Author Topic: 6'5' Stocky build  (Read 1430 times)

TravelsOfTheSolo

6'5' Stocky build
« on: 17:28:09, 30/06/19 »
Hi all,

Just waiting for my Hilleberg Tarra (which was acquired via this forum) to come through.

The next couple of things I want to purchase are waterproof trousers and coat. Any suggestions for clothing for the extra vertical amongst us?

Lastly, Scrapa Manta GTX boots have been recommended to me, what are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Owen

• Veteran Member
Re: 6'5' Stocky build
« Reply #1 on: 18:21:52, 30/06/19 »
Where are you going and what time of year? Mantra's are heavy winter boots.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:57:51, 30/06/19 »
We all have developed our own ways of solving such problems. For me, I rely on my Rab gaiters as my base item for keeping dry, and I then made a choice between waterproof trousers vs. poncho and gaiters vs. rain skirt and gaiters vs. a long waterproof single skin coat and gaiters.

I now have two choices one is to use my long waterproof coat and gaiters and two is to use my short waterproof coat, my rain skirt and gaiters.

Looking back on my purchases, I'm short, one of the problems with jackets for me was they too were short as well. In the end, I chose a Paramo, the only one on my list which properly covered my bottom.

Gadabout Bounder

« Reply #3 on: 23:44:31, 30/06/19 »
I'm 6'3'' and very broad.

Reading between the lines - Hilleberg Tarra tent & Scarpa Manta GTX boots, both serious bits of kit for four season use and with a reasonable price tag, even for the second hand tent.

Look at Rab Latok Alpine overtrousers, mine are if anything a little bit long so should fit you fine. Jacket for winter walking is a Mountain Equipment Lhotse.

These might be overkill but on my last outing to the Yorkshire Dales and a whole day of walking in the rain they never let me down.

There are cheaper options that I'm sure will serve you well.

My requirements were specific - winter walking @ high level & overnight camping, proven named brands that were tried & tested, reliable & with plenty of venting, pit vents, 3/4 length zips/multiway for the over-trousers.

Deluge over-trousers are rated on here but may not be long enough. Mine weren't long enough and I had to wear them low, in foul weather they would eventually wet out, maybe to do with their age or just pushing them too hard.

There is a plethora of 2/3/4 season choices between the two.

On all choices made most of my enjoyment is in the working out what is best for me.

Gunwharfman has found a waterproof set up to suit himself, mine is from my perspective.

Good luck.
'We've spilt the same blood in the same mud'

TravelsOfTheSolo

« Reply #4 on: 18:16:13, 01/07/19 »
Hello all,

Many thanks for your replies and advice.

I'm mainly going to the Scottish Highlands in winter, much prefer that season than summer.  :D

Thanks for the suggestion of Mountain Equipment, just what I was looking for. My requirements exactly - winter walking, at high level & overnight.

I'll give those sites a look

Thanks again.

Gadabout Bounder

« Reply #5 on: 18:52:45, 01/07/19 »
Where are you from TravelsofThe Solo?
'We've spilt the same blood in the same mud'

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 23:18:12, 01/07/19 »
Agree Mountain Equipment jackets are very good.  I wasted good money on cheaper jackets.  Now very happy to recommend ME.  I'm 6' 4"  and solid from the skull down.  ;)

TravelsOfTheSolo

« Reply #7 on: 17:06:28, 02/07/19 »
I'm coming from Cheshire, not far from the M62/M6 junction.

I think I'll definitely give the Mountain Equipment a go, sounds like just the ticket.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 19:40:59, 04/07/19 »
Hello again - my Mountain Equipment 'Lhotse' jacket is still going strong after 4 Orkney winters, through storm, horizontal rain, snow and occasionally sunshine, and has not let me down. I'm out every day whatever the weather, and must have worn the jacket a thousand times. I cannot speak highly enough of it, and would buy the same again without hesitation.

But do try one on before buying - I'm only 5'7" !

PS - hope that the Tarra lives up to your expectations  :) 

PPS - for serious winter use in the Highlands I would consider salopettes - no way is that spindrift finding it's way in!
« Last Edit: 20:04:04, 04/07/19 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy