Author Topic: Meindl sportwax  (Read 11376 times)

Slipkid

Meindl sportwax
« on: 19:49:35, 27/04/15 »
I've not used it before and was wondering if anyone has any advice on using it. I've read lots of conflicting information and was hoping some of the wise on here could help.

Rhino

• Veteran Member
Re: Meindl sportwax
« Reply #1 on: 20:40:15, 27/04/15 »
I use it and apply it with a clean cloth rubbing it in to clean dry boots. It is so easy to apply with it being soft like butter and I apply one coat only. In the wetter months I tend to clean my boots 3 to 4 times before re waxing and in the summer months double that. Out of all my footwear the Meindl leather is the most subtle looking  :)

Wainwrights Completed 12/12/15

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 22:41:58, 27/04/15 »
I've not been happy with water-based products which don't leave leather looking nourished, while the protection seems to me to wash out when the boots become wet. I first bought Meindl Sportwax two years ago, and I'm pleased enough with it that I wouldn't use anything else now.

Like most things German it is a bit expensive (search the net for the best price you can find) but I've found that this is offset by it going a long way, in fact I'm still on my first jar. Like Rhino, I use a cloth; I poke my forefinger out in the cloth, dab it gently on the wax in the jar, and rub it onto the boots.

Another plus I've found is that it seems to last a long time on my boots. I can do up to three day walks between treatments if the weather was reasonable. Even after my last walk two weeks ago, when I had to jet wash a thick coating of slurry off them when I got home, they'll be ok for another walk before I wax them again. And it seems to last longer on my multiple day backpacks, too.

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 07:49:15, 28/04/15 »
I swear by this stuff which gives both excellent waterproofing and finish.

I use it slightly differently to that already posted in that I use it in conjunction with an occasional application of Meindl Wetproof.

For a new boot apply Meindl Wetproof immediately after washing/wetting the boot whilst the leather is still wet/damp. Allow at least 24 hours for the Meindl Wetproof to soak in and for the boot to fully dry.

Once fully dry I apply a thin coat of Meindl Sportwax with my finger end and rub the wax well in (the heat from your finger really does help the wax to penetrate into the leather). Allow the wax plenty of time to soak/cure then brush it well in to the desired finish before applying a second thin coat. Be aware that it will turn a rough nubuck finish into a darker smooth leather finish.

Once that initial application is complete I apply a further coat of Meindl Sportwax after each clean and only use the Meindl Wetproof every 3rd or 4th clean.

This may help http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCMQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.meindl.de%2Fdownload%2Fdeutsch%2Fmeindl_trekking_care.pdf&ei=qig_VdSvBcrnav2PgPAN&usg=AFQjCNGOGr4WX--9_cd4qDg2Op8Z8gz2gg&bvm=bv.91665533,d.bGQ

Best price I could find online last week was here http://www.jacksandjills.co.uk/misc/meindl-sportwax-843334-239-68.php Voucher Code BASC10 gives you 10% off and with free delivery making it £3.60 delivered. Bargain!    ;D

Slipkid

« Reply #4 on: 12:06:01, 28/04/15 »
Thank you all for your advice and it really is appreciated. I knew after a long time lurking on the forum someone would know how to do it. Going to wax them later. Need to use them in the wet this weekend and don't have the wet proof yet so will wax them and the next time I clean/proof the boots I will use the wet proof method. Thank you all again for your contributions.

Rhino

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 12:50:10, 28/04/15 »
I swear by this stuff which gives both excellent waterproofing and finish.

I use it slightly differently to that already posted in that I use it in conjunction with an occasional application of Meindl Wetproof.

For a new boot apply Meindl Wetproof immediately after washing/wetting the boot whilst the leather is still wet/damp. Allow at least 24 hours for the Meindl Wetproof to soak in and for the boot to fully dry.

Once fully dry I apply a thin coat of Meindl Sportwax with my finger end and rub the wax well in (the heat from your finger really does help the wax to penetrate into the leather). Allow the wax plenty of time to soak/cure then brush it well in to the desired finish before applying a second thin coat. Be aware that it will turn a rough nubuck finish into a darker smooth leather finish.

Once that initial application is complete I apply a further coat of Meindl Sportwax after each clean and only use the Meindl Wetproof every 3rd or 4th clean.

This may help http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCMQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.meindl.de%2Fdownload%2Fdeutsch%2Fmeindl_trekking_care.pdf&ei=qig_VdSvBcrnav2PgPAN&usg=AFQjCNGOGr4WX--9_cd4qDg2Op8Z8gz2gg&bvm=bv.91665533,d.bGQ

Best price I could find online last week was here http://www.jacksandjills.co.uk/misc/meindl-sportwax-843334-239-68.php Voucher Code BASC10 gives you 10% off and with free delivery making it £3.60 delivered. Bargain!   ;D

Hi Kinkyboots respect the love and care your giving your boots but why do you brush in the wax after applying with a cloth? are your boots Nubruck and thats why?
My wifes are Nubruck and once the spray proofer is all gone i was intending on waxing instead of spraying as the spray method is a bit messy. I am prepared that the colour will change because of the wax but wasnt intending brushing it in.
I used to wax mine after each walk when i first got them but i was wasting my time along with wax and money and now try to wax as little as possible and the boots leather still looks so good and waterproof fully.

Slipkid

« Reply #6 on: 13:04:21, 28/04/15 »
Mine are nubuck  (vacuum gtx) meindl say you can use the wax and then brush the nubuck but it will change the colour. I've just waxed mine and they look far better now. They look like old fashion hiking boots in dark brown leather. I love my boots.

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 13:45:06, 28/04/15 »
My boots are Meindl Himalaya which had a nubuck finish when they were new but after the first couple of coats of the Sportwax had a smooth dark mahogany leather finish which I much prefer.

I just couldn't say no to the bargain when I found them online for £75 brand new :) especially when compared to the prices and quality of the others I was looking at at the time.

From personal preference I prefer to brush a shine on once waxed and find the smooth finish does help any mud to slide off easily and the water just beads off. I also find the smooth leather finish requires less time and effort and is far easier to maintain and keep looking good than the roughish nubuck finish which they originally had.

Rhino

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 12:56:16, 29/04/15 »
I will be using the wax for sure then when the spray has gone  O0
Although the boots were waterproof with the spray they were never as good as mine with the wax. As i am the chief footwear cleaner and wax on and was off man  ;D  i noticed this when cleaning with water that my wifes beaded less than mine and i always put it down to the spray vs waxing.
I was a bit concerned that waxing might damage them but apart from the colour change it seems it doesnt, wonder why they say use a spray as the preferred method?
Sales of spray perhaps  :-\

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy