Author Topic: Another military death in the Brecon Beacons  (Read 5836 times)

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
Re: Another military death in the Brecon Beacons
« Reply #15 on: 12:15:15, 21/07/16 »
ive never encountered a military vehicle, such as a camouflaged truck or land Rover coming towards me.

This just shows how fantastic their camouflage is then, lol
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 12:28:11, 21/07/16 »
 ;D ;D ;D O0
Where there's a will ...

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 12:32:20, 21/07/16 »
Now that i live in North Wales, i cannot remember ever seeing a military vehicle of any type passing me on the road.

Not all vehicles used by the military are obviously military.  For trips to Snowdonia we always used white minibuses, as I said it's more for adventure training rather than military training  ;)
Where there's a will ...

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 20:26:14, 21/07/16 »
I'm regularly up and down the A470 past Storey Arms, also over the Epynt ranges to Tirabad and Llanwrtyd Wells. Many a time I've seen white minibuses depositing military personnel out on some exercise or another. You quite often see obviously military vehicles on the roads around SENTA, but equally as often if they don't want to be seen, they won't be.
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

Summit

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 01:26:01, 22/07/16 »
Sad news, can I ask that people wait to see the facts of the incident before they portion blame. Accidents happen for many different reasons and at the moment we are unsure what caused this one.

To answer a couple of the things thrown up. Whilst I was in the military we used Snowdonia quite a lot. Indefatigable is an adventure training base near Anglesy, Capel Cruig camp, Bathesda Cottage and we did courses at PLB. All the time using civilian vehicles and wearing civilian kit. Most of the time we used hire cars to take us to and from these bases.

I have trained in Brecon and it is a harsh area but not quite as harsh as the Mountain Training centre at Kinlochleven, using the Mamore mountains. Its used to train troops for deployment to Norway for Artic training. Stornaway on the Isle of Lewis in the outer Hebrides. Cape Wrath training area where the RAF can practice close air support and drop bombs near you.

Our troops are trained in various roles in various countries. Cold weather training takes place in Canada and Norway, Jungle training in Belize and Brunei, warm weather training in Kenya, Oman and Cyprus. We don't train troops in the Brecon in the hope we get a warm day.

Training happens no matter what the weather and timescales for marches etc will be changed to suit weather conditions. In winter you need more time because of snow etc, you also need more calories to be eaten. These things are taken into consideration. Warm weather. More stops for water and cooling. You will also find directing staff will assess your personal admin skills and if it looks like your not taking care of yourself you will first be advised and secondly taken off for your own good. It's human for people to push themselves. Hide injury. No rules or regulations can cover every eventuality
BURN FAT NOT OIL

PeakRambler

« Reply #20 on: 09:12:06, 21/08/16 »
Not all vehicles used by the military are obviously military.  For trips to Snowdonia we always used white minibuses, as I said it's more for adventure training rather than military training  ;)

A very sad event, the loss of any training recruit, but then any death of anyone military personnel is always sad.

It must raise the question of how these training sorties are organised and run, even though the lads and lasses need to train in extreme environments and conditions, they need to be brought up to the mark sensibly and with the right support to prevent any fatalities.

Though the armed forces do tend to use white, unmarked, mini buses, I it find surprising, because I've seen quite a few military vehicles, in camouflage, when I travel to North Wales and Snowdonia.

There are quite a few unsigned camps/bases in Snowdonia, and also a few signposted, particularly Capel Curig Camp on the A5, which you can't miss when driving past.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy