Author Topic: Best 1 person bomb proof tent vote  (Read 18339 times)

coby

Best 1 person bomb proof tent vote
« on: 21:07:01, 02/03/18 »
Given our recent weather what do the NICE and FRIENDLY folks in the forum think is  the most weather proof, last tent standing when all others are wiped out in a Scottish hoolie....one person bunker tent ??  O0 ...

For me there can be only one

Hilleberg Soulo...

2nd scarptent 1 with crossover poles

Vote now !

NeilC

• Veteran Member
Re: Best 1 person bomb proof tent vote
« Reply #1 on: 20:15:04, 05/03/18 »
I wouldn't really have a clue. But at c.£700 and 2.4KG for a one man - it would have to be bomb-proof and possibly make the evening meal for me!

I'm guessing there won't be many tents stronger than that given that kind of weight from that manufacturer.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 21:39:21, 05/03/18 »
 Vango Force Ten expedition tent.Ideal for a group of three where it can be split between loads but a little on the heavy side for the solo backpacker.

Maggot

« Reply #3 on: 22:22:36, 05/03/18 »
Just go for a bivi bag and hide behind a wall to sleep!  They weigh a few ounces and you feel more at one with nature  ;D

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 11:23:53, 06/03/18 »
Yes 'Maggot', that's my thinking, that's why I have recently bought myself a Snugpack Stratosphere. I have one little hiccup to consider. As an older person I suffer from a Hiatus Hernia. I am well in control of it this days but after a meal and a few pints I know that to increase my comfort, its best if most of my sleep period is done on my left side. Gravity helps to maximise the curvature of the stomach, which minimises the chance of stomach acid seeping back to the base of my oesophagus.

Mylo

« Reply #5 on: 12:48:26, 07/03/18 »
A toss up between the Lightwave S10 Sigma and the Tarptent Scarp 1.

In 3rd place the Nordisk Halland 2 (technically a 2 man tent or a very roomy 1 man + dog  :)  )

coby

« Reply #6 on: 17:42:56, 07/03/18 »
I still love my soulo so easy to pitch but yep its a beast to carry...i feel naked in a bivy cant get used to it😰 i just like the protection a tent gives when battling the elements and midgies

Welsh Rambler

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 20:09:18, 11/03/18 »
Yes 'Maggot', that's my thinking, that's why I have recently bought myself a Snugpack Stratosphere. I have one little hiccup to consider. As an older person I suffer from a Hiatus Hernia. I am well in control of it this days but after a meal and a few pints I know that to increase my comfort, its best if most of my sleep period is done on my left side. Gravity helps to maximise the curvature of the stomach, which minimises the chance of stomach acid seeping back to the base of my oesophagus.
Hi Gunwharfman, do you use the Snugpack with a tarp or as a standalone shelter? If the latter are they waterproof in heavy rain and where do you put your kit?
Regards Keith

Thedogsmother

« Reply #8 on: 23:06:23, 12/03/18 »
MSR Elixir 1 has been really good to me. Sturdy, lightweight, good shape that can take a real storm battering. Good headroom.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 13:05:56, 13/03/18 »
Good question Welsh Rambler. I seem to now have 2 or 3 options to play with. I have the Snugpack, I also have an Alpkit 3.5 Tarp. My other choice which I think I will go for first is to use the outer cover of my Zepyros 1 as my tarp. I've used it once, (only in the garden) it gives me the choice to have it half erected (head end under tarp, feet end sticking out) or if the weather is really bad or I want better privacy I can fully enclose myself under it.

I can use the Snugpack as a stand-alone but as you notice that will present me with the problem of where do I put my rucksack and boots? I haven't thought that out yet. I suppose boots could go either side of my head? One suggestion has been to see if my rucksack will fit into the head end of the Snugpack, not sure about this? If it works where will my boots go?

Perhaps I could secure my rucksack to a fence or tree whilst I sleep, still got to think it all through. Maybe buy one of those netting steel locks for my rucksack security?

shoarthing

« Reply #10 on: 15:18:39, 13/03/18 »
I can recommend - from firsthand use - a Hilleberg Unna (with Staika 10.25mm poles) . . . . but again this is over 2kg, & really only a ‘must-have’ tent if you are both *very* tall & like/need a roomy bunker.
The Soulo is too small for me, & both are ridiculously expensive. But excellent.
« Last Edit: 16:01:09, 13/03/18 by shoarthing »

Troggy

« Reply #11 on: 21:39:09, 19/03/18 »
Well, I haven't experienced that many to be able to say what is the best. The only really top quality tent that I've had was a Laser Comp 2 and that stood up pretty well to a really howling, wet,blowy camp on the road to Keswick.  What I've got though, which I know has had some really good reviews after camping in foul weather, is a Tiger Paws 1 man tent. It's big enough to take all your kit inside, while leaving muddy boots in the porch. It's quite good for head room and tall enough at the foot end to allow my big plates of meat, some wiggle room. Porch ain't the biggest though.

As I'm a confirmed wimp, I've sewn in most of the mesh panels with lightweight solid tent nylon, so it's not too draughty and I've sewn a couple of pegging points (one on each side) to lessen the movement on the side panels. I just need a donkey now to carry the thing, while I re-write travels with the said companion! I would be confident in using the tiger paws though, in the same conditions. So that'd get my vote...so at least it's got one!

Rajboy

« Reply #12 on: 21:35:09, 24/03/18 »
If you use 2 trek Poles try out some Pyramid/Hexamid shelters.
Plenty of cheap copies on Aliexpress to experiment with to see if you like them first with no great investment
Lightweight, proven in weather.
Look backpacking light.co.uk...Bob Cartwright..Hexpeak, Mini Peak 2 as starters
Add your own chosen inner or in Summer, leave at home and replace with  midge net.
Google the US Cottage Industries...MLD, Tarptent, ZPacks, HMG, Japanese locus gear.....
Agree, Tarptent Scarp bomber for Winter.
Look tents ULOG, Darlington.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 16:09:35, 25/03/18 »
Now that I have bought a Snugpack Stratosphere Bivi I need to decide, do I use it as a stand alone item or not? I have now played around with it, slept in it and have thought about how to manage my equipment, rucksack and boots mainly.

I did think of taking the outer cover of my Zepyros 1 tent and using it it as a Tarp but for my first outing at proper camping I think I've given up on this idea for the moment, it feels too big for what I think I need and my overall carry weight increases.

I've decided to take my Alpkit 3.5 Tarp with me instead, it will cover my head end and my torso and will offer sufficient space, either side of the Bivi to keep my rucksack covered, dry and safe. I think my boots will end up, one each side of my head, with my pillow in between. The other benefit of taking the Alpkit Tarp will be lower weight.

All I've got to do now is to go on a proper walk and test it out properly. I tried Tarping last May in the South of France but did not enjoy it, the weakness for me was the Alpkit Hunka that I took with me. I just couldn't adapt to being stuck in a long sausage for the night, getting in and out was a real faff. The reason I chose the Snugpack was because it has a raised head area and it has a long zip down one side so getting in and out will be much easier. A good test I think will be when I have to get organised when its raining, when I have to sleep all night in rain and when I wake and its raining. If I find yet again that, to Bivi and to Tarp, is not to my liking I have decided I will then either go back to my old tent for a while, or buy a Naturehike tent!

Troggy

« Reply #14 on: 22:45:35, 25/03/18 »
Well, GunWharfMan,
I've often thought about bivvying and at one time bought a lightweight bivvy; and I also bought a DD 3m by 3m tarp as well. I tried the idea out on midsummer solstice near the top of Walla Crag. It was one of the most uncomfortable nights I've everspent outdoors! It diodn't help that I'd pitched on a slope and that for Midsummer, it was horrible drifting rain that just oersisted all night.

The set up wasn't that bad to be honest. The tarp did a decent job after I'd pegged it out as a sort wide ridge tent. So I was dry but midges galore in the humid, damp weather made me wish I'h just had a nice little tent I could just zip up and protect me from the little messengers from hell!

I still like the idea in a romantic, being at one with the universe, way but to be honest, the idea of being safe and sound in a tent is the way for me.

I wish you well in your experiment though; and if it works out for you, it would be nice to wake up right in the heart of mother nature.

I think, though, that for me the little Tiger Paws would do me just fine in a horrendous hoolie. Everything is inside, including all my gear and there's that sort of feeling of "Sanctuary" sitting inside a tent when the wind is howling and the rain is bucketing down.

I was, and still am, a bit attracted to the idea; but a bit of Naturehike, rather than Nature would win me round every time.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy