Author Topic: woodland camping  (Read 2075 times)

myzeneye

woodland camping
« on: 11:36:35, 24/06/07 »
can anyone recomend any places in the northwest or noth/mid wales for some woodland camping ? preferably somwhere where you can have a camp fire etc...
im sure you know what im after.... not exactly butlins.....

solo backpacker

Re: woodland camping
« Reply #1 on: 20:12:16, 30/06/07 »
galloway forest park is the best southern based Scottish forest for wild camping, it is in the west and is the best forested area near england / wales to wild camp legally that i have found. the southern upland way long distance path runs through it and is a good route to follow with plenty of lochs to camp near. let me know what you think, i've spent some time there so can make a few recommendations for places to stop etc
Man, I see the strongest and smartest men who've ever lived. I see all this potential, and I see squandering. God damn it, an entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables; slaves with white collars. Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy [censored] we don't need.

myzeneye

« Reply #2 on: 00:28:29, 01/07/07 »
cheers. i will have a look online at some maps etc... however, i was hoping to find somthing a little closer to home (cheshire) to try and make it a weekend thing for as and when type opertunities... when work and the family comitments allow...
ive been up and around scotland plenty of times before Aviemore, cultibragen etc, but now with a tiny nipper its hard to get away so far, as im sure alot of guys on here will understand...........

a tip up north in all likely hood would only happen once or twice a year whereas somthing closer ie wales or yorkshire, peak district or lakes... would be alot easier ...

any other recomendations?

solo backpacker

« Reply #3 on: 11:22:55, 01/07/07 »
elan valley has some nice forest and reservoir based walking but i've never tried wild camping there. it can get fairly busy high season but i'd be tempted to give it a go.
Man, I see the strongest and smartest men who've ever lived. I see all this potential, and I see squandering. God damn it, an entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables; slaves with white collars. Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy [censored] we don't need.

Snowman

« Reply #4 on: 14:53:07, 05/07/07 »
Tricky one.    I've walked South to North over the Cambrian Mountains and there are plenty of woodland areas, but they are often close to 'civilisation', and there are plenty of remote areas where nobody goes, but they tend to be bare and exposed.

There's a lovely little valley NW of Rhandyrmwyn Bridge, but whether you'd be far enough away for a campfire???    But it was very quiet when we walked it, so possibly the local farmer wouldn't mind.    Nice place to take the kids if you can get to stay.    But it's worth mentioning that it was dry when we were there and valleys might not be too good with the weather we've been getting.    The publican at the pub in Rhandyrmwyn was a pleasant fellow, so if you find yourself in the area you could talk to him while taking in some of his liquid hospitality.

S.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy