Author Topic: Walk suggestions  (Read 1387 times)

dave_p

Walk suggestions
« on: 13:03:09, 13/12/18 »
I'm Birmingham based and am going to be taking a couple of others out into the hills on sunday.  I'm a pretty experienced walker but no hardened mountaineer.  The two I'll be with are less experienced than me, one especially so (although she may not come).
I'm aware of the forecast of snow on saturday for the dark peak, a welsh mountains.
I'm looking for suggestions for a walk which is reasonably easy to drive to the start of in snowy conditions, has a pub/cafe at the start, ascends into more wintry conditions but has escape routes if things get too much.  Max 2 hour drive from Birmingham. 

My best thought so far is the Berwyns, parking by Pistyll rhaeadr.  If things go well we would ascend Moel Sych and walk the ridge to Cadair Berwyn, then return via Llyn Luncaws.  If conditions are bad then we'd just walk up round the waterfall and then do a there-and-back to the tarn.  I'm concerned that the road in could be tricky if it's snowy/icy (I don't have a 4x4).
Does anyone have a better suggestion?
« Last Edit: 13:33:51, 13/12/18 by dave_p »

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
Re: Walk suggestions
« Reply #1 on: 14:30:25, 13/12/18 »
I'm Birmingham based and am going to be taking a couple of others out into the hills on sunday.   

Hi Dave, according to the CWF map you are in Toulouse.
For a nice easy introduction for your friend(s) how about a nice amble along the BCN ?

dave_p

« Reply #2 on: 14:56:03, 13/12/18 »

Hi Dave, according to the CWF map you are in Toulouse.
For a nice easy introduction for your friend(s) how about a nice amble along the BCN ?
Ok, for more details:  The two people I'm taking include 1 who is originally from Dudley and knows the BCN pretty well (he used to live on a boat).  The other is from Mexico City.  They both live there now.  The Mexican has never seen snow.  And further, walking in wild areas in Mexico  a rather fordbidding experience for the casual walker due to personal safety concerns. 

They've come over for a couple of weeks (family Christmas)

They want to go somewhere reasonably wild and rugged, and a bit of snow would be a very exciting bonus.  Just imagine if you'd never seen snow? 

To reassure forum members, I have plenty of spare warm and waterproof clothing to keep a shivering Mexican warm.

Chris954

« Reply #3 on: 16:12:19, 13/12/18 »
Start in Castleton, go up Cave Dale, turn right where the paths meet and either come back down Winnats pass or carry on towards Peak cavern and down the disused road under Mam Tor back into Castleton.

dave_p

« Reply #4 on: 10:11:40, 14/12/18 »
Start in Castleton, go up Cave Dale, turn right where the paths meet and either come back down Winnats pass or carry on towards Peak cavern and down the disused road under Mam Tor back into Castleton.

Thanks.  Good suggestion.

LostBoy84A

« Reply #5 on: 17:51:59, 18/12/18 »
A bit late for last weekend I know but the Long Mynd from Church Stretton would have fitted the bill. Easy to access from Cardingmill valley and always seems wilder and more remote than it actually is.

dave_p

« Reply #6 on: 10:14:52, 21/12/18 »
Thanks for the reply.  We didn't actually go last weekend, it's been put back to this weekend.  The Long Mynd is a good call but I would lean towards Ashes Hollow from Little Stretton.  It's far quieter and just as pretty.  Back via Callow Hill

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 11:22:48, 21/12/18 »
How about the Malverns Ridge? A completely different area but easy from Birmingham and if there is snow, seems doubtful at the moment, they will get it. It's a good straightforward, ups and downs walk with plenty of options to shorten/change route, good views and several pubs within easy reach.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

dave_p

« Reply #8 on: 11:28:19, 21/12/18 »
Another good suggestion, thanks.  It does have lots of pubs and options for shortening if needed.  Downside is it may not really be 'wild' enough for my guest's expectations.  Good back up option though, especially if the forecast is bad.

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 12:48:38, 21/12/18 »
If your inclined towards Ashes Hollow and you want of put a bit of spice in your route. Try finding the head of Townbrooke valley, after visiting Pole Bank, today's trod may give away, but it needs a fairly precise approach to reveal the actual view of the valley then, on reaching the reservoir bear, right and right to get on the path that leads back up to the Ashlet, off the south end of the Ashlet do a careful zig-zag descent back into Ashes Hollow, it is open access so you can leave the righteous way.

Might set you up for a pub crawl between the Green Dragon and the Ragleth.

RE. the careful zig-zag descent. I taught Mrs BWW to run downhill, my skills in that dept. now just a memory, she set off down into Ashes Hollow like a red indian in pursuit of General Custer's scalp.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy