Author Topic: Todays personal dilemma!  (Read 2290 times)

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
Re: Todays personal dilemma!
« Reply #30 on: 13:29:27, 24/10/20 »

I think fabric boots with goretex are waterproof out of the box. The question is how long the goretex will remain intact. Once that starts leaking, leather boots have the edge because at least initially the leather will be more waterproof than the fabric.

Regarding "a pound on the feet is the same as five pounds on the back", this is probably true on a flat, good quality trail and without carrying much weight. However, in my experience, heavier boots offer more stability when it is rough under foot and especially in combination with carrying weight. The extra energy lifting your feet is then outweighed by the less energy spent because of the extra stability. This is my personal experience and it could work out different for other people.

My current winter boots are the only boots I have ever owned that keep the water out all day on the moors.  I forded a number of steams yesterday, as well as several miles of saturated peat bog, bone dry feet.  They are leather with a Gortex liner. and I re-proof the leather after every walk.  They're not light compared to shoes. But compared to boots I wore when younger they are positively feather like.  They can still fill up with rain water though, as I found out a few weeks back.

For sure at some point the liner will wear through, but I'm delighted with them after two winters.
« Last Edit: 13:34:32, 24/10/20 by BuzyG »

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 13:50:45, 24/10/20 »
One of my mantras when footwear is to keep it simple.  The fewer the pieces used in the construction of the shoe/boot, the fewer the rows of stitching and the fewer points of potential failure. The trouble with a lot of modern walking footwear is there are a lot of decorative bits that have little if any function.
Solvitur Ambulando

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 14:02:16, 24/10/20 »
However waterproof the boots there is always the problem of the big hole in the top!
I don't carry camping stuff really these days, so I don't have a very heavy pack. Though if life continues the way it is I might have to start. The point I was trying to make was not about leather boots, I have just taken a pair off, it was that it is a pity to say that they are the only thing that will do when it is clear that a lot of people walk in other things and they aren't all stupid or inexperienced.

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 15:10:30, 24/10/20 »
The point I was trying to make was not about leather boots, I have just taken a pair off, it was that it is a pity to say that they are the only thing that will do when it is clear that a lot of people walk in other things and they aren't all stupid or inexperienced.

I agree. On long distance trails like the PCT and CDT the great majority hikes on trailrunners! Works fine for them. While many admit that they wish the had boots when crossing deep snow, overall they prefer trailrunners. For me personally they don't work because the soles are too soft. For me that is a bigger factor than waterproofness. Although I really liked having dry feet in the Sierra, unlike most of the trailrunner-wearing hikers that I met.
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

cornwallcoastpathdweller

« Reply #34 on: 19:20:39, 24/10/20 »
Trail shoes for me every time, Karrimor Borders so not exactly the most 'techie' lightweight or expensive out there but they do the job and they fit me realy well, have nice hard stiff soles so good on gravel/shale surfaces.

Whilst preferring not to get wet feet im not overly bothered if i get a bit damp, a good job with Buzy using me as a depth gauge on Bodmin Moor!  ive never found anything foolproof as yet but am tempted by the waterproof socks idea.  Hope Santa is listening.
one step then another then another then a bench - please?

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 23:03:28, 25/10/20 »
On warmer dryer days I wear Karrimor Low Mount shoes. They are not light for shoes, but they are really comfy and cooler than boots in the summer.  I have an old pair that I sometimes carry, if I'm planning to ford a river that is going to come above my gaiters.  I've tried wearing them in cool wet conditions, but they don't work for me.  Much prefer the security of a good solid boot protecting my feet and ankles in such conditions. Dry feet is a bonus prize. 

I've mentioned before about body boarding surf socks. Comfy and very waterproof.  But also thick, so a tricky one with shoes.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 23:16:35, 25/10/20 »
A quick google and these were the surf sock I used to wear with my training shoes walking on the moors in winter.  Back when I was a surfer and had no modern walking boots.  Kept my feet lovely warm and dry.

https://www.annscottage.com/en/gb/C-Skins-Wetsuit-Socks-in-Assorted/m-35418.aspx?PartnerID=1&utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=UnitedKingdom&gclid=Cj0KCQjwxNT8BRD9ARIsAJ8S5xbaKKFYY01x1oQwV2ZX_3getGefaT1WVVRr9alrKTgPczJza-7EvAcaAiVmEALw_wcB

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy