Author Topic: Check Those Batteries!  (Read 3010 times)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Check Those Batteries!
« on: 12:05:51, 03/04/18 »
I carry a ziplock bag containing spare batteries for my gpx, radio and headlamp in the bottom of my pack. Today when checking my gear before a trip this pm I happened to check the bag and found that one battery had rotted and another had lost power. I was a bit surprised as they were a quality brand {bunny power} but lesson learnt. I usually swap batteries at home before a trip if I think they are getting low. Henceforth I will use the spares bag to change batteries and put a replacement battery in the spares bag.
Solvitur Ambulando

nesty

Re: Check Those Batteries!
« Reply #1 on: 12:25:52, 03/04/18 »

One thing I do also have is a portable power pack. Handy (if you do have access to 12v or mains for charging). Though you can get some power from them before discharge. If you get the right connections, they very good as a back up. My one (50,000 Mah), even has a LED torch built in!  

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 12:42:53, 03/04/18 »
Make sure you bring the lead for your device too and not just the power bank.

aimed @ beefy  :D
Hate will never win

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 12:45:06, 03/04/18 »
I also carry a phone charger backup with a built in LED BUt I also have a solar phone charger, which even on a dull winters day can take in enough charge to refill the phone enough for emergencies. I usuall have them both charged to full before I set off. On longer walks I have a folding 11W solar charger which can top up my phone in no time on a bright day and then top up anything needed in my battery banks.

My last problem was forgetting to carry a USB lead. Since bought some extras and have one in each bag now alongside my trusty but rarely used compass and whistle(Never used) (Edited Ha April yep that is indeed too true, Beefy not the only one ??? )

I wonder if anyone has marketed a USB headlamp that I do not know of?
Too little, too late, too bad......

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 13:13:13, 03/04/18 »

Oi... >:(

My last problem was forgetting to carry a USB lead. Since bought some extras and have one in each bag now alongside my trusty but rarely used compass and whistle(Never used) (Edited Ha April yep that is indeed too true, Beefy not the only one ??? )

I' not the only one  ;D
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 13:20:48, 03/04/18 »
Beefy. I have a good excuse as I have Aadtimers.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 13:29:41, 03/04/18 »
I have an ordinary Anker battery, which charges my phone up to twice but then I bought a bigger Anker one. The charge lasts for for about 5-7 days, a bit heavier (12ozs) but I think well worth it.

Yes, good reminder about leads. I have to carry two leads, one for the charger, one for my phone. When will they standardise these things? My 3 pin plug is so cleverly designed, it folds flat when not in use, got it for a tenner when other sites were wanting £30.

motorlaunch

« Reply #7 on: 14:03:54, 03/04/18 »
Cold weather can seriously affect the performance of a battery. Where practical I carry important devices and their spare batteries in a chest pocket so they don't get too cold. For backpacking trips I start off with fresh batteries. A half used battery weighs just the same as a full one.  :)

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 15:01:41, 03/04/18 »

He's getting old n forgetful  ;D :P
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 15:37:54, 03/04/18 »

Not quite sure what you mean but my LED Lenzer head torch recharges from a USB. .... so can be recharged using my Anker power bank.
Where there's a will ...

Tin

« Reply #10 on: 16:02:20, 03/04/18 »

Spotted these on Amazon for £9.90, not sure how good they are but I'm going to order one soon.

https://olightworld.com/batteries-and-chargers/olight-uc-magnetic-usb-charger

Does anyone know if they're any good?

davengf

« Reply #11 on: 16:37:48, 03/04/18 »
Like that idea.
Am I right in assuming  that it is just a USB lead that you plug into your charger or power pack?
Tempted to make one out of an old USB lead and some fridge magnets and see what happens.....
Need to be sure of polarity though
« Last Edit: 16:45:12, 03/04/18 by davengf »

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 16:54:44, 03/04/18 »
Thanks Sussamb looking at the web now.

Looks like something I didn't know existed is actually inhabiting every corner of the Webiverse.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 17:58:53, 03/04/18 »
Being a methodical person  :angel: I have a pre-trip equipment checklist, at the foot of which is a header 'How are batteries in....?', highlighted in red.
(I've not reached the stage of having Postits around the house saying 'Have you got your keys', but heading that way.)
This is followed by a list of everything I take that has batteries, both backpacking and base camp items, and by each of these I write when new ones were last fitted.
And I always use lithium batteries because they last longer, they hold their charge longer between uses, and most importantly as far as I'm concerned they weigh less.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 18:23:09, 03/04/18 »
I feel inadequate in the face of all this technology.  All my zip lock bag has is 2xAA and 4xAAA  Duracell batteries  :-\ .
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy