in the Beacons for some considerable time, roughly twelve years, i was wondering how busy the Carmarthen Vans have become.
When i lived in Cardiff, and used to drive on the Craig Y Nos A4067 to Llandovery road, which was about twice a month,  i rarely saw any walkers in this area of the National Park.

With news that the main Beacons have become very busy, far busier than twenty or so years ago, is it the same for the rest of the National Park,  or can one still find solitude if one tries.

I'd be interested to know too. I do know that other parts are much quieter from experience. My last trip to the Black Mountains - there were people on the first hill or two but after that, it was pretty quiet.

For solitude I find myself going back to north Darmoor.

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 14:11:29, 23/01/18 »
Try mid Wales, only modest mountains but a hillwalkers paradise for solitude. The hills around Drygan Fawr, Carn Hyddgen and the Pumlumon range just as examples.

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 15:11:19, 23/01/18 »
Try mid Wales, only modest mountains but a hillwalkers paradise for solitude. The hills around Drygan Fawr, Carn Hyddgen and the Pumlumon range just as examples.

Nice one - not familiar with that area as it doesn't show up as a national park which is what I tend to gravitate to when browsing for locations. But that area looks interesting on the maps.

Tin

« Reply #19 on: 16:34:37, 23/01/18 »

Nice one - not familiar with that area as it doesn't show up as a national park which is what I tend to gravitate to when browsing for locations. But that area looks interesting on the maps.

That's why it's quiet, as most people head for the national parks. It's true that there are only modest peaks here but as phil1960 says it's great if you want solitude.

« Last Edit: 20:47:36, 23/01/18 by Tin »

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 07:09:27, 24/01/18 »
“Sigh” like the pic and need to get back there.

Tin

« Reply #21 on: 07:49:19, 24/01/18 »
“Sigh” like the pic and need to get back there.

My partner's son took that pic, he gets summit fever when he sees a trig point and runs ahead (I wasn't really lagging behind ;) ). This was back in April 2015 but it hasn't got any busier there.

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 08:43:04, 24/01/18 »

My partner's son took that pic, he gets summit fever when he sees a trig point and runs ahead (I wasn't really lagging behind ;) ). This was back in April 2015 but it hasn't got any busier there.
it’s been probably almost a year since I was thereabouts, be back very soon though

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 12:35:10, 28/01/18 »
it’s been probably almost a year since I was thereabouts, be back very soon though

Ever wild camped around there?

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 13:04:32, 28/01/18 »

Ever wild camped around there?
No Neil not camped, walked by plenty of spots that would probably be ideal though, but choose carefully there are lots of boggy areas, same as everywhere else I guess.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy