Author Topic: Leki walking pole grips  (Read 2119 times)

fernman

• Veteran Member
Leki walking pole grips
« on: 11:12:06, 19/07/19 »
I've had my pair of Leki Makalu poles for manys years, and for a while I've been noticing that the surface of the rubber grips appears to be wearing away, while at the end of a day's walking my hands are dirty where I've been gripping them.

So yesterday I propped the poles upended in a sink of hot water with washing up liquid for ten minutes, gave the grips a good wipe and then rinsed them lots in cold water.

Now that they are dry, the grips feel sticky. Am I going to have to do away with an otherwise good pair of poles, or is there a solution?

I've only thought of talcum powder so far, but I'm not sure how effective that might be, or how long it would last.

Pitboot

Re: Leki walking pole grips
« Reply #1 on: 12:10:49, 19/07/19 »
Sounds like the material is degrading, as rubber and plastics do over time. Maybe contact their service/support department for a fix, they may offer to do it for free.

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 12:41:56, 19/07/19 »
Talcum powder may work but I have used Cornstarch (corn flour is the same thing) to remove grease stains from leather in the past so no reason why this wouldn't work given that you're trying to remove the grease/oil build up from your hands from the grips. If you try this apply liberally and leave overnight so it soaks up as much as possible then brush off the following morning. Repeat if needed.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 13:55:14, 19/07/19 »
Thanks for the replies.

@ pitboot, I checked when I got my poles, I was given them for Christmas in 1998, so they're 20 years old! (I found a mention I made on a 1999 trip report!) The grips look a very tight fit on the poles, they don't look as if they can be removed. There's a plastic stud on the top of the grip but I don't want to start poking around there.

However, I found a link to Leki spare parts. They didn't show mine, but it says under one type, "This grip is just one example of the grips available. Please contact us at [email protected] with a picture of your poles if you would like a quote for replacements for other types." So I shall do just that.

@ kinkyboots, your suggestion of cornstarch (aka corn flour, I have learnt, which the OH says we have in the cupboard) would clean the grips, but is it likely to remove the stickiness after my attempt at cleaning them? I shall try talc first (another thing the OH has!) but I rather fear it is due to degradation of the material as pitboot suggests.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 23:03:43, 19/07/19 »
There is a type of rubbery tape that you can use to improve the grip on bicycle handlebars. May be worth a shot if not too expensive??????
Too little, too late, too bad......

taxino8

« Reply #5 on: 07:13:06, 20/07/19 »
Try electricians self amalgamating tape, that’s what I used on mine and it worked for me.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 08:33:25, 20/07/19 »
Talc sounds like a good idea.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 08:46:43, 20/07/19 »
Thanks for all the suggestions, as a result of which I'm going to:
1. Take photos
2. Try talc
3. If talc is ineffective then I'll send photos to Leki in the hope I can buy new grips
4. Tape them, as a last resort
5. If tape is no good, I'll get in a huff, bin the poles and buy new ones.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 10:10:08, 20/07/19 »
They may dry of their own accord with exposure to the air.  Failing that, let another layer of crud build up and this time leave it on.  :)
Solvitur Ambulando

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 17:21:22, 25/07/19 »
I finally got around to photographing my pole grips today and sending an email to Leki at Open Air (they are the UK agent apparently) in Cambridge.

A reply came just an hour later! How's that for service?

As well as offering to check their spares and to check with the Leki warehouse, this suggestion was made:

"Something worth trying when the grips go sticky is giving them a rub down with Isopropyl Alcohol. This wipes off any residue and can help to re-harden the surface. It is worth a try if you have some handy."

I don't "have some handy" but a quick check online suggests I might not have too much trouble obtaining some, though I'll ask one of my sons first, he has everything undedr the sun.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 17:39:53, 25/07/19 »
Isopropanol is an ingredient in car screenwash.  Not all washes contain it but if you have some handy, it may be worth checking the ingredients list. 
« Last Edit: 19:06:46, 25/07/19 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

Pitboot

« Reply #11 on: 18:39:51, 25/07/19 »
Isopropyl alcohol can be obtained from your local chemist, that's where I got mine.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 19:26:16, 25/07/19 »
I've just ordered 100ml of Isopropyl Alcohol on eBay, 99% pure, £3.50 with free postage.

The only car screenwash I use comes out of the kitchen tap!

How times have changed, when you can freely order chemicals like this online. I occasionally used to go in chemists shops to buy a quantity of citric acid powder for cleaning the insides of customers' dishwashers, when I was always viewed with suspicion by the pharmacist. I was never able to simply buy it without questions being asked.
« Last Edit: 19:37:11, 25/07/19 by fernman »

Gadabout Bounder

« Reply #13 on: 17:36:35, 26/07/19 »
Having just dealt with Gus @ Openair in Cambridge I can say that the service and info is spot on - big online thank you!

Broke a Leki pole on a clamp and he managed to source a replacement top section.

The want was for them to provide the clamp and I would attempt removal of the broken one and fit the new one.

Gus did say that they were very difficult to remove.

Tried hot water and other things to no avail.

In the end the top section was used to make an extender A frame for my Duomid and a replacement is on it's way.

As I was stripping the top section of the pole the broken clamp would not come off, the grip was a nightmare & the handle was impossible.

Good luck
'We've spilt the same blood in the same mud'

Gadabout Bounder

« Reply #14 on: 11:14:34, 27/07/19 »
Posted yesterday - arrived this morning.

With delivery, VAT, time sourcing & email communication the £10.00 cost (for a complete top section) couldn't have left anything in the sale as far as profit.

Once again - Thank you Gus @ Openair.
'We've spilt the same blood in the same mud'

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy