Author Topic: Can you help me buy some boots please?  (Read 6448 times)

Hardbic

Re: Can you help me buy some boots please?
« Reply #15 on: 11:45:12, 19/09/17 »
Yes, I have been exactly in Zakopane. Very nice place, I  love. And I'm going again in december.
Is no any problem with find some rooms etc. Is lots of and cheap. We paid for room per person about 5 pound per day. If you will need help with this i can help you. But if you need on next spring is too early.

About boots I have two idea:
-travel to biger city close to me (Peterborough) and buy something realy decent. This is expensive option ~150 pounds. Brands like meindl,asolo, zamberlan etc.
or
-travel (or even buy online) to decathlon. This is cheap option, boots will cost about ~50 pounds. Brands like quechua etc.

what do you think is better?
for example cheap from decathlon:
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/forclaz-500-high-mens-waterproof-walking-boots-grey-id_8319097.html [nofollow]
« Last Edit: 12:04:14, 19/09/17 by Hardbic »

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 12:39:58, 19/09/17 »
The best advice as always is to try before you buy to make sure they fit you. If that's not possible for any reason make sure that anything you order online can be returned.

At the budget end of the market the Karrimor KSB Orkney III might be worth considering? Amazon are offering free delivery and returns on these if they're not right.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Karrimor-Orkney-Weathertite-Trekking-Hiking/dp/B0064MM93E
http://www.mandmdirect.com/01/details/KM314/Karrimor-Mens-KSB-Orkney-III-Weathertite-Hiking-Boots-Brown

nesty

« Reply #17 on: 17:12:35, 19/09/17 »
I think the best budget boot out there is Anatom.
Made and tested in Scotland. Some are still UK made, (though at worst case some European made).
I got a brand new pair of V3 from ebay for £25. They not really a caught on make so loads of bargains on ebay of them.
Not a bad mountain boot for the money.

Hardbic

« Reply #18 on: 22:54:31, 19/09/17 »
that orkney looks not bad. Is no problem to try, because sport direct is in my Town.

About that Anatom i dont see this in this price.

Do not get me wrong, i have money. I can spend even 200 pounds. But I would like to be sure that if i spend 5 times more on some good boots, these boots I will use 5 times longer than cheap. I dont want to spend on boots 160 pounds and after 2 years do again.

Are they good boots?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALTBERG-BROWN-COMBAT-BOOTS-GRADE-1-VARIOUS-SIZES-CADET-BRITISH-ARMY/332368801898 [nofollow]
I dont know what does mean that is used. I asked seller, if somebody was walking in this i dont want.
« Last Edit: 23:00:39, 19/09/17 by Hardbic »

nesty

« Reply #19 on: 23:20:16, 19/09/17 »
that orkney looks not bad. Is no problem to try, because sport direct is in my Town.

About that Anatom i dont see this in this price.

Do not get me wrong, i have money. I can spend even 200 pounds. But I would like to be sure that if i spend 5 times more on some good boots, these boots I will use 5 times longer than cheap. I dont want to spend on boots 160 pounds and after 2 years do again.

Are they good boots?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALTBERG-BROWN-COMBAT-BOOTS-GRADE-1-VARIOUS-SIZES-CADET-BRITISH-ARMY/332368801898
I dont know what does mean that is used. I asked seller, if somebody was walking in this i dont want.

They are just army used surplus ones. Mainly, used for flat terrain, be no use over the dales or hills etc.
I doubt you will get 4 seasons for £100.
Unfortunately, in boots there is no short option for quality at a cheap price. You either buy decent get 2nd hand or pay once new last long time.
All of sports direct are china made. Eyelets will break off, start leaking. I've been there, but got fed up of reliability issues.
Decathlon boots just the quality feels terrible. I was in a store a few weeks ago (I bought some of their wicking tops, they seem ok). However the footwear was terrible build quality.
Trying on the boots is a must. It's a risk if you don't.
Are you a member of Costco. They have a store in Peterbough. They have some walking boots similar to that Orkney design for £30. Though, least with Costco they fully guarentee them. If they leak or you have issues, you just return them.
Boots is a very personal thing. 
« Last Edit: 23:33:09, 19/09/17 by nesty »

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 07:46:36, 20/09/17 »
If you have a budget of up to £200 I would suggest that you take a close look at the Altberg Tethera which is available in half sizes and 5 width fittings so you can get a perfect fit. Provided that they are properly maintained and looked after they will outperform and outlast any budget boot by a considerable margin. http://www.altberg.co.uk/product/the-tethera-mens-boot-mto/

The Altberg Tethera was specifically designed for use on the Lakeland Fells and Scottish Hills and are highly regarded amongst many forum members. Regular treatment with Alt-Berg's Leder Gris Original Wax will ensure that the boots remain waterproof and they have a Sympatex waterproof lining to back that up. They can also be resoled if and when the need arises. Numerous posters have reported using the Tethera with flexible crampons for short periods without any problems or issues.

It's essential that you visit an Altberg stockist to get properly measured and try them on before buying. Do not be tempted to buy online until you have done this.

Your nearest Altberg Premier Retailer is http://www.lockwoods.com/outdoor-footwear/mens-footwear/mens-trekking-hillwalking-boots/altberg-tethera-4-width-fittings-/prod_2457.html

The cheapest place I can find to buy the Altberg Tethera online is here @ £179.99 https://www.tauntonleisure.com/footwear/walking-boots/brand/alt-berg.html

Slightly cheaper here @ £169.95 if you require a Narrow Fit https://www.e-outdoor.co.uk/men-c7/mens-footwear-c59/mens-hiking-and-walking-footwear-c64/alt-berg-tethera-mens-hiking-boots-p542

Here's a YouTube best in test video review of them https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3ps-8JDMkU

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 10:55:04, 20/09/17 »
They are just army used surplus ones. Mainly, used for flat terrain, be no use over the dales or hills etc.
I doubt you will get 4 seasons for £100.
Unfortunately, in boots there is no short option for quality at a cheap price. You either buy decent get 2nd hand or pay once new last long time.
All of sports direct are china made. Eyelets will break off, start leaking. I've been there, but got fed up of reliability issues.
Decathlon boots just the quality feels terrible. I was in a store a few weeks ago (I bought some of their wicking tops, they seem ok). However the footwear was terrible build quality.
Trying on the boots is a must. It's a risk if you don't.
Are you a member of Costco. They have a store in Peterbough. They have some walking boots similar to that Orkney design for £30. Though, least with Costco they fully guarentee them. If they leak or you have issues, you just return them.
Boots is a very personal thing.

My family (not me) have some Decathlon boots and shoes. They seem pretty decent actually for the price, certainly not terrible quality. The bottom-end ones are basic as you'd expect at those prices. Overall I'd say they are about as good quality as the market in general for the prices charged and better then some. Also their returns policies is about as good as it gets. You get a whole year to return items for any reason including "I just don't like it".

I hate Sports Direct as a company and try to avoid Karrimor because of that. However my mate has pair of KSBs that have lasted him a few years and are still in good nick so they do seem to be able produce at least some good shoes.

None of these are the same sort of quality as people like Altberg produce
« Last Edit: 09:58:25, 21/09/17 by NeilC »

jethro10

« Reply #22 on: 18:57:49, 20/09/17 »

My family (not me) have some Decathlon boots and shoes. They seem pretty decent actually for the price, certainly not terrible quality. The bottom-end ones are basic as you'd expect at those prices. Overall I'd say they are about as good quality as the market in general for the prices charged and better then some. Also their guarantee and returns policies are about as good as it gets. You get a whole year to return items for any reason including "I just don't like it".

I hate Sports Direct as a company and try to avoid Karrimor because of that. However my mate has pair of KSBs that have lasted him a few years and are still in good nick so they do seem to be able produce at least some good shoes.

None of these are the same sort of quality as people like Altberg produce

My wife replaced her 10yr old North Face boots with Decathlon one's, these, for £40 I though she was barmy. However she said they were very comfortable, and with a two year warranty, that's all they had to last!!
We live in the lakes and do rugged walks most weekend, they have been up Scafell Pike, Helvellyn, and many many more. Still going strong and she says the most comfortable boots she's ever had. Still waterproof, grips as well as vibram one's she has. I feel like I would want to complain to her, but the proof of the pudding as they say

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/forclaz-100-high-womens-waterproof-walking-boots-pink-id_8338956.html

Hardbic

« Reply #23 on: 08:24:20, 21/09/17 »
oh thanks for help.
So i just think now about buy this realy decent  Altberg Tethera wich Kinkyboots recomended. Thanks a lot for your post. For about 200 pounds.
or just cheaper boots from decathlon for 59 pounds https://www.decathlon.co.uk/forclaz-500-high-mens-waterproof-walking-boots-grey-id_8319097.html [nofollow]

Boots from decathlon are 3 times cheaper. Question is Will tethera be 3x better or stay 3x longer?
At the moment my decision is 60% for tethera and 40% for decathlon boots.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 08:47:01, 21/09/17 »
Something which may influence your choice, have you done much walking before? £200 is a lot to pay for a pair of boots if you then don't enjoy the experience and don't want to carry on.

Hardbic

« Reply #25 on: 08:54:46, 21/09/17 »
No lots of in hills. I will go about 2-3 weaks per year in hills.

Anyway, I was reading about that altberg boots and peoples said they are not very durable. No like zamberlan for example.
So probably i will stay at decathlon. And you are right, that question  influence on my mind.

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 09:40:03, 21/09/17 »
The simple answer is that you buy the boot which best suits your budget and is suitable for use on the type of terrain you will be using them on the most. Once you have narrowed down your choices above all else you then buy the boot from your shortlist which best fits your feet and is the most comfortable.

The Decathlon Forclaz 500 is only available in a few sizes so it may not even be an option if it's not available in your size.

The Forclaz 500 is a 2/3 season boot at best and it's low cut offering little in the way of ankle support. It's a fabric/suede combination which are hard to clean and requires constant treatment with a waterproofing spray to keep them waterproof. If the waterproof liner gets punctured or wears through at some point the boots will be totally useless in wet weather. I believe it's a false economy to buy any fabric/leather/suede combination boot unless you understand and accept the fact that it's very likely that you will need to replace them in less than 2 years time and that's always assuming they don't fall to bits before then.

Anyway, I was reading about that altberg boots and peoples said they are not very durable. No like zamberlan for example.

Unfortunately you are showing your inexperience as both myself and many other forum members would strongly disagree with that statement. You will really struggle to find a bad review of the Altberg Tethera anywhere. The Tethera is actually a very durable boot which has even been used in winter conditions with flexible crampons by some forum members. The Altberg Tethera won Best In Test and various other awards for a reason.

This guide may be worth a read http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/expert-advice/hill-walking-boots and this older Go Outdoors video is worth watching https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ9hb65XfIs and explains what you need to be looking for to suit the type of walking you do.

If you are happy to buy a £40 to £60 boot then by all means do so but do not expect it to last anywhere near as long as a more expensive boot from the better known brands. The differences are very obvious when the budget boot and the more expensive boot are placed side by side. The main differences to look out for are quality of the materials and fittings used in their construction and the build quality. Reading online reviews from people who have actually bought and used any particular boot is always worthwhile so you can benefit from their experience and not make the same mistakes.

Hardbic

« Reply #27 on: 10:49:10, 21/09/17 »
Budget for me does not matter. I want to get best option in best price.
Maybe in diffrent way, I want to get cheapest option in few years. No one year.

About terrain I want to go on some 1 or 2 more difficult peaks on summer. I wish orla perć but we will see. Is not easy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvwhUubyPyA [nofollow]

jethro10

« Reply #28 on: 13:44:43, 21/09/17 »
You're getting a lot of comments on brands - especially Altberg, and Value for money or VFM.

Here's my take.
Everyones feet are different, go to a shop and try them - it's pointless asking about "good shoes" it's too personal. Altberg may be the bees knees for you. They may be truly awful. along with other brands. The best one to buy, is the one that is the most comfortable. Boot recommendations are the worst thing to listen to. It's not like walking poles, or T-Shirts, or fleeces etc. which almost don't matter. Footwear is way more personal.
I hate leather boots with a vengeance, takes ages to break in, and are never really truly comfortable for me. so how can that be Value for money for me, even if I got a pair of altbergs for a tenner, i'd rather buy a pair of Karrimor's for £300 if they allow me to pursue my pleasure every weekend.

As for the Value for money bit. Are you judging it on pounds or pence per day or mile, because that's the only bit that truly measures VFM. What about comfort, or pleasure, or whatever else tickles your fancy.

As I said above, my wife's £40 Decathlons have stood the test of time - including winter. So what if it's not a xx season boot, were not in the Arctic, or the Alps. We plod around the lakes. However I have a pair of £135 walking shoes/trainers, and I love em. I don't argue with the wife about costs or brands, I say, Hmmmm, let's take a look, just incase.......

Choose what suits your feet. If it ends up being a bit more expensive per mile, it's still probably better VFM for your "life" whether it was £40 or £200. Perhaps you should 1/2 your budget and get two types of boots/shoes and cover a wider variety of terrains and weather? Don't be closed minded re brands or pricing.

Really, go try some, and buy what is the most comfortable if you say budget doesn't matter. The best option at best price as you say, is what you can spend all day walking in and that will be different for you as it is for my wife or me.
Socks seem to make a difference also, at least it does for me. My wife swears by Bridgedale, I can't get away with them.
J

EDIT: Weight. A 4 season boot in leather is going to weigh a whole lot more than a 2-3 season fabric boot. This may or may not be a big deal to you, however you may need a proper big winter boot? Worth bearing in mind though. It's why I have a few pairs, and choose the lightest/softest I can get away with on that given day - my feet thank me for it ;-)
« Last Edit: 14:54:10, 21/09/17 by jethro10 »

jethro10

« Reply #29 on: 16:45:49, 21/09/17 »
It's a fabric/suede combination which are hard to clean and requires constant treatment with a waterproofing spray to keep them waterproof. If the waterproof liner gets punctured or wears through at some point the boots will be totally useless in wet weather. I believe it's a false economy to buy any fabric/leather/suede combination boot unless you understand and accept the fact that it's very likely that you will need to replace them in less than 2 years time and that's always assuming they don't fall to bits before then.

Hi,
Can I pull you up on this comment and ask you to explain a bit further please?
you're obviously a leather fan, and yes, my experience has been less than perfect, and i now usually go fabric after failing miserably with the weight and comfort of leather - but I did try!

however I believe what you say here is totally incorrect.

1. You say fabric type is hard to clean.
I use a soft brush and a hosepipe to clean boots - a few mins - like leather. no more, no less.

2. you say - requires constant treatment with a waterproofing spray to keep them waterproof.
Totally wrong I believe, it's the membrane that keeps them waterproof, a spray is unnecessary and I doubt there is truly a waterproof spray anyhow.
After washing, Sometimes before I use them next, about every 5-10 uses, I spray them as it helps keep them a bit cleaner. a spray- about 10-20 seconds a boot.Now Altberg, from their website (http://www.altberg.co.uk/leder-gris/bootcare/ I'll paraphrase though.)

3. They say if it's warm, cover with a damp cloth and dry slower as drying can shrink the leather - what a pfaff[/font]
They say wet/dry cycles will inevitably crack along joint but you can slow it down - built in breaking is another way to look at it if you're being harsh;-)

4. They say, wax EVERY TIME. They are saying timing is important to do it when nearly dry, or just dry. What a pfaff again. I may be at work at the critical point !!!

So
Fabric - wash, spray for 20 seconds sometimes.
Altberg - wash, possibly dry with a damp cloth if warm, it inevitably cracks, and wax every time - more than 20 seconds!

So leather v's non leather aside. to me, fabric wins hands down on the time/effort compared to leather. totally opposite to what you say and I believe I've explained why quite clearly.

You say, "it's very likely that you will need to replace them in less than 2 years time", yet provide no evidence what so ever for this statement. I have no evidence either, but I'm not making a statement. What I can say is that between my Wife and I, ALL our fabric boots have lasted longer than 2 years, the last two that got binned lasted 7 and 10 years, and the 7 was not for leaking.
Your comment seems biased.

And lastly you say "that's always assuming they don't fall to bits before then", well that's just totally biased - why do that?

I'm all for educating a person asking questions, both types have pro's and cons. but you sound like an altberg salesperson. Are you? ;-)

To the OP.

As before, keep your eyes and mind open, go try some. buy what you're happy with.

J
« Last Edit: 16:50:02, 21/09/17 by jethro10 »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy