Author Topic: Light weight boots with large toe box  (Read 3412 times)

wobblyknees

Light weight boots with large toe box
« on: 23:15:09, 17/05/19 »
I'm going to walk part of the Camino in a few weeks time. Usually for walks of this type I use lightweight boots, either my Berghaus GTX Trek or Lowa Renegade. I want to wear shorts but my skin is very sensitive to UV rays. To overcome this I wear thin knee high socks inside my walking socks inside the boots. Both boots are a perfect fit with just my normal walking socks, but the extra pair of socks is making my toes cramped and sore.
Can anybody recommend a boot similar to the above boots but with a large toe box?

Ronin83

Re: Light weight boots with large toe box
« Reply #1 on: 23:53:54, 17/05/19 »
If money ain't an issue, look at altra. They do some boot versions. Wide toe box foot shape design, cushioned, but zero drop(no heel to toe height difference).

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 00:30:52, 18/05/19 »
If you are happy with your normal boots otherwise,  then why not just get them half a size larger?
So then would your big  worry be protecting your skin between knee and the hem of your shorts????????
Too little, too late, too bad......

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 05:04:14, 18/05/19 »
Think you might be over-complicating the problem. Here's a couple of simple and cheap options which don't involve buying expensive new boots!  ;)

Use a slightly thinner normal walking sock.

My preferred solution is even cheaper. Simply cut the foot part off your thin knee high socks and tuck the bottom inside the top of your normal walking socks so there's no extra sock taking up room inside your boot at all.

No one but you will ever know.  ;D     

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 08:15:53, 18/05/19 »

My preferred solution is even cheaper. Simply cut the foot part off your thin knee high socks and tuck the bottom inside the top of your normal walking socks so there's no extra sock taking up room inside your boot at all.
  ;D     

"Necessity, the Mother of all invention"

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 08:16:08, 18/05/19 »

Alternatively, consider wearing some of those trousers that can convert into shorts. You've then got the best of both worlds. Trousers also give protection against biting insects and nettles as well as UV, and in my experience the worst place for sunburn is the top of the calf muscle, just below the knee, an area that your longer socks might not cover - very painful!

I wouldn't go changing your boots - a bit of a gamble with just a few weeks to go, and you would have plenty of opportunity to repent on the Camino if you got it wrong!.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 08:16:38, 18/05/19 »
In that part of the world I wore lightweight trousers rather than shorts. Just as cool and you get UV protection.
Solvitur Ambulando

zuludog

« Reply #7 on: 08:24:33, 18/05/19 »
I have Merrell MOAB trail shoes, and another pair of Merrell trail shoes, but I've forgotten the model name
They both fit me well with plenty of room around the toes, yet still give support and grip
Merrell do lightweight boots as well as trail shoes, so you could try those

For years I always wore boots for hiking, but then I tried trail shoes, and was very impressed; now I wear trail shoes most of the time
So if you want lightweight footwear, perhaps you could try trail shoes?

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 08:26:44, 18/05/19 »
I have some Merrell Moab boots. They have a wide toe box and are lightweight and comfortable. However, I would echo the cautions re changing to new boots just before a long expedition. You might find yourself worse off.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 16:02:37, 18/05/19 »

I've no idea if they're classed as lightweight or similar but Mendl do a Comfort Fit range which has a larger toe-box.

I'm guessing you've already ruled out using sun block on your legs ...  :-\

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 18:48:42, 18/05/19 »

Negative reply here -  in this situation don't go for Inov8 Roclites they are quite narrow and will not give you extra toe room.

Otherwise, I love them for my fairly narrowfeet and long flattish toes
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 19:11:34, 18/05/19 »
I've no idea if they're classed as lightweight or similar but Mendl do a Comfort Fit range which has a larger toe-box.

I'll second that - the only brand that have a 'big enough' toe-box to be comfortable over my Bunion.

I went for the Meindl Meran.

WILDWALKINGUK

« Reply #12 on: 10:46:33, 19/05/19 »
Hello
I find the Inov8 boots vary in width depending on the model. the Roclite 325s suit thin feet but earlier this year, I walked the whole length of the Uk (1200miles) in a pair of Inov8 Roclite 345s and they were fine for wider feet.
For real toe width, the Lone Peak 4.0 are massive with too much space for me.
As for socks, my Darn Tough socks were by far the best of any socks I have ever used. Fairly thin and lasted the whole walk.
Good advice above, to keep to boots you know and change sock. But I do find my toes spread on long walks so if the boots are a bit tight now they will probably cause issues on longer walks.
With my Inov8 boots I go up half a size for everyday use and use boots at least 1 whole size bigger on longer walks or winter when wearing thicker socks.
Best of luck
Mark

wobblyknees

« Reply #13 on: 20:22:34, 19/05/19 »
Thanks for all the replies and the excellent advice.

Shortly after my original post, the same solution as advocated by kinkyboots above ocurred to me - cut off the foot part or part thereof of the high sock. A simple cost effective solution.
I agree also that buying new boots at this late stage is a bit of a gamble.
When the time does come to change the boots, I will keep your recommendations in mind.

Thanks again.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 13:02:14, 20/05/19 »
Personally, I would have a serious look at a pair of Keen Targhee boots. I had a pair once, they were cheapish, but so very comfortable, ideal for walking, especially in the heat and gravelly areas of France and Spain. I'd like to write that I 'floated as I walked' but I'd be pushing it with that description! They have a large and well-padded toe area, kick a rock and you will hardly notice. They failed for me because my pair leaked the first time it rained! I sent them back, bought a pair of Salomon Quest's and they leaked as well. So I sent them back and bought a leather boot again. They leaked after two years use and I'm now wearing a pair of Salomon Quests, also very comfortable but a narrower fit and they experienced rain for the first time yesterday. They didn't leak!

You can have a read about the Keen Targhee's on www.outdoorgearlab.com.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy