Author Topic: What's Your Latest Walking Kit Purchase?  (Read 292298 times)

Bhod

• Veteran Member
Re: What's Your Latest Walking Kit Purchase?
« Reply #345 on: 06:35:15, 22/08/17 »
Pop top caravan, a Fleurette Tamaris 31 to be exact.  Not strictly for walking  as such but will enable me to head off to my intended walks the night before instead of having to get up at stupid o'clock on a Sunday morning, added bonus is that Samantha (wife) and the two idiot spaniels will be able to come to come and do some of the easier walks too.
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #346 on: 10:32:08, 24/08/17 »
A new Explorer OL17 Snowdon map for my forthcoming circuit around the massif.
Bought because my old one didn't show the restored Welsh Highland Railway which I'll be encountering on the western side.

Mildly disappointed to find that the mobile download offered on and inside the card cover is only for Android and iOS, and not for Wind-up Phones like mine; it's not made clear on the map, you have to go to the website to find out for sure. Good job I didn't buy the map specifically to get the download.
« Last Edit: 10:35:39, 24/08/17 by fernman »

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #347 on: 10:39:33, 24/08/17 »
The latest Explorer maps of my area, around Dyffryn and Cadair Idris.
I am currently exploring the history of the 18C Droving routes, in and around Harlech and Dolgellau regions.

The OS Explorer maps are an absolute must have, to learn about the areas ancient history, and to follow the Drovers route from Cwm Nantcol, all the way to Barmouth and beyond.

Without the trusty bit of paper, i would walk past ancient ruins, that have great significance, you simply do not know their there, without the aid of a map.

The Digital map is extremely popular, but receiving both my bits of paper from Cornwall, it was like opening Christmas pressies  early.

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #348 on: 18:41:51, 24/08/17 »
I've been on the hunt for a pair of super-lightweight summer boots for a while. Just got some Inov8 Roclite 325GTX to try out: http://amzn.to/2vMoqVw
Well, first impression was good. Very lightweight. Seemed well-made. Good treads and a reasonably solid sole (so shouldn't feel stones).
Tried them round the house. Very comfy and a good fit (I did go half a size up as recommended in reviews I'd read).
Tried them for a walk near the house. Very worrying pressure point on inner ankle. This is probably just me as I had this problem with school shoes when I was a child.
Wore them for their first proper walk a couple of days ago. Just a few hours in the Brecon Beacons. Luckily the pressure point didn't reappear, hopefully this was due to a different lacing I tried and will sty away. Very nice boots to wear for summer. Not convinced they'll be properly waterproof as they rely on GTX, but they're for summer use so it shouldn't matter too much (I still have other boots for harsh conditions). Best thing is, I can run in them while still having some ankle support. Perfect!
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #349 on: 09:44:41, 25/08/17 »
Bought an additional inflatable sleeping mat: https://www.decathlon.co.uk/forclaz-air-inflatable-camping-sleeping-mat-red-50cm-id_8298497.html

This is for the kids rather than me. I take one of the kids backpacking fairly often (they take turns, the lucky devils) and we both sleep in my small 2-man tent. My extra long extra wide Synmat takes up most of the floor. They've been making do with a Gelert 3/4 length but I've been getting complaints recently. Saw this in Decathlon and noticed it's pretty narrow so would fit the tent and at £30 for 550g of comfort seemed like a good idea. I does seem well made out of tough-looking fabric.

I really need to stop going into Decathlon with any means of spending on me. I cannot leave without coming away with stuff: camping gear, dartboards, tennis table set - I wouldn't be surprised if I become the owner of an inflatable kayak soon if I'm not careful.

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #350 on: 13:17:19, 17/12/17 »
Montane Super Terra Pants,   been after a pair for a while but held off, spotted today they had dropped in price on one of the online stores, headed down to GO and got them to price match +10% brought the price down to a less eye watering £94, fantastic price for a fantastic pair of winter trousers.
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #351 on: 14:01:14, 17/12/17 »
A Lowe Alpine warm the ears hat and a 2L fold up water bottle and a rain skirt from Alli Exprees, so cheap! I want the water bottle to complete my shower-anywhere system, especially when wild camping. I have the small shower head from Lifeventure so I am now complete, assuming I can find water on route of course.

MichaelUK

« Reply #352 on: 18:47:57, 17/12/17 »
Mountain Equipment Vulcan jacket. My xmas present to my self. Love it, so comfy and a great  fit. Im surprised how water resistant it is too!!! Also purchased some mini spikes. Pleased I did as our group walk on the 16th was on very frozen ground. Felt like a mountain goat. Wore them for 20 mile, quite comy too
« Last Edit: 18:53:46, 17/12/17 by MichaelUK »

walking pole

« Reply #353 on: 19:31:23, 17/12/17 »
Just ordered myself a zehpyros 1 man ep, so looking forward to testing it out hopefully before the new year

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #354 on: 20:31:59, 17/12/17 »
Got an UCO candle lantern for birthday present. Not the lightest thing but gives out a lovely warming glow on a cold night without burning the tent down.

Peter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #355 on: 00:18:25, 18/12/17 »
Forgot about this post and I have been busy squandering my hard earned..
Pair of Agile Parcour 2 wellies, not yet worn.
Keela waterproof coat, not yet delivered :(
Keela scuffer trousers, not yet delivered :(
Keela waterproof overtrousers, got to be altered. (and I would need to go out in rain too, which seems a bit foolish these days)
Sealskinz Dragoneye waterproof gloves. Too small despite measuring my hand and ordering accordingly.
Sealskinz Waterproof/windproof beanie hat. Actually worn and very nice ta.
Overboard 30 litre waterproof rucksack. Delivered last week, not been out since :(
Colman head torch, rechargeable 300 lumens. (Who the hell goes out in the dark??)
I also bought a pair of boots from Whalley Warm & Dry that despite being carefully measured and fitted, did NOT fit in action.
So, that is the best part of £1000 spent and so far my ears have been warm enough.
 >:( ??? :-[ :-\    
Peter
sometimes I fall off the learning curve....
Join: Yorkshire Dales Walking Buddies
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1783012625307

lostme1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #356 on: 08:35:45, 18/12/17 »
Keela waterproof overtrousers, got to be altered. (and I would need to go out in rain too, which seems a bit foolish these days)
Sealskinz Dragoneye waterproof gloves. Too small despite measuring my hand and ordering accordingly.
Overboard 30 litre waterproof rucksack. Delivered last week, not been out since :(
Colman head torch, rechargeable 300 lumens. (Who the hell goes out in the dark??)
I also bought a pair of boots from Whalley Warm & Dry that despite being carefully measured and fitted, did NOT fit in action.
So, that is the best part of £1000 spent and so far my ears have been warm enough.

£500 an ear. That's good value  :) Hope the rest of your kit arrives soon. It's annoying when you did everything possible to get a good boot fit and they are not comfortable in the real world.
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

Requiem

• Veteran Member
« Reply #357 on: 16:51:18, 26/12/17 »
I almost got through Boxing Day without buying anything, but .. I succumbed

F10 Helium UL1 which imho is my second favourite tent behind the Terra Nova Laser is a bit pricey at 200 quid-ish, but when Amazon offer you one for £63 its gotta be had. So I had it. Roll on pay day now.
PT Business: poshpollyprints.co.uk
Twitter: @pollardroy
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/roypollard/
Facebook: Roy Pollard

landy87

« Reply #358 on: 20:50:08, 26/12/17 »
I almost got through Boxing Day without buying anything, but .. I succumbed

F10 Helium UL1 which imho is my second favourite tent behind the Terra Nova Laser is a bit pricey at 200 quid-ish, but when Amazon offer you one for £63 its gotta be had. So I had it. Roll on pay day now.

:o just checked amazon was it second hand?

Peter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #359 on: 18:37:16, 27/12/17 »

Taken delivery of everything now, was so looking forward to the Keela kit, perhaps the weather is exceptionally cold at the moment but I am worried that I feel cold in the coat.
I have a thin quilted coat from Decatholon that is warm enough to wear with just a shirt. The Keela coat feels cold from the moment I put it on.??
Just doesn't feel right. £150 and I feel cold??
Peter
sometimes I fall off the learning curve....
Join: Yorkshire Dales Walking Buddies
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1783012625307

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy