Author Topic: 32 years old and just been diagnosed with Osteoarthritis of the big toe.  (Read 6277 times)

jontea

• Veteran Member
Wow Jon, that is the most down to earth and positive medical blog I have ever read. Can only be helpful and confidence boosting to anyone (me) who becoming worried about 'big toe joint' pains. Thank you
Thanks Jac, sorry to hear this is a problem for you also, but remember there is always a solution, don’t put up with pain indefinitely. I only hope the original poster comes back to the thread and reads my blog.

It was a long road through the NHS and took two years to get the op, but they did a superb job of my toe joint.

It’s almost two years since the operation and my toe feels absolutely normal, I don’t even think about my toe when I’m out walking now, very happy with the results  O0

Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

NeilC

• Veteran Member
I've got arthritis of the big toe joint. I bent my toe down really hard at judo, it went black and then the arthritis started. Must have been about 5 years ago and it's swollen up and makes buying boots a complete nightmare. Anything that pushes on it even slightly goes from comfortable to medieval-level torture over an hours or so. I must have tried every flipping boot in the UK. I even worse sandals in the snow last year cos I couldn't find anything.

But on the upside, now I've found some boots that work better I can actually handle it and it hasn't stopped me walking.

jontea

• Veteran Member
I've got arthritis of the big toe joint. I bent my toe down really hard at judo, it went black and then the arthritis started. Must have been about 5 years ago and it's swollen up and makes buying boots a complete nightmare. Anything that pushes on it even slightly goes from comfortable to medieval-level torture.
Sounds like you damaged cartilage and now getting bone friction :(

Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

RogerA

I know this is a very different condition but I wonder whether the solution my doctor gave me might help.

I have a number of hammer toes - effectively when I step the toe wont come down flat but rather the mid joint forms an arch. This makes it feel as though I've got a small marble or piece of grit stuck under the toe directly under the joint. Mostly ignorable but on a long walk gets very painful.

What my doctor suggested to me to was to get some durapore tape and strap the problem toe loosely to the one next to it to encourage it to stay extended. Its a simple solution and completely resolves my symptoms.

Troggy

You know what, Asomodai, I'm chuffed you had the courage to open up your concerns about the problems you are facing; because it's been brilliant to read some very supportive and useful posts. I'm sure they'll have given you optimism that your days of walking and enjoying life are nowhere near finished.

I've some problems with both big toes; and I don't know whether it's arthritis or just my age and there's nothing I can do about it. Well, after reading some of the posts on here, especially yours JohnT, it's given me a boost to see if there is something that can be done. I've just had the nails of both big toes partially removed and that'll take about six weeks to repair the skin. I couldn't believe how big the pieces of nail were that had been removed. So that's a start. The posts have certainly given me some optimism that all is not over, by any means.

Good luck and I hope that you are reassured more now, that you'll have a long life of walking, ahead. 

sussamb

• Veteran Member
I've got arthritis of the big toe joint. I bent my toe down really hard at judo, it went black and then the arthritis started. Must have been about 5 years ago and it's swollen up and makes buying boots a complete nightmare.

Did the same during a 'friendly' hand to hand combat session in the Army, guy landed on my foot and bent the toe the wrong way. Took about a year to heal but got painful when walking 6 years or so ago.  Steroid injections from my GP helped but now the toe has fused completely so I'm pain free  O0
Where there's a will ...

Canadawalker

I have arthritis of the big toe on both feet.  I use Voltorol (sp) and really good shoes.  I was lucky to find a pair of North Face that have been a godsend.  I also have to loosen the laces because of a halux valgus.

I have been able to continue walking thanks to good hiking boots as well.

Shoes are the key!  That and the odd anti inflammatory.   :)

Asomodai

Have a read of my blog  O0

http://johntrowsdale.blogspot.co.uk/2017/02/the-cheilectomy.html?m=1 [nofollow]

Thanks for posting this. Hopefully I will be able to get a cheilectomy when needed.

A minor update. I have been referred to a Podiatrist. Though I have been waiting 2-3 months for a phone call to discuss an appointment time.

I have managed a couple of short walks (11 miles each) without massive discomfort. I am still in the Limitus Hallux phase. I do feel I am getting a loss of mobility in the toe, its slow but it is there.

I bought a pair of still soled boots that were wide enough to accomodate my triangular feet. I had no issues with the shoe rubbing on the bunion, but I found my toe automatically bending when going over rough terrain. I still feel far more comfortable in my New Balance trail runners. The mesh doesnt cause discomfort against the bunion. However the sole is very flexible.

At the moment I am planning 2X160 mile walks on the SWCP this summer (Continuing on from the 180 miles I did a couple of years ago). Hopefully I will be able to finish off the remaining 170 miles next year.
« Last Edit: 11:02:24, 18/05/18 by Asomodai »

Asomodai

Last one now.

Just been back from my referral. Its definite Hallux Limitus going into Rigidus, Stage 3 arthritis. At the moment I am foregoing treatment as the pain is not that bad, i am going to tackle 2 170 mile stretches of the South West Coast this summer and see where I am in terms of the pain.

Doddy

If the big toe problem is mild there is some useful Turf toe exercises/treatment on YouTube. I am no expert. A Chiropractor said just avoid over stimulating the toe joint by wearing shoes that rub at the affected joint. I have skinny feet and  put a Compeed or similar over the ridge just behind the big toe to stop any rubbing. I don't wear boots even in the winter so I choose a Trail shoe which has only fabric over that ridge; many shoes have a fabric joint/band just where you don't want it.

Troggy

I've just had a look at some of those youtube entries and they were very informative. I've just self referred to see a NHS Podiatrist and hopefully I'll then find out what the problem is and what can be done about it. Certainly, the idea of trainers with mesh uppers is an attractive option. I've looked at a nuimber of walking shoes and most of them that I've checked out, have a rigid sort of cap, toe guard thing that just isn't comfortable for me. It just shows how important it is to seek information/treatment rather than just trying different brands out with the hope of finding a comfortable one.
I'll have to wait but I'm glad I've at least begun the process, so it's mainly sandals for the time being.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy