Author Topic: Walking injuries  (Read 8683 times)

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
Re: Walking injuries
« Reply #45 on: 19:40:59, 26/09/20 »
Good to hear Mike, hope your body keeps improving.

After about ten days I've progressed to being able to get me socks on!
Thanks Dodgylegs. I hope you will be out and about soon. Sometimes I struggle with socks and shoes, but once I get moving my back can loosen up a bit.

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #46 on: 21:13:06, 26/09/20 »
Thanks Dodgylegs. I hope you will be out and about soon. Sometimes I struggle with socks and shoes, but once I get moving my back can loosen up a bit.
Now I've managed to get socks on, I've also got into walking boots, so had a wee walk down to river through farmers fields then back home, not far but a start.
Didn't loosen up much, just got stiffer!

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #47 on: 14:53:03, 28/09/20 »
Today I had my second walk in three days. This time I was by myself and walked faster and further, managing just under 6.5 miles. I did struggle a bit to tie my boots and struggled a lot more at the end of the walk to bend down and take off my boots and socks. My back is now quite sore, but manageable.

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #48 on: 19:07:00, 30/09/20 »
You're doing a bit better than me Mike, just managed a steady 2.69 mile up on Hadrians Way, getting in and out of the car not easy.
Yesterday awoke with a sore/stiff shoulder and neck, on the same side as the back/hip problem. Oh no not more problems! Later in the day picked an apple off garden tree, washed it and first bite, a loud crack... only my jaw now! Gowd when will it all end!

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #49 on: 13:48:12, 10/10/20 »
Just 3 miles today around local roads in trainers. My back was sore and I had some numbness and discomfort in my outer quadriceps, plus some sciatica. This affected the use of my right leg while walking and caused a pronounced, but reasonably fast limp. I had to lead of the left leg, as it was difficult to move my right leg forward of my body. There was also some drop in my right foot, giving me a risk of tripping. I appear to have gone backwards over the last couple of weeks.

Like dodgylegs I also have shoulder and neck pain (left hand side) resulting originally from schoolboy rugby when the right hand side of the scrum collapsed and the left side did not. I have reinjured my shoulder a few times time and am left with ongoing problems.  A physio told me I have impingement syndrome, where my rotator cuff tendon catches on bone on gets trapped in a narrow gap.

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #50 on: 19:29:14, 10/10/20 »
Sorry to hear of your difficulties Mike. I've got some better news as everything is starting to work a bit better, thanks to Physio advice she has been marvellous. Problem I encounter after walking is during sleep when I'm awoken by leg pains, hamstrings. Spent a couple of days clearing out tomato plants from greenhouse and fitting bubblewrap... spent a couple of nights suffering! Advised to try and lengthen walks to see how things are, just back from 7 miler, what a struggle that was to get up banks to home... shattered!

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #51 on: 20:08:06, 10/10/20 »
Thanks Dodgylegs. One of the problems of injuries stopping walking is that fitness disappears quickly. It always seems to take much longer to build up again. I need to get back to my physio recommended exercises again. The problem is I had a bad reaction from some of them last time and that has put me off. I still dream of getting back to 20+ miles in the hills. I had been hoping for a second attempt on the Welsh 3000s, but that seems so far away at the moment.

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #52 on: 23:05:26, 10/10/20 »
One of the problems of injuries stopping walking is that fitness disappears quickly. It always seems to take much longer to build up again.
I'm certainly finding that out! 20+miles is much more than I've ever achieved! I wanted to walk over Cross Fell, so built up walks to see if I could do 16 - 17 miles... decided to do in two goes, first from Garrigill to just over top of Cross Fell, which I achieved 26th August 2019 feeling absolutely elated, as I not only achieved the longest distance I'd walked but felt great afterwards without any issues. Due to all the things that have occurred this year I cannot see any possibility of walking from Dufton to Cross Fell for quite some time. Maybe we'll both have to lessen our goals for a while, not a competition!  ;)

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #53 on: 14:05:40, 18/10/20 »
Despite being woken up early by the pain in my back, I managed a walk of just over 4 miles today, without any sciatica or limping. I felt like I could have walked further, but decided not to push it.

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #54 on: 14:48:14, 18/10/20 »
Good news Mike! Hope you're still feeling OK in the morning!

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #55 on: 14:58:53, 18/10/20 »
Three days ago I developed a niggling pain in my achilles tendon.  It came on slowly after about 6 miles and was quite painful by the end.  I wrapped it in ice for an hour as soon as I got home and rested it for a day but the next walk I only manged 3 miles and had to give up.  Ice helped the pain again but Ibuprofen gel does nothing for it. I can feel a localised swelling and it definitely does not like being walked on at present, which annoying as I am only 125 miles short of my target for the year.
Solvitur Ambulando

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #56 on: 15:31:06, 18/10/20 »
Good news Mike! Hope you're still feeling OK in the morning!
Thanks Dodgylegs. My back is a bit sore, but not as bad as it was when I first got up.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #57 on: 15:35:17, 18/10/20 »
Three days ago I developed a niggling pain in my achilles tendon.  It came on slowly after about 6 miles and was quite painful by the end.  I wrapped it in ice for an hour as soon as I got home and rested it for a day but the next walk I only manged 3 miles and had to give up.  Ice helped the pain again but Ibuprofen gel does nothing for it. I can feel a localised swelling and it definitely does not like being walked on at present, which annoying as I am only 125 miles short of my target for the year.
That is annoying. Unfortunately, the Achilles’ tendon does not like to be rushed. When I first injured mine when running, I tried just to cut down on the distance. That didn’t help and it just got worse. In the end I needed 6 months off running. A decade later I still get some soreness after walking. Make sure you give yours time to heal.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #58 on: 16:22:50, 18/10/20 »
I totally agree a long rest period is the only way!

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #59 on: 17:49:46, 18/10/20 »
I had quite a bit of physio on mine (massage and the magic electric pulsing machine) when it first flared up in 2016 - it worked mostly, but there was one patch of inflammation I could not get rid of.  I still get some pain, but manage it with ice after every proper walk - 20 minutes ice, then a shower, and then another 20 minutes - seems to keep it under control.  Still niggles occasionally, but nothing major.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy