Author Topic: TR A walk along the western shore road of Thirlmere Sat 10 Feb 18  (Read 2058 times)

April

• Veteran Member
Beefy chose the walk on Saturday. Saturday's forecast was for a gloomy, rainy day with a gusty wind. We got the bus to Smaithwaite (pronounced "Smethet") to walk along the shore road on the western side of Thirlmere. It was gloomy and a bit rainy, low cloud and no views.

Beefy walking along the road with Fisher Crag seen ahead

The bothy near Fisher Crag

Our plans for lunch in it were scuppered. There were two people still asleep in their sleeping bags inside it. It was 1pm. The keg of beer outside the bothy told a story. We left them to sleep off the beer and had our lunch on the forest road a bit further down. It had stopped raining and the wind wasn't bad at all.

Our lunch time view

Blencathra can be seen in the distance now the cloud is lifting

We dropped back down to the shore road to continue our walk to the other end of the lake. Note all the felled trees, this is where the army trucks would be ferrying the lazy sods up Fisher Crag to access the zip wire. Surely it won't be given the go ahead.

Looking back to Raven Crag

The snowy shore road

I'd said we wouldn't need spikes :D It was very cold in places along here and the snow hadn't thawed.

Stunning scenery for a man made place eh?

The weather brightened up and the cloud was lifting, we were really enjoying the walk, peaceful and tranquil, a gem of a place this.

Beware the falling rocks!

We felt like we could be in Canada or somewhere. How could anyone want to ruin this place?

Low mist across the lake

The view opened up and we had fab views southward.

Snow-striped trees!

Looking back at the snow-striped trees

Reflections on Thirlmere

More reflections on Thirlmere

Here are a few words to the people who say there is nothing here for them and they would only visit if there was a zip wire here. Go somewhere else if you can't appreciate this as it is. That is the polite version of the words in my head.

Wyth Burn

Steel Fell

What a wonderful walk this was in the end, all the better for it being unexpectedly dry. Our route was Smaithwaite - Dam Road - Thirlmere western shore road - Bothy below Fisher Crag - shore road - Steel End - Armboth Road End. 10.1km with 368m ascent according to viewranger. I don't think this can be right? I reckon no more than 100m! We timed the walk perfectly, just 10 minutes to wait for the bus. Beefy you can choose the walk for Sunday too.
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
Lovely pics Ape especially like the reflections  O0
Bothy hoggers are now on the banned list  >:(
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Lovely photos April. It looks very chilly, it was cold enough down here.

I can't believe that the planning permission will be granted either but UU and TTT have invested a fair amount of time and money in it, they must be thinking that they have a good chance. They must have known that there would be fierce opposition after the Honister plans were thrown out. Here's hoping we are right and they are wrong.

I assume that one of the words in your head was 'off!'

adalard

• Veteran Member

How could anyone want to ruin this place?

Absolutely!  >:(

Really enjoyed the TR and the fantastic photos, April. I was admiring some "snow-striped" (love that phrase) trees locally this weekend, such a magical effect.

Shame about the bothy slugs - hope they both had stinking hangovers when they eventually crawled out of their pits!  ;) ;D

photonut

Nice TR April... loving the photos, especially the snow-striped trees.

Looking at your photos it's so difficult to comprehend someones desire to want to change the picturesque views... just to make a few quid.  One man profits, everyone else loses out!!

Cheers
Lee

photonut

Bothy hoggers are now on the banned list  >:(

:2funny:

April

• Veteran Member
I assume that one of the words in your head was 'off!'

Yes it was, how did you guess?

Thanks all  :)

Let us hope Thirlmere remains as peaceful as it was on Saturday. I forgot to mention that although the A591 is just on the other side of the lake you can't hear the noise of the traffic on the western shore road until you get nearer to Steel End when the lake narrows.
Hate will never win

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
Fabulous photos April    :)

I can't understand how some people are prepared to put profit before the beauty and peace of such a lovely place

pleb

• Veteran Member
I'm getting a sense of deja vu here....................... ;D ;D ;D
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
Lovely photos April - didn't Beefy take his new friend from Place Fell this week?

beefy

• Veteran Member
Lovely photos April - didn't Beefy take his new friend from Place Fell this week?
Oi...  :tickedoff:
And I thought we were friends  ;)
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Mel

• Veteran Member
Lovely report and pics April  :)

How anyone would think a zipwire would enhance the area is beyond me  >:(

I hope, when my pal's caravan site re-opens for "the season" I can get there and do some walking round Thirlmere myself as I've only tickled one end of it on previous walks.

April

• Veteran Member
Thanks all  O0

Dovegirl - thank you, I think almost everyone on here is in total agreement with you.

Pleb - deja vu? Have you been before then?  :D

pdstsp - vidbomber is on the banned list  :)

Mel - thank you and enjoy Thirlmere  :) While it is still left in peace.

Hate will never win

pleb

• Veteran Member
Lovely report and pics April  :)

How anyone would think a zipwire would enhance the area is beyond me  >:(

I hope, when my pal's caravan site re-opens for "the season" I can get there and do some walking round Thirlmere myself as I've only tickled one end of it on previous walks.
Tickled one end?
(sorry :-[ )
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

henryb

• Veteran Member
Good report and photos April O0  Saturday was pretty awful weather wise, I just walked from Grasmere to Ambleside and my camera pretty much stayed in my ruck-sack the whole time. For some reason, I think FEbruary is the wettest month for walking :(

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy