Author Topic: Camping, Glamping and now.........  (Read 6085 times)

Stube

Re: Camping, Glamping and now.........
« Reply #15 on: 18:53:27, 15/04/18 »
Pyecombe Church on the South Downs Way has a kitchenette, which walkers are welcome to use

It's good to know that the church is now open.  O0 On both occasions I walked the SDW a few years back it was locked. I always thought it was the ideal spot for a water tap.

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 19:15:38, 15/04/18 »
I knew that name was familiar, I had a long break sitting on a bench in the church graveyard beside the SDW. I seem to recall a nice view over the valley where a busy road was crossed over towards farmland on the hills and lots of pig pens in fields and a short diversion from my map/guide book/gps.
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 20:01:00, 15/04/18 »
........... Also like to look at old gravestones!
My plan is to keep walking ‘til I find my name on one, then I shall treat myself to a lie in.
Solvitur Ambulando

madame cholet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 20:29:14, 15/04/18 »
Ahh this thread reminds me of staying in the lovely hostel at Kirkby Stephen while walking the c2 c 2 years ago.
Great things are done when women and mountains meet.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 09:07:34, 16/04/18 »
My plan is to keep walking ‘til I find my name on one, then I shall treat myself to a lie in.
;D
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 09:31:36, 16/04/18 »
Some interesting points have come up in this topic. I like;

Traditionally churches had a duty of (free) shelter for travellers - which is why the south porch of a church is generally so large.

Funny how just floating an idea here, just on a whim, adds to your knowledge, thanks stube.
Not that I am in any way in a position to advise the church, just connecting ideas is a fun pastime and I suspect that my vision as I dozed in the back pew differed from the Glamping Champing, as portrayed in Jac's link.

DA paints picture nearer to my vision,
The weather I remember was beautiful, and back in those days, all the churches remained open, even though half of the ones mentioned are in very remote locations, down country lanes.
I bet most of them now remained locked,

How many would welcome less glam, just shelter and the chance to bolt a door together with the basic of water and light and pay handsomely for just this.
The image that champing has portrayed needs heavy and sustained marketing, routes provide footfall, a good route provides sustained footfall. Routes can become embedded.

The irony here is the connection mentioned

typically £50k - I wonder how the small country parishes manage to find such a sum on a regular basis - perhaps the local large landowners are still paying for the church.

28 years ago the Pennine Way was putting £8000 miles per mile per annum into the local economy, add another nought to the figure the Welsh Coastal Path's earning power and yet another nought for the revenue from the South East Coastal Path. Most people I read about online do these routes on a tight budget.

So where is £100,000's per mile per year coming from routes, what is the mechanic's, creative accounting has been quoted to me by a hotelier and in the same conversation he grumbles about the local landowners attempts to block local footpaths, where he walks his dogs. :D
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 10:46:40, 16/04/18 »

Funny how just floating an idea here, just on a whim, adds to your knowledge, thanks stube.
[/quote]

Certainly does. I've just spent an hour reading up on Charles II's flight from Worcester to France as commemorated by The Monarch's Way (see recent thread). I had wondered why it seemed such a ridiculously route and didn't even know which monarch was involved.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy