Author Topic: TR - The Rhinogs  (Read 7070 times)

- Dave -

• Veteran Member
TR - The Rhinogs
« on: 22:05:39, 06/11/17 »
Some of the finest mountains in Snowdonia and, in my opinion, not as bad as everyone seems to make out

http://allthegearbutnoidea.blogspot.co.uk/2017/10/the-rhinogs.html

I'm on the internet!

Check out my blog here:

http://allthegearbutnoidea.blogspot.co.uk

214/214 Wainwrights

videoman

Re: TR - The Rhinogs
« Reply #1 on: 12:02:55, 07/11/17 »
Brilliant photos and trip report Dave, thanks for sharing.

Cheers
Alan

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 13:10:47, 07/11/17 »
That looks an epic day out - fantastic photos - and not a single other person out there by the looks of it! 

Paul

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 15:01:53, 07/11/17 »
Utmost respect Dave. I've never managed all the Rhinog summits you visited in a single walk. I've always treated R.Fawr as a stand alone walk from either Cwm Bychan or Graig Ddu Isaf and it's a good march back to either location from Diffwys!

Again in doing so I manage to avoid the drudge of a walk from Maes y Garnedd to the start of the western path up R. Fawr. Without detracting in any way from a superb effort, I prefer the northern approach to R. Fawr from Llyn Du. Better scenery. Couldn't do it early this year as the mountain was cordoned off after the fatal helicopter crash and I gave it a decent interval before I went on it.

And that climb from Llyn Hywel slabs to the top of Y Llethr will probably be the death of me one day!

There's not a single photo on your blog which I don't immediately recognise and apart from seeing the hills through someone elses eyes they bring back years of memories from a mis-spent youth through to what I describe as later middle age.

Thank you very much for posting.   

« Last Edit: 15:11:27, 07/11/17 by Penygadair »

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 17:59:04, 07/11/17 »
Having walked in the Rhinogydd, albeit not extensively I really enjoyed that read  O0
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 18:55:22, 07/11/17 »
Excellent, Dave - thank you :)
Skip

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 20:00:54, 07/11/17 »
Really nice write up and an excellent area, I've walk the Rhinogs three times always camped at Talsarnau and left the car there. Then walked up through Bryn Bwbach and onto Moel Ysgyfarnogod and followed the main ridge down to wild camp by Llyn Hywel. The next day walking to Barmouth for a pint in the pub with the painting of H.W.H. Tilman on the wall. The first time I did it we hitched back for the car, not recommended. The second we were a large group and so had positioned cars at each end. The last time we hid bike in the wood behind the layby where the path starts/ends (grid 623157) that was the best trip. 

- Dave -

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 13:40:06, 08/11/17 »

That looks an epic day out - fantastic photos - and not a single other person out there by the looks of it! 

True! It was mid-week so quieter anyway but I only encountered one person in Bwlch Drws-Ardudwy. After that, no one.

Penygadair - thanks for your advice on heading up to Llyn Cwmhosan, certainly seemed easier than the direct climb up Rhinog Fach from the pass. I'm really keen to revisit the northern parts and do Rhinog Fawr from Cwm Bychan - it looks like a better and more interesting route to me.
I'm on the internet!

Check out my blog here:

http://allthegearbutnoidea.blogspot.co.uk

214/214 Wainwrights

ljmeerkat75

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 08:26:16, 09/11/17 »
Great pictures and another great day for it I have never been to the Rhinogs but it looks well worth a visit especially as it seems quieter than the Carneddau

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 18:43:48, 09/11/17 »

I'm really keen to revisit the northern parts and do Rhinog Fawr from Cwm Bychan - it looks like a better and more interesting route to me.

I'm not going to hijack your excellent thread but I will post a TR of the alternative routes to Rhinog Fawr summit. It may just give you an appetite for a second visit.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 21:19:34, 09/11/17 »
I read this report in your blog the other night in bed  :o   :D   I can sort of get my bearings as to where the Rhinogs are now but perhaps my nav isn't ready for remote pathless bog-dodging  :-[

Great write up and pics    O0

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 10:30:32, 10/11/17 »
Well it looks good to me  O0
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 12:48:49, 10/11/17 »
Not sure how I've missed seeing this post but just caught up with the blog and really enjoyed it.  O0

The Rhinogs have been on my radar for a year or so and the pictures/write up were a great inspiration to do it sooner than later.

gary m

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 17:50:35, 10/11/17 »
Great photos
you have 1 life live it

gary m

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 19:13:51, 11/02/18 »
Lovely photos. One day i will venture there
you have 1 life live it