Author Topic: Advice on boots and waterproofs needed - please  (Read 3755 times)

chrism

I'm writing to ask for some advice over walking boots please.

I am off to North Wales for a week of reasonably serious walking in July. The itinerary for the weeks walking includes Snowdon - Watkin paths; pig track; Tryfan (via an easy route I am assured); and some of the Glyders Plateau; Carnedd Llewellyn etc etc.

The boots I currently own are about 10 years old; they are made by San Marco and are leather with vibram soles. In their lifetime they have had a couple of reasonably serious weeks wear in Lake District, and then the last few years its mostly been across muddy fields, or along pebbly beaches where they have been worn - and also durinng a 4 month period when I did some fairly heavy landscaping in the back garden I wore them. So in some respects the soles are not heavily worn at all, but the uppers have got some gouges and lumps out of them.

I have heard a lot of comments and talk that boots which flex easily are not suitable for walking up mountains etc. This pair will flex and bend quite easily. If I hold the heel in one hand and the toe in the other I can bend them in the middle so that the toe of the boot bends back on itself and touches the tongue/cuff and lacing area. Is this right? And OK for what I am going to do in them this year, or should I look for a new boot.

If I ought to get a new boot, I was thinking of going for a fabric one with goretex liner - as I currently live most of the time in a pair of Asolo Meso trainers which have been so blissfully comfortable since the day I put them on - and they even now will still not flex or bend in the middle like the leather boots do.

As for waterproofs to carry in my rucksac - mine are Berghaus and were bought in 1985 when Goretex and breathable fabrics were not common. This jacket of mine was revolutionary back then as it had a full length zip!. I am ideally looking for something new that will pack up small, and not cost a fortune yet be waterproof and breathable - if it is needed! I had heard about the REgatta range of jacket and trousers that pack away in to a pouch and the cost of the jacket is circa £20-£25. Does anyone have any views on those or  can anyone suggest and recommend anything else to consider please.

My rucsac is a Berghaus 25litre model - again bought in 1985 and it is still in good order - so I was not intending to replace that. It has padded adjustable straps for shoulders and a waist strap, plus pockets on sides and inside the lid - so I presume that is still accetable and ok to use.

However any advice on any of the above would be appreciated - thanks for reading

marmot

Re: Advice on boots and waterproofs needed - please
« Reply #1 on: 15:03:43, 09/01/07 »
Your boots do sound a bit floppy with probably not that much shock absorption / protection, but it's really up to you – what you're comfortable with or want to put up with.  A rigid 3 / 4 season boot may be a bit too stiff for your taste, I would maybe try a 3 season, especially as you'd like fabric - they're not too rigid and are pretty light, certainly ok for long summer walks and easy scrambling.
I wouldn't be too anti-leather though – newer ones are more comfortable than they used to be and require less breaking in,  I use Scarpa SLs (3 / 4 season leather), these have just been updated with a bit more give and being lighter, but there might be some of the older ones still about which could be had for a bargain.  Meindl also make good boots.
As for waterproofs I've always made do with cheapish trousers, after all your legs don't sweat as much as your top half, but I use a Goretex shell jacket. I have a couple of friends who use Regattas and are quite pleased with them.  I suppose it all depends on how much you want to pay against performance / comfort and how much you're going to use them.  Maybe try Berghaus Paclite though, if you want to pay that much….?
I'm sure the rucksack will be ok for summer gear, maybe a bit small for winter kit etc….?
I'm a big fan of Berghaus rucksacs – well made, good fit, not too expensive.

I wouldn't be too worried about the north ridge of Tryfan – no need for scrambling at all (well, almost) if you don't want it, Bristly Ridge onto Glyder Fach is trickier, but always avoidable

chrism

« Reply #2 on: 18:35:29, 09/01/07 »
Thanks marmot for your reply. 

The other thought I had come up with re my boots was to just get myself a new set of insoles - say some of those sorbothane ones.  I got a similar type of thing to put in my ski boots last year - and that has given them another 2-3 years lease of life too. 

I did infact go into a branch of Ellis Brighams today, and tried on virtually every boot they had, but nothing they had felt  right - if they were wide enough they were way way too long in the foot, if they were just right in the length of foot they were far too tight!   Admittedly they did not have the widest range of manufacturers in there, but at least I know I cant get into any of the Meindl or  Scarpa and something else which the name escapes me of..  and they have 2-3 boots in each of those 3 manufacturers that I tried.  .

marmot

« Reply #3 on: 23:43:44, 09/01/07 »
The insoles thing sounds good, I don't know much about them or the make you refer to.  I suppose the main thing is that your existing boots still have good grips.
I also don't know the Ellis Brighams shops, I'm lucky in that I have Keswick and Ambleside quite nearby, so I'm pretty much spoiled for choice, maybe you could try shops in Llanberis or somewhere while you're over there...?
You could maybe try Raichle boots.
Some snippets from Trail Magazine equipment guides here:  http://www.spikeoutdoors.co.uk/trail_equipment_guides.php

M J B

« Reply #4 on: 22:08:23, 11/01/07 »
I bought some Raichle boots at the start of last year but i found the soles too stiff. (i have wide feet and they fit really well) I then bought a pair of brasher hill masters, they seem ok but not sure how long they will last me.

I use regatta waterproof trousers and they seem to do the job and they are cheap as chips. I have a rab jacket which cost a bomb but it is very very good.

I have a 25 l Berghaus rucksack and its really good, i also have a lowe alpine 65l and thats is about 2kgs on its own. I never really took much notice of this when it was empty in the shop oops bit of a mistake. The weight soon adds up!

Snowman

« Reply #5 on: 11:53:43, 13/02/07 »
A late reply, but I'd say the prime requirement for the uppers of your boots when hillwalking is that they will protect your feet from rocks.    I often used Salomon's, which are great for just about everything but I found out myself on the Glyders that the uppers were not that protective.

In fact the point made before regarding your attitude towards leather boots is very valid, because fabric boots are likely to offer less protection than those you already have.    You also mentioned Carnedd Llewellyn, which, like the Glyders, has a very rocky approach.

My thought on Regatta jackets is that they are superb value for money.    I actually use a Lowe Alpine for serious multi day trekking, but for days out in the mountains my personal opinion is that they are an excellent buy.     It's always kept me dry, it''s light, it has a map pocket that for once is large enough to hold a map, it's long enough to keep my bum dry as well.    I paid £45 for mine, so it's not really suprising that the hood is only functional rather than perfect, but then the same can be said of jackets costing a lot more.

Have fun anyway, S.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy