Author Topic: Flora  (Read 101362 times)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Spring Flower
« Reply #330 on: 12:07:12, 02/04/20 »
A lot of these flowers are starting to appear on the banks under hedgerows.  Can anyone identify them please?

Solvitur Ambulando

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
Re: Flora
« Reply #331 on: 12:28:25, 02/04/20 »
Looks like Stitchwort to me. Common but under appreciated in my opinion. Called after needle and thread work on a country girls dress as the flower can be so easily represented by simple stitching.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #332 on: 12:30:04, 02/04/20 »
+1 Greater Stitchwort I think

Never thought of the reason for the name before :)
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #333 on: 12:37:16, 02/04/20 »
Thanks.  They have just started to pop out in profusion.  All this daily lane walking has given me a greater appreciation of the hedgerow flower season.  Before my knee problem and all wet weather, we used to drive past all that, straight for the moors or the coast.  The bad weather and the lock down has given me a greater appreciation of what we have on the doorstep.
Solvitur Ambulando

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #334 on: 12:48:15, 02/04/20 »
Thanks.  They have just started to pop out in profusion.  All this daily lane walking has given me a greater appreciation of the hedgerow flower season.  Before my knee problem and all wet weather, we used to drive past all that, straight for the moors or the coast.  The bad weather and the lock down has given me a greater appreciation of what we have on the doorstep.

Me too. I would have driven to Dunsford Woods on the R Teign to see dippers. Yesterday I saw one half a mile from home on the Alphinbrook.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #335 on: 12:55:46, 02/04/20 »
Me too. I would have driven to Dunsford Woods on the R Teign to see dippers. Yesterday I saw one half a mile from home on the Alphinbrook.
Funny you should say that, the week before last I went for a walk on the Exe Valley Way from Tiverton while my car was being serviced and saw a brace of dippers at Iron Bridge.
Solvitur Ambulando

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #336 on: 16:56:55, 02/04/20 »
I have Stitchwort in my garden & I’m  so looking forward to it flowering! 8)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #337 on: 13:27:11, 06/04/20 »
I saw lots of flowering garlic mustard on my walk this morning.

This is one of my favourite spring wildflowers because I like to break up the leaves and sniff the garlic as I walk along.  :)

I know they're edible, but I've not chanced nibbling them yet.  :-\
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #338 on: 18:29:51, 06/04/20 »
I can tesify that garlic mustard is quite edible. It used to grow plentifully in my garden and we used to add it to salads.
But don't take too much, for the orange tip butterfly, which we should be seeing in a week or two if this warm weather keeps up, lays its eggs on the underside of the leaves for the larvae to feed on.
I am saying that for the benefit of the future of the butterlies, not yours.

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #339 on: 21:07:08, 06/04/20 »
I think that’s the plant that’s also known as Jack-by-the hedge  O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #340 on: 10:29:32, 07/04/20 »
Orange tip butterflies already here (Devon) spent some time watching and photographing two males (the ones with the orange tips) sparring in the sunshine.

A family out walking came past and, at the risk of sounding too nerdy, I pointed out the butterflies - from their delighted reaction I reckon quite a number of people, especially children, will be enjoying and building up their personal knowledge of nature this spring

(Sadly, still can't find a way to post pics. I've tried everything suggested :( )

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #341 on: 10:30:23, 07/04/20 »
I think that’s the plant that’s also known as Jack-by-the hedge  O0

that's me! and yes, the young leaves are delicious - slightly peppery

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #342 on: 11:38:53, 07/04/20 »
A family out walking came past and, at the risk of sounding too nerdy, I pointed out the butterflies - from their delighted reaction I reckon quite a number of people, especially children, will be enjoying and building up their personal knowledge of nature this spring

My wife and I did an 8 day tour of Iceland, when we were the only two Brits on a coachload of Americans. Part of the pleasure of the trip for me personally was seeing the country's ferns.
At one stop an American lady came across to see what I was examining, which was a diminutive arctic-alpine species that is extremely rare in the UK, just about hanging on at a handful of sites in Scotland, NW England and Snowdonia, and yet it is fairly common in fissures in Iceland's glaciated rocks.
The woman listened attentively as I detailed the fern's ecology to her. Then at another stop later in the day I had a feeling of pride when I accidentally overheard her repeating everything I had said to a group of her fellow countrymen.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #343 on: 18:46:29, 07/04/20 »
My wife and I did an 8 day tour of Iceland, when we were the only two Brits on a coachload of Americans. Part of the pleasure of the trip for me personally was seeing the country's ferns.
At one stop an American lady came across to see what I was examining, which was a diminutive arctic-alpine species that is extremely rare in the UK, just about hanging on at a handful of sites in Scotland, NW England and Snowdonia, and yet it is fairly common in fissures in Iceland's glaciated rocks.
The woman listened attentively as I detailed the fern's ecology to her. Then at another stop later in the day I had a feeling of pride when I accidentally overheard her repeating everything I had said to a group of her fellow countrymen.

Did she credit you?

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #344 on: 11:53:16, 12/04/20 »

wood anemone and cowslip.
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy