Author Topic: TR - Arenig Fawr  (Read 3287 times)

and101

TR - Arenig Fawr
« on: 20:51:49, 10/05/19 »
My first here guys so please go gentle!

I thought I'd treat myself to a day off on my birthday a few years back (2017 to be exact) so I pack up my gear and headed out to the Snowdonia National Park. Given that I had a free choice of location, I decided on a lesser frequented area of the park just outside of Bala on a cold February morning.

Parking at the disused Arenig Quarry on the lane off the A212, I decided to go counter-clockwise to the summit. Heading back down the lane and then along the path passed the bridge, I turned left and started the steep climb up.

Once I reached the fence and crossed it, I used it as a handrail to keep me on track especially as the snow began falling as I went higher, yet the views behind were still stunning as I gazed towards Snowdon, Glyders and beyond.

The snow wasn't heavy but the clag began to surround the summits and the temperature dropped further.

Reaching the summit, and the memorial to the B-17 pilots that crashed on there in 1943, I stopped for a quick drink and trail bar, whilst trying to keep out the strong cold wind. I was joined by two other walkers that were using the small cairn to layer up before heading off the way I came.

There was a quick break in the cloud so I pop my head over the rocks to capture a quick shot before grabbing my gear to continue on my way.

Frost covered the ground as I headed lower making a bearing towards Y Castell as it was marked on the map above Llyn Arenig Fawr.

I stopped for a rest, taking in the views.

Finally there was a path to follow that was guiding me back to the small (tiny more like!) bothy just alongside the makeshift ladder bridge. Keeping to the churned up farm track I flanked Moel y Garth towards the road once again. Back on the lane, I turned left and ambled down the lane taking in the sights of Arenig from below and marvelling at the change in temperature from the top.

Upon reaching the car once again, my GPS showed the walk as a windy, cold yet pleasurable 7.4 mile hike around a great overlooked mountain. I did produce a short video that is also on YT if anyone is interested (not sure if I can link it on here).

EDIT: link to YouTube video added.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=o9dDWMCqvmw&list=PLb5wFQ9ibUZMGQpXoTamZaX25i96WfrK8&index=2&t=7s [nofollow]

« Last Edit: 23:10:33, 10/05/19 by and101 »

phil1960

• Veteran Member
Re: TR - Arenig Fawr
« Reply #1 on: 21:48:51, 10/05/19 »
Here you go and101, from a few years ago a TR also including Arenig Fawr
http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=30935.0
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 22:22:20, 10/05/19 »
A much neglected mountain; only climbed it once during the 17 years that I lived in Snowdonia. There are still a few hills in this forgotten corner that I haven't had the pleasure of climbing.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 22:27:49, 10/05/19 »
If you want to link to YouTube or any other website, copy the url (web page address), click on the globe symbol above the smileys, and then paste the url into the pop up window. Job done - give it a try.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

and101

« Reply #4 on: 23:11:17, 10/05/19 »
If you want to link to YouTube or any other website, copy the url (web page address), click on the globe symbol above the smileys, and then paste the url into the pop up window. Job done - give it a try.

Thanks again. Link added.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 23:15:10, 10/05/19 »
Great TR 101, love the 3rd pic, though Mel may be disappointed by the lack of flares.

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 06:11:08, 11/05/19 »
Enjoyed your TR, photos seem to capture the essence of those sorts of days on the hill.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 08:05:15, 11/05/19 »
Great photos. Love the moody skies over the snowy tops! O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 15:35:38, 12/05/19 »
Brilliant photos showing the contrast in conditions, one of those days when the clag and snow give the most satisfying results.
The Arenig range is one of our favourite haunts, great for days of backpacking in near complete solitude on most occasions.

astaman

« Reply #9 on: 06:11:14, 13/05/19 »
Enjoyed your trip report very much.

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 08:15:54, 13/05/19 »
Enjoyed that, thanks for sharing. Arenig Fawr is still on my to-do list so it was interesting to see the pictures and scenery.  O0 :)

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 20:05:02, 13/05/19 »
Nice write up and pics  O0 

I love the fact you set off in relatively "nice looking" weather, got up higher and ... BAM... winter conditions.  Goes to show what a few feet of altitude can do.

and101

« Reply #12 on: 21:30:33, 13/05/19 »
Enjoyed that, thanks for sharing. Arenig Fawr is still on my to-do list so it was interesting to see the pictures and scenery.  O0 :)

Thanks although I probably could have taken more pics but was shooting video too at the time so that took time up.

and101

« Reply #13 on: 21:31:52, 13/05/19 »
Nice write up and pics  O0 

I love the fact you set off in relatively "nice looking" weather, got up higher and ... BAM... winter conditions.  Goes to show what a few feet of altitude can do.

Its often overlooked the difference that can be experienced from valley to summit even on relatively low mountains in Snowdonia like Arenig.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy